HELP! Live on Cape Cod - NO POWER!

@Momtomask delighted that hear that you have power back on you have alot off change going to be happening now happy growing mate :v:

1 Like

If this happens again and your plants are in veg , the only thing you have to do is get the brightest flashlight available to you and go in every 4 to 6 hours and use the flashlight on your girls for at least 45 min to an hour and they will stay in veg indefinitely… :wink:
What you have to understand is that it’s the fact that 12 or more straight hours of darkness will trigger flowering , so if you can get in there every 6 hours for an hour and hit them with a flashlight and break up the straight dark period you will be fine… :wink:
It’s called candle sticking and we use it alot out doors to keep plants in veg when it’s warm enough but still to early to put plants outside because of short days… :wink:
:v: :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Thank you everyone for your help. The generator has been doing its job for many hours now and the temps in the tent have climbed into the high 60s for one and low 70s for the other. As the generator is only running the lights in the tents and not my entire house the ambient temp in the room is 61. Because the Veg tent was warming faster than the flower tent I managed to get a small fan running in it and vented that warm air into the flower tent. That maneuver seems to be helping quite a bit. Given that the unexpected power outage has probably induced flowering in the GLs (the WWAutos had already started preflowering this week), I’m going to run with that new 12/12 cycle. All the girls are 7 weeks old today so they are ready. When I kill the lights later tonight I’m going to plug in my portable heater in my room so the girls don’t suffer from those low 50s temps again! What a day! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

11 Likes

As long as they don’t freeze, weed can take some very cold weather with no damage. They just won’t grow or mature as fast, but being cold does not really hurt it. Some very fine weed comes from Nepal!

2 Likes

Hello, I also had no power for over 24 hours, I used candle light like was suggested! Finally got power back this morning!!! So do I continue on my 18-6 sun cycle or should I give it more sunlight to Insure it still in veg?
Thanks in advance!!

2 Likes

Just continue with your 18-6. Anything over 12 hours of light will keep her from flowering.
@TakSiX-420

4 Likes

@Momtomask I see the news and y’all are getting hammered with that nor’easter. Hope your plants and you make it thru well…I’m sure you will. Tag me if you remember so I can watch and compare your grow since you are ahead of me by about 15 days! Hang in there
@merlin44

2 Likes

@Momtomask, it goes without saying that the most important thing is to keep yourself and your family safe.:+1: We feel very fortunate where we live, no natural disasters for many decades.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Still no power here in my area but we are muddling through. The family is well though a bit chilly (56.8 in the house). My plants have made it through so far - as mentioned above I have accepted the flowering light cycle and they had lights out last night with a small heater running which kept the temps in the 60s. Lights have been running now since 9:00am thanks to the generator. We pray to the power gods for a better solution before the stress impacts the household.
Best, Jeb

@peachfuzz @merlin44 @raustin @ReMoLu @GreenThunder @dbrn32 @MattyBear @garrigan62 @Myfriendis410 @Countryboyjvd1971 and anyone else following.

12 Likes

@1BigFella @Johnzy81 @Rugar89

2 Likes

Hope they get your power back on soon! Try and stay warm!

@Momtomask

Cape Cope, Well do you know where Norwell, Mass is ?
I grew up there and my one of two sisters lives in Hanover and the other one lives in Hanson. The one in Hanson srtill has no power. Was on the phone with them last night.
I used to get up on Rt. 3 and hitch hike to the Cape all the time , Those were the good old days.
My parents had a vegg farm on High St, Norwell, 3 green houses two tractors and a lot of wells to water from…not to mention a whole lot of weeding going on…lol
I just thought I’d say Welcome to ILGM from a good old farm boy from Mass. or should I say from Bean Town

Will

5 Likes

Good to hear you’re still hanging in there. Hopefully you’ll be under power soon!

1 Like

Instead of the 60’s I would set the heater for the 40’s, and reserve more generator power to turn the lights on. Your lights can actually heat the grow room when they are on, if you have good insulation. We haven’t turned the furnace on once this winter because I’m using the grow exhaust to warm the house, and I’m running the lights from 7 PM to 7 AM.

Sorry :neutral_face: i had limited cell and no internet service
Woohoo on generator
I have one as well 8000watt they are a life saver
I was down for three days but with gen the girls only got a few extra hours of sleep Friday night
Imo the cost of a quality generator is well worth it and pays for itself the first time you use it
Especially if your a home owner its a must have imo well done @Momtomask

Still no power in my section of the Cape - that’s 72 hours now. :frowning:️ Household temp is 55.3.
The plants are hanging in there with both tents on 12/12 light schedule with the heater going at night. I had to water them tonight but the water in my room was so cold I had to heat a big pot of water on the gas grill and then put my gallon jug in there to warm it up. Made think of moms who are having to do this for actual babies rather than MJ plants so I’ll stop complaining. Thanks, Jeb

4 Likes

Wow, I can’t believe you’re still without power. Reminds me of the Sandy storm, here in NYC we were in the dark for four days. Try and stay sunny. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What do you have for heat ? A boiler
You can run it off the generator they dint draw a while lot ?

Company I work for has divisions working with east coast utilities, just heard this morning that we sent some help out your way over the weekend. Also sounds like my local utility company sent a bunch of lineman out that way as well. Hopefully the extra help will get you up and running soon!

2 Likes