HELP Me Before I Kill Her! Please

Not sure what to do.

My first grow has always been so healthy. Suddenly she took a bad turn and I don’t know why or what to do. I’m early/midway (I think) in flower with maybe 3 or 4 weeks to go.

My PH in is 59/60. Just tested PH runoff at 57 (first time testing runoff).

PPM in is 1010. PPM runoff shows 3016 (first time eating PPM in or out). The numbers just don’t seem correct???

I admit, I may have been a little to lazy with my nutes. I also added molasses to my mix and also some bloom fertilizer. Possible I made a couple of lethal batches?

I flushed 2 days with just plain water and now back to my Jacks 321+silica+Epsom salts (based on amounts provided on this sight.

Question - Do you think the flush and restart of Jacks will revive my girl?

Any comments would be welcome.

• Seed: Do-si-dos, Photo, from ILGM
  • Vessel: Coco + Perlite, 10 gal fabric pot
  • Nutrition: Jacks 321 + Silica + epsom salts
  • PH of Water: ~ 59/60
  • PPM: Just starting to learn this topic
  • Environment: Outdoor
  • Temps: Upper 70s - 80s (October).

1 Like

Are you ph’ing your nutrients before feeding? And are you mixing in this order?: Silica, Part A, Epsom, Part B?

1 Like

@Borderryan22
Thanks for responding

Yes, I test my ph in. I try to get 59/60.

I mix my epsom salt, silica and part A in a small container of water. I stir briskly. The next day I mix in part B.

Again, my laziness may have gotten me. For a while I immediately added part B after stirring briskly (no waiting period).

As mentioned above, haven’t been testing ppm. Just got a meter and I must be doing something wrong based on what my output number (mentioned above)

It looks like a calcium or potassium. On the verge of lockout by the curling. Your ppms are really high going out. In, they’re good. Ppm’s going in with jacks settles around 1,000-1,000, depending on water source and such. Going out, in coco, they should be relatively the same. Are you watering to full runoff?

2 Likes

@Borderryan22
Until now, I have not collected runoff. My fabric bag was sitting on gravel. I water heavy but have only assumed I was watering to proper runoff.

10am gallon fabric bag and i water 3/4 of gallon each time (guessing the amount).

I now have a tub under my plant so I can see and test runoff.

This is my first grow. I’ve learned a lot. Now I’m trying to learn from an apparent mistake.

Just hoping she recovers?

1 Like

I suspect this may have something to do with it. That feels woefully insufficient- I go through 1/2 gal for a 2gal pot regularly.

10 gallons should take 2+ gallons of water to rehydrate properly, probably 3 gallons to get a reasonable amount of runoff. I’m guessing a bit because I’ve never used a pot that large, but based off my 5 and 7 gallon grows, that feels like the right ballpark.

If you flush (give her 10 gallons of plain water, possibly more but I’d start there), then water with full strength Jack’s, then wait for her to dry up and go back to the basics, she should finish out just fine

The damaged stuff won’t recover. You’ll wanna cut it off probably.

6 Likes

Boooom, @Graysin for the reception! It’s important with coco to water/feed pretty liberally. In 10 gallon bacgs, I would imagine it takes over 3 gallons to get the runoff needed. When i grew in coco, in 3 gallon bags, it took 3/4 gallon of jacks to get me a heavy pint of runoff. Coco doesn’t retain moisture the same as soil, so it’s important to soak it well, and fairly often.

5 Likes

@Borderryan22
@Graysin
Thanks for the feedback.

Wow, sounds like i have significantly under watered. I actually felt like I was over watering??

Ok, I have already flushed for 2 days but not with as much water as mentioned. I’ll do it again and restart jacks.

Next grow will be in 5 gallon autopots…with a careful eye on my nutritional measurements

1 Like

I just went back and saw i made an error 1,000-1,100 is a good range for ppm’s of mixed jacks going in, pH’ed between 5.8-6.0. Runoff should not be too much different.

@Borderryan22
Just checked my runoff. It is like 4k? I have two ppm meters (both the same brand, model.

How can the ppm be so high and how do I lower it?

Please just stop feeding the plant. I worked at a hydroponic store for two years and what people don’t realize is nutrients are bullshit. Wait for the plant to tell you that it needs nutrients we’re working with a very hearty plants that evolved to not need a lot of nutrients, stop feeding her. Please stop feeding that plant until it wants or show signs of nutrient deficiency.

Underwatering, or not running until 15-20% runoff, can cause nutriens to buildup in the coco. When a sufficient amount of water or nutrient solution is given, some of this buildup will come out with the runoff. When you water til runoff in coco, without overdrying, you are maintaining that level of PPM.

PPM is Parts Per Million of your water or solution
TDS is Total Dissolved Solvents which is measured in PPM.

1 Like

@Borderryan22
@Graysin

I just watered with plain water ph’d to 5.9. Rain 15 gallons through.

Will start fertilizer water tomorrow and water for more runoff and test

Thanks for your input

1 Like

Try adjusting your ph to 5.6 -5.8 60 could be a little high

1 Like

Flush her, then check the run off PPM again. Lockout

1 Like