Help! My buds are unsticky and unsmelly

I’m on my third grow now and my first two ended the same way. I’m begging for help this time around.

My plants were healthy, trained and looking great as we went into the last 4-6 weeks. After that it’s the wait and watch time. My plants were 3 weeks late when I finally cut them down.

Now, I’m willing to concede I cut them too early. I’ve read every post on this site on this topic :slight_smile: But I have no frame of reference here. How long is too long? How long does it take a trichome go from cloudy to amber? Even approximately. When they are 3 weeks late how much more time is reasonable?

But my larger question relates to those final few weeks before harvest. My buds are dry. Where are the terpenes? Where is the resin? Just mediocre homegrown from my beautiful plants. Smells like vegetative matter.

Is this all related to cutting too soon? Shouldn’t the buds be already at at least partially ripened? The tent doesn’t even smell.

Is there something crucial I’m missing for that last month? Some means of ripening I don’t know about? Any advice to produce more ripened bud?

I appreciate the advice

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the final product. Alot of different reasons so we will try to narrow it down. Wish I had the support ticket to paste. But can you list everything used last grow. Nutrients, What is your Light source and how powerful? Soil used? How did you harvest your plant? (Ex 48 hr darkness, 2 wk flush, no flush, cut and hang plant or snip all the buds off) do you have any pictures of your plant or the set up being used?

4 Likes

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome to ILGM forum. There’s really no set time for how long for a plant to flower. If you are going strictly by the time set by seed company, don’t. These times are general guidelines. You harvest when the plants are ready. I just finished a grow. I was growing 2 Skywalker OG’s. Both girls were grew under identical circumstances and one took 3 weeks longer than the other. If you are saying that they aren’t getting any trichs and they aren’t getting any smell then obviously something is way wrong. Hard to say what the problem is without knowing the details. I’ll post a support ticket just copy and paste to reply and fill out answers. If you have pictures of plants before harvest please post.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed

Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF

Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths

PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)

PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable

Indoor or Outdoor

Light system

Temps; Day, Night

Humidity; Day, Night

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner

Thanks!

4 Likes

Honestly make sure they have plenty of flower nutes and get you a jewelers loupe from Amazon about 10$ for a 30x /60x combo watch the trics there will be a ball on the tips wait for them to be 20% amber and 80$ cloudy for MY preferred high more cloudy with no clear/amber is top thc content but not the best IMO you have about a 2 week window for prime harvest and that’s 100% cloudy to about 50% amber you do the math and decide what type of high you like couch lock more amber uplifting energy cloudy/clear

4 Likes

Wow. Didn’t know I’d get this reception. Thanx. I’ll be back with requested details.

4 Likes

Your amongst friends here, lots of great people who enjoy growing weed and helping others. Spend some time reading journals and checking out topics. You’ll be able to find just about anything you want to know about growing. :+1:

3 Likes

Welcome, not sure if anyone covered it, but did you cure your bud? That’s really where the smell comes in cuz the Terps grow more there.

3 Likes

I’m new to the game so I’m not sure what’s normal- but I’ve got 4 little plants in a closet and you can smell them as soon as you walk in my house. Do some strains smell less than others maybe?

1 Like

Yes, but in @swerver 's case the plants are losing their smell once they harvest them.

BTW, you can use an inline carbon filter to eliminate the smell from your own grow in case discretion is desirable.

2 Likes

What strain: Purple Kush and Granddaddy Purple. But for the sake of this discussion, oncentrate on Purple Kush just because I have better pictures

Method: Super Soil made from Fox Farm Happy Frog Organic Potting MIx / Natural Living Soil

Vessels: 5 gal cloth pots

PH: 6.2 - 6.8 runoff 5.9 - 6.2

PPM/TDS Don’t know

Nutrients: Happy Farm Trio organic liquids

Indoor 3 x 3 Grow tent

Light system: Marshydro 2000 (light kept at heights recommended by manufacturer)

Temps; High 70s F / Mid 60s F

Humidity; Around 50% 40% last 2 weeks / slightly higher at night

Ventilation system; Yes, exhaust fan plenty big enough to recycle air and fan in tent

AC dependant on the house / purchased cheap humidifier / have seen no need go dehumidifier

Co2; Yes, amazon purchased bag

1st pic. Week before harvest for purple kush on right.
All other pics purple kush harvest day.

I admit I probably pulled it to early

3 Likes

Did not do 48 hours darkness
Did do 2wk flush
Hung entire plant

More info in this thread

1 Like

Yes, cured now for a month (needs more) and helped tremendously. Now it’s pleasant smelling enough. Tastes okay. But I had 8 Oz on a baking sheet last night and you wouldn’t have smelled it in the house.

1 Like

Based on the photos, I don’t think your harvest was early, at least for my preference.

What are your drying conditions?

2 Likes

I agree with @KeystoneCops the photos good. Trichs looks good. You’ve got some clear but definitely ripe enough for harvest. Most of your pistils are rust colored. I gotta ask again, are you saying these plants after harvesting has no potency. The GDP I had you literally could smell outside of the house right before harvest. During and after the cure they were dank, you could smell them as soon as you opened jars. So I’m at a loss if they don’t pack a punch.

2 Likes

Where are you hanging them?

Is the space dark?

What’s the airflow situation?

What’s the temperature?

What’s the relative humidity?

2 Likes

Yea, if it was dried wrong maybe? I’m at a loss too. If not dried in the dark… then idk what else.

Yeah we are narrowing in. Nothing in the grow seemed a miss. Its either in the dry/cure or right before. Ive had a plant become pollinated before harvest and I swore it lost its stickiness and smell. Did you do a bud wash? Sorry if thats a repeat question thats been answered. Thats the 2nd time I’ve lost smell and stickiness was bc I washed them too rough and knocked everything off

I’m guessing in the dry. But how have you been curing?