Help with chips

@dbrn32 I have a question, I am adding 5 5w(Max) chips to my current LED build. They are 1200mA recommended current at 1.8-2.0V forward voltage. How would I power these.
I wouldn’t be able to connect them to my HLG-120h-c1400b driver would I? I feel like it would fry them, but if my understanding is right it has 2 F-series strips connected to it atm which is 48v Max each for a total of 96v. If I add the 5 chips that would put it at 106v below the 108v CC region. Would it send 106v through each chip or am I thinking of how they work wrong.
If not would a 12v 1a power supply work?

If they’re recommended at 1.2 amps there shouldn’t be a big issue running them at 1.4 amps I wouldn’t think. But how much headroom do you currently have on available voltage st current driver?

Are these name brand diodes that we can find a data sheet on? That voltage seems a little low at that current.

I haven’t been able to find one. They are Chanzon chips. I usually have the strips dimmed down so it would more than likely be around the 1a-1.2a range. And I haven’t found a datasheet on them. this is all the info they give.
Quantity: 5 pieces / Pack
Brand: Chanzon
Power: 5 Watt (Max)
Emitting Color: Far Red (730nm)
Recommended Current: 1200mA
Forward Voltage: 1.8-2.0V
Luminous Flux: No
Emitting Angle: 120-140 degree
With Double Golden Wire (99.99%) and Copper Frame

I am using the HLG-120h-c1400b Which has a CC region of 54-108V. Adding 5 of them would put me at around 106, IF I am running my strips at max, which I don’t. So I think i would be safe there.

Although now that I’m thinking about it I would want them on a separate driver. I am using them to get the emerson effect. And want them to be on around 15mins before hand and after lights out so actually connecting them to that driver wont work for me.

So would a 12v 1a power supply work?

Dimming adjusts the current which will only have a little effect on the voltage. But if there’s enough there’s enough.

What’s cost on those, is it a big deal to move toward a diode we have the actual info on?

You wanna run them in series or parallel?

Well I already have these so I figured I might as well try and make them work

If its needed I can just order a small Meanwell driver and run them that wouldn’t be a big deal. I was just trying to see if i could make it work with stuff i had around the house.

What protections does the power supply offer? I’m sure I can find a small constant current driver that will run them in series if you want?

Probably. But you would want to series connect those leds on 12v 1amp supply. Otherwise you’re looking at drive current being 200ma per diode.

1 Like

None that I’m aware of, It would just be a small 12v power adapter that you can find anywhere so I doubt it has any.If need be I can just order the mean well ldd-1000ls they are like 8$ I was just curious to see if I could do it with some adapters i already have, and they wont run long. 20 mins a day max.
Definitely appreciate the help.

1 Like

You can try something like that. But 12v 1 amp you’ll definitely want in series

1 Like

Instead of a constant current driver, you could probably just buy a 2.7 Ohm 5 watt resistor from Frys and wire everything up in series to the wall wart 12 volt supply. That should be rated for your 1.2 amps or more. Or a 1 amp supply would work but not quite as bright.

The resistor should drop about 3 volts to give you 1.11 amps through the LEDs if the LEDs forward voltage is 1.8 volts. It’s not going to be very efficient but with the low power and short run time, you wouldn’t care.

You could also get very exact 1.25 amp current, using an LM317 and a 1 ohm 2 watt resistor. The resistor probably cost more then the regulator chip. I think it’s 58 cents at digikey. You do need to mount the regulator chip on a heat sink with an insulator pad and washer because the mounting tab is connected internally. If you are interested I’ll draw you a schematic, but Mean Well is fine too.

1 Like

Got it running. I bought a generic adapter where you can switch the output voltage, 12v made the lights blink. 9v kept em lit up so that should put me at around 12w or so which should work just fine for the desired effect.

The thing that saves your LEDs at 12 volts is that you are using a low-power wall wart power supply. They have a tiny little transformer in them that limits how much current comes out. If you hooked them to a 12 volt car battery they would probably explode. Between the little transformer and the (1.8 x 5) = 9 volts you are probably fine.