Help Please. First time set up

Hi,

My tent is W100cm x L100cm x H200cm. Please could someone tell me what HPS light would be best, Also what size extractor would be suitable for the light wattage.

How many plants do you plan on growing ?

(Quickly googling what 100 centimeters is in feet :rofl:)

3 Likes

:rofl: Its 1 meter sq, 2 meters high. No more than 3/4.

1 Like

You can use a 400 watt or 600 watt HID light in that space. Be sure to get a digital dimmable ballast so that you can adjust the wattage as needed. Be sure to get an air-cooled hood. The hood will have a 6 inch inlet/outlet, so that determines what size exhaust fan you will use (6 inch). growershouse has good deals on complete HID kits - digital ballast, air-cooled hood, and an HPS bulb. Since you stated your tent size in metric measurements, I suspect you arenā€™t in the United States. But, you can still use their site to get an idea of what you should look for. If you purchase a kit like that, I would recommend buying an MH bulb at the same time, to use during the vegetative stage.

2 Likes

Hi Tommy.

Wow thank you for all that info bro, much appreciated. :+1:

That would be 1 meter or 39 1/2".

2 Likes

:us:ā€˜Murica!ā€™ :us: :rofl::joy:

2 Likes

:uk:/ :es: :rofl:

Why did you recommend MH over CMH?

As an LED advocate if you have the money Iā€™d recommend getting an LED like and HLG or if youā€™re not a DIY person maybe buy a gavida or something similar, just if you go LED do not buy a ā€œblurpleā€ light which have a reddish bluish purple light, cheap and ineffective

2 Likes

CMH would first require a mogul base adapter and Iā€™m not sure how well it would work with an unmatched ballast, if at all. MH is great for veg and HPS is great for flower. Thereā€™s no need to complicate it more than that.

1 Like

I did a quick search and it appears that while technically you could use a CMH bulb and mogul adapter with a standard HID ballast and fixture, the efficiency and lifespan would go down significantly as CMH is low frequency and MH/HPS are high frequency.

CMH to my understanding is much better than MH sooo thatā€™s why I ask. Any other opinions?
@Myfriendis410
@PurpNGold74
@dbrn32
@WickedAle
@AAA
@BobbyDigital
@peachfuzz
@Covertgrower
@Gremmall
@MattyBear

1 Like

I would prefer CMH, because it is true spectrum, and you donā€™t have to switch when flowering.
I still prefer LEDā€¦ #cobnugs @Nicky

2 Likes

The poster asked about HPS. For all intents and purposes, CMH is not compatible. MH and HPS both work in the same fixture.

I would choose CMH over HID, but thatā€™s not the information @LMP1 was asking for.

3 Likes

Oh I far prefer LEDā€™s as well

1 Like

I agree, wouldnā€™t mix cmh bulb on ballast designed for the others.

Imo air cooled 600 is hps rig of choice in 1mĀ²

4 Likes