HELP Seedlings are dying

Strain; OG Kush Type, Femminized ordered 5 from ILGM
Soil in pots
System type? Under CFL

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?
UNKNOWN. Just ordered a PH meter from Amazon yesterday, should be here soon.

What is strength of nutrient mix?
I used regular soil from flower bed, and added Nature’s Care® Organic & Natural Raised Bed Plant Food.
Ratio of NPK = 10-2-8

Indoor or Outdoor
Indoor but Im unsure if the light from one bulb is enough so I move it to window sometimes 11am-4pm

Light system, size?
One CFL bulb 2700k 23 watts

Temps; Day, Night
70 F - 80 F indoor

Humidity; Day, Night
UNKOWN. PH meter will also have humidity levels.

Ventilation system;
None

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
None

Co2; Yes, No
Unknown

Seedlings arrived, used papertowl method, 3 quick to sprout roots put them in plastic pots from home depot no drain or holes (might be a problem there) used regular soil from flower bed with a mix of Nature’s Care® Organic & Natural Raised Bed Plant Food.
They grew well first couple days but stems were very long and stretchy, read it was a lack of light and best to move the stem back and forth to strengthen it so stupid me I did and I put them under a lamp, little did I know it was incandescent bulbs. Burned one of the seedlings. Learned my lesson after more research.

Now they are under 1 CFL bulb, I water them daily with a spray bottle. I am not giving up on them but I need help!

Products Im getting right now:
Espoma SS16 16-Quart Organic Seed Starter Premium Potting Mix
Espoma PR8 8-Quart Organic Perlite
Marge Plus Soil Moisture Meter, 3 in 1 Soil Test Kit Gardening Tools for PH, Light & Moisture, Plant Tester for Home
Philips 433557 23W 100-watt T2 Twister 6500K CFL Light Bulb, 4-Pack

I’m guessing its Lack of Light, CO2 and possibly the nutrients are off or PH is… Any help is highly appreciated

1 Like

Hi @Malfury and welcome!

Some of the pros should be around soon to help with your issues, I am a newb too, just finishing up with my first grow.

One thing I will and can say with some knowledge is if you have your babies in a pot with no drain holes, get busy making them. Roots need not only water, but air to feel healthy. One thing MJ hates more than anything is to be in poorly drained soil.

Others will be by to offer more specific advice. Good Luck!!!

6 Likes

Alright thanks for the info, Im thinking of repotting them once the seedling soil comes in. Ill drill some holes on bottom and sides too.

5 Likes

I am going to tag some of my favorite and successful men…(they are pretty good at this growing stuff too ROFL)

@bob31 @Countryboyjvd1971 @DoomSack @Covertgrower @dbrn32 @GreenThunder @Myfriendis410

Anyone want to help out here?

3 Likes

Howdy @Malfury

I think those containers are too big, unless you are pretty experienced I’d suggest smaller one until they was at least a couple of weeks old. You should be misting them when watering and not much water because they can died from lack of oxygen (too much water in the soil). I’m also not familiar with those lights, but those sprouts look like a lot of stretching going on which means the lights might be too far away…That potting soils probably fine, just too big of a space to keep watered. And they do well with a dome (plastic bottle or zip lock bag domes work good) to keep moisture levels high.

2 Likes

@rodri59 I’m proud and humbled that you feel I know enough to be tagged for advice :sunglasses: I’m only on my second set so still consider myself a beginner though I have learned a LOT here and feel I’m no longer a ‘fresh’ newbie :smile: (also, I’m fem not men - impossible to know based on a screen name) :wink:

@Malfury What rodri59 says is true, holes/drainage is a must. You could have an over water problem… I’m not familiar with soil as I’m growing in coco coir with felt pots. I prefer the coco because they say you can’t over water it. I’m not certain but feel like you do need more light, though I’m not sure how vital the lighting is in seedling stage (and idk when seedling stage ends and veg begins). From what I’ve read co2 doesn’t really come into play unless you have a very large grow.

Good luck and keep asking questions. Folks here are super friendly about sharing advice and knowledge :v:

4 Likes

GT you will always be a man to me :crazy_face:

Seriously though, I don’t know why my default gender when I don’t know for sure is to say he/him/handsome.

Maybe I just equate growing weed with guys since all of the weed we have ever gotten off the streets has been from a guy.

Anyway, forgive me. You know WAYYYYY more than I do.

1 Like

Thanks Rodri! I’m the first goofball to see this on your list lol.

@Malfury the first thing I would say is that you’ve gotten great advice so far. First though, whatever soil you choose make sure it has no added fertilizer. You do not need any nutrients until the plants are much older.

You definitely need more light. You haven’t mentioned any grow space: do you have a space set aside? Do you have a tent? If so, how large? This will give you a good idea of what kind of lighting you will need. I’m an led guy and there are a large number of inexpensive ones on Amazon that can grow great weed. Mars, Meizhi and Viparspectra are all getting good reviews.

Ph 6.5 water or distilled water only for right now. A spray bottle misting a tiny amount 2 or 3 times a day is all you need.

If you have questions, use the @ sign in front of our name which will flag us.

@dbrn32, @bob31, @garrigan62 anything to add?

5 Likes

Forgiveness not necessary :kissing_heart: Like I said, impossible to tell based on a screen name. I usually assume folks are a male too… unless the profile pic is a pet :wink: Maybe I should use a pic of my pooch :grin:

Being obsessive has helped me learn a lot, quickly :sunglasses:

3 Likes

ROFL, guess mine is a dead giveaway then GT

2 Likes

@Malfury also is that just a single cfl light for all of those? You may need more and closer. but idk I’m an led and the sun kinda of grower.

2 Likes

@Malfury just like @DoomSack says is to place a half of a water bottle over the top to keep moisture in and the humidity. What everyone says is correct. Closer lighting also would help. As long as you do those things with proper ph’ed water, you should be set. I’m around late, being AKST and 4 hours behind the East coast, feel free to tag me. I know some. But no expert.

I appreciate the tag @rodri59 I’m honered that you think I know something. Truthfully “I only know enough to be dangerous…” as my boss says. Lmao!

2 Likes

Get more light and push soil around the stem of the stretched seedling to stand her back up. They stretch for light until they can’t support themselves then topple over. More light seems to me to be your first action of remedy.

3 Likes

Looks like you guys have this handled, tag me if you need anything! @rodri59 @GreenThunder @DoomSack

5 Likes

I agree! Proceed as everyone has described. Lights, air to pots, etc. @Myfriendis410 @rodri59 @DoomSack @Covertgrower all good info. Sorry if I missed anyone.

3 Likes

I had a similar problem with the same strain from ILGM except that none of the three I ordered ever popped out at all. After digging each see out, I found that the root had developed and just didn’t continue to grow.

Mine is of my pet and (feeling around) yup! Still male lmao! @rodri59

If you can’t tell, I’m high haha.

6 Likes

Okay I was drinking water and it ended up on my monitor.

Get down wit ur bad self!!!

Thanks, @Myfriendis410

5 Likes