Help starting my set up

Hi, starting with Bruce banner autoflower, looking to only grow 2 plants to start. Having issues with germination, tried all 3 ways to germinate, out of 5 seeds, only 1 popped out of coco coir. One popped in paper towel, barely then stopped, one is trying to pop in just water. Very confused on fertilizer, when, how much, etc. Lighting issue has me even more confused. I have limited space, what is the most effective, inexpensive light to get my plant from start to finish? I would greatly appreciate any and all beginner grow tips. Thanks

2 Likes

Welcome to the community. What type of room are you wanting to grow in?
I can’t help much on the water soaking of the seeds. I have always just germinated in wet paper towels in a zipper bag. You need to decide on your medium and what type of pots you are going to use. You will need a PH meter and a ppm meter. The easiest nutrients I believe would be Jacks 321 or earth dust. The light is going to be the most important piece of equipment you need. Depending on your budget that is where you need to spend the most.
I’m sorry it I wasn’t much help but maybe :thinking: gave you something to think about. :blush::v:

3 Likes

welcome also flitme is right light is the most important part i also am new grew my first indoor this year grew a skittles auto and got just under 4 oz after dried and i kept it as simple as possible are you using a tent i grew in a 2x2x4 tent but you only get 1 plant so i only needed 1 light it aint cheap but a hlg 135 kit light is good for 1 plant and the cost is going to be around $160 so if you want 2 plants you should have 2 as i said i went as simple as i could and still had about $300 in it but i would suggest using 5 gal fabric pots so you can poke holes in it to tie down branches go with coco coir perlite mix and all you need is jacks 321 threw the whole grow no other nutes again my op only this site is a lot of help but remember for every 1 question youll get 10 answers a lot is trill and error but hey you can do it i did good luck ps read alot hear and ask a lot about your light a lot of false infoabout lites out there

2 Likes

You can get the holiday special at HLG the HLG Diablo 200 for 169.15 free shipping. click on payment options for discount.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community ! What size space do you plan to grow in ? Keep in mind you’re light is most important pieces of equipment for inside grow. :+1::v:

1 Like

Thank you all for the feedback, I am appreciative, I did purchase similar light to what colt suggested, it also comes with built in fans… Waiting it’s arrival. Going with 5 gallon bags, and jacks. I’m in a studio, so kinda going old school, making my own grow area in apt. No room for grow tent. Disappointed in seeds, tried to do germinate 2 in paper towel, which I usually am successful with, but they kinda popped, then nothing for days, put them in coco, and hoped for the best, but still nothing. Did 3 in coco, I got 1. Now I put 2 in water, to see if they germinate, cause I’m seriously disappointed in the odds.

2 Likes

Likely not warm enough to germinate. 75 to 78 f is ideal.

1 Like

What @colt recommended was a new 200 watt (actual) 648 Diablo quantum board from Horticultural Lighting Group. An excellent choice for small gardens. It is passively cooled. If it has a fan it is probably a blurple. Nothing wrong with blurples. You just have to get one with enough watt draw at the wall.

2 Likes

By similar, I meant he gave me a better idea of what I was looking for, I got 2000 watt led veg/ bloom grow light, with built in fans, a koscheal. I’m working with a small area, budget. My fist time, such a learning curve with it all. Excited.

I found the light on Amazon

With both switches on it draws 239 watts. Don’t believe the coverage areas in the product description when it comes to cannabis. It will cover a 2x2, maybe a little larger, area during flower with both channels on.
I forgot earlier to welcome you to the community. Many of us had taken the blurple path for our first light. These two combined totaled around 250W+. The PVC structure is 30x30.

Good luck.

Welcome, Sweetmel. If you don’t have room for a tent you still want to enclose the plants to get the reflective light effect. That doesn’t have to be anything special just a white surface. And if you ever do photo plants you must have control from outside light sources. Small tents can be had for cheap. But be warned, You will soon want bigger and better…
Myfriendis410 is probably right on temperature. I germinate seed near my computer that is on 24/7. temps near it are about 71F-79F. just make sure they don’t dry out. Good luck with your grow!

I had them on top of stove, kept em wet, usually paper towel works for me, maybe just a couple duds. I did put 2 in shotglass with water in medicine cabinet, both are growing a tail as we speak. Yeah, I am making a reflective “house”. Gotta get a little creative. Thank you for your advice.