Help me understand the process of making a tincture

I have been reading a great deal about tinctures and plan to make this form of cannabis for my husband. He has never used any form of marijuana before and doesn’t really like smoking it.
Here is my question. I have read about the importance of decarboxylation. Is this still needed when making a tincture with heat? If I mix the plant with Everclear and heat it to 165 degrees do I still need to do the decarboxylation?
Thanks in advance for the assistance. Our first harvest should be ready in about 4 weeks, I want to be prepared!

From a @blackthumbbetty post:

1. Freeze a 750 ml bottle of everclear.

2. Roughly chop (don’t grind) an oz of bud, and decarb in a Mason jar.
  3. Once jar is completely cool, add enough frozen ever clear to just cover buds & tighten lid
  4. Shake the motherfecking shite out of it for about 3 minutes.
  5. Place it in the coldest part of your freezer for an hour.
  6. Remove from freezer, shake vigorously & strain; rinse remaining material with another shot or 2 of ever clear.
  7. To evaporate alcohol: place liquid in shallow glass pie pan & leave in a warm, dark place for several days. You can use a warming plate to gently heat it, but too much heat makes disgusting tasting tincture.
  8. When it’s the consistency of sugar water/watery honey, it’s ready for most uses. It should be a golden color, not green & not black.
1 Like

Here are a couple decarb charts:

It’s necessary if you’re looking for THC and CBD.

2 Likes

Thank you all,…this chart is just what I needed!

2 Likes