Help: What seed to cultivate in the Sonoran desert?

Okay, I’ve been researching and reading this site for months and overwhelmed! Please can anyone steer me toward the best seed selection for my intent and highly unique environment:

1. I want to grow something for medicinal use (pain, stress, sleep)

2. I live in the Sonoran desert AZ. It’s tough to grow anything here that is not indigenous. Sun, heat and low humidity. Right now warm days, cold nights. That will change in a couple months to predominantly warm/hot sunny — always low humidity — 24/7 until Halloween.

3. I’ll need to grow outside for space reasons and privacy is not an issue

4. They will be in pots outdoors—not in ground

5. I’m a Newbie at this so something that is too difficult

Now, for all you savvy, smart, experienced growers, what seed am I looking for???

In advance, a million thanks!!!

Look into landrace strains and choose from what you’re looking for. ILGM has Durban poison. Seed supreme also has a bunch of landrace strain seeds

I would recommend the Afghani strains from the Seed Shop above as your environment is not too far from Afghanistans

Thanks for educating me on land race strains! From the past hour researching, it sounds like a smart reco! Again, many thanks for sharing your insight!

Makes sense! Smart! Thanks for offering your perspective!

I forgot to mention Hindu Kush seeds (from above Seed Shop)

I am planting Afghani and Hidu Kush seeds myself this grow season, under glass, exterior in western Wales on the top of a mountain, so I reckon these gals will feel at home…I bloody well hope so !

J68

Interesting choice in your environment (I think of it as cloudy with little sun in Wales). Curious, will you do fem or auto flowering?

We tell people its cloudy and rainy but that is only to scare off potential tourists… but its the wind howling in from the Atlantic and off the Irish Sea that is the character building stuff…I grow 10 Autos a year and they deliver the yield and strength I require for the year…all this is now possible with the help of the good folk here… follow the above Guides is my best advice :man_farmer:
Yabba Dabba Doo !

:+1:t2:Good luck with the crop and wind

and good luck with your high desert grow…i shall post some pics as the grow progresses :sunglasses:

Thanks, would love to see, James!

All the best,

Donna (aka online Rex)

Donna (aka online Rex)

I skyped my cousin in Amsterdam and told him about your query and he thought that Kumaoni pot may be for you as it is from Nepal.

Best regards
James (aka J68 and a half) :pirate_flag:

Thanks a million, James (and to your cousin)! That’s a really smart reco too! I need a strain that can endure my radical climate. Need to get something going fast since it’s now starting my Spring.

Okay, so I LOVE that you’re planting based on lunar cycle!!! Made me laugh out loud over coffee this morning. I’m way into lunar cycles too (for backpacking in Rocky Mountains). Totally spiritual and nothing better for body and soul than climbing mountain and building fire and sleeping under a full moon. I trust plants feel it too!! And I use natural herbs for pesticide prevention too — lavander around the house keeps scorpions away.

Hey, please stay in touch. You’re really cool!!!

Donna

P.S. — what insects do basil and dill deter?

Rex aka D,
well we don’t have scorpions ( thankfully) here in middle earth but we got the RED SPIDER MITE and they are repulsed by the odour of the basil and dill also it is most fabulous to eat my own ganga soul infused herbs…
I recommend THAI BASIL as it tastes and looks luxurious …also I am growing in fabric pots this year, which have to be imported from the US all the way to my mountain top…Go Amazon !

Time for tea ! Yippee ! :cowboy_hat_face:

Adios Amiga…:rainbow:
James aka J68

Here are some pictures for you of Kumoani pot growing in the Himalayas
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB794GB794&q=kumaoni+marijuana&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiGqdfjtbbgAhUuM-wKHVeTASsQsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1233&bih=572#imgrc=_

Hey J68– I KNOW!! Profile of Kumoani is spectacular!! Would love to grow it if I thought I could pull it off. Today I shifted strategy a bit — will do a combination indoor / outdoor to help manage against my ultra low humidity. Bought seeds today (so tired of over thinking it) as well as some mushroom-based nutrients for the soil. Setting my expectations low. Will be thrilled if I can produce something (anything) here. We’ll see…

Thanks for links. Will be thinking of you and your seedlets on 17th and 19th and sending positive energy from the desert in your direction.

Agree, Thai basil outstanding! I try to keep it in my herb garden for use in various sauces. Divine flavor!!

All the best,

Aka Rex

Hi aka Rex,
my head spins also spins when I overthink my pot plan…I tell myself ‘its only pot’ and then it becomes fun…which I LOVE :green_heart:
I send you this picture Donna of Pen y Fan mountain which is up the road from me .
Bestest
James aka modern human

3-6-18-3-1-0003_hols_mid_PenyFanCribyn_16x9

and for balance this is the other side of the weather here

_103853784_1dog

JAMES— Pen y Fan is awesome!! All those beautiful shades of green. Bet the air smells incredibly fresh. You’re so lucky to have it so close to home!! And what history too. Burial grounds dating back to BRONZE age!?! Gosh, I’d LOVE to hike it!

Here are a couple pics of mountain next to my home that I hike nearly everyday Tom’s Thumb. It’s kind of special.

Flow pic is from yesterday on trail (spring is now in full force with wildflowers). Peak is ~3800’ (makes for a decent climb). I hike quite a bit (did over 1000 miles last year throughout Mountain West). Thus the knee and foot pain and use of CDB oil and inspiration to grow my own stuff.

Looks like a faithful, happy dog. Yours?

what beautiful country ! :star_struck:
reminds me of my time in deserts of Jordan clambering about Wadi Rum, just up the road from Petra… and I managed to score some ok-ish pot there guy on a !!!
Sadly the dog is not mine as the farms around here are sheep and cattle and the Wesh farmers are most trigger happy (shotguns only)…boo hoo…although there is a field mouse called Captain Beefheart who visits so all is not lost !

I send you full moon best wishes.
James

a song for you