Help, little ones so healthy, now looking ill

Not sure what this indicates. Roots are just now exiting bottom of net pots. Have only given a fraction of nutrient mix 3 days ago. Recently started using ph down to regulate high ph (daily struggle). This is now what they are developing. They beauties are only 2 weeks old, and VERY strong all along. There was a 100% germination and survival so far. Please, why are the discolorations developing as well as the leaf curling?

Ph wants to return to around 8 every day from the 5.8 I induce (now with the ph down, previously with vinegar). ambient temp is always around low 70’s. Humidity is around mid 40’s to 50’s. I recently removed humidifier.

Water level is around the bottom of the net pots

[Uploading:

Way way to small for any nutrients change water ph an leave it for a few weeks just ph nothing else buddy

Thanks, so you are telling me that the only issue would be that I added a tiny amount of nutrients when they should get zero until third banches. Should I be hesitant about continuing to add ph down DAILY? I’ve heard that this could build up salts in the res. and require more frequent refreshing entire res.

…again I really appreciate all advice. FYI no soil, rock-wool inside the hydroton. Bubbling water underneath

How much water is in your system? How far below the net pots is water level? Have you been top watering? That seems a pretty dramatic change in water PH unless it’s very small amount. And i’d have to look but it was right around two weeks that I started feeding. Some people start with nutes in the water from day one. I think i started mine at about week 2. Very low dose like 1/4 seedling amount. We can’t tell if your plants are discolored unless you post pics in white light.

There is about 12 gallons. The water level is just below the net pots. Ive recently lowered (was about 3/4 inch upon net pots) as the roots are now dangling in most. I’ve shifted all the more advanced ones to one res. so as to be able to customize better for the time being. Ph is steady problem. Using excellent, but hard, mountain-spring well-water. I’m feeling like I should add nutes anytime more than the 1/4 I added 6 days ago when I refreshed water supply. Here’s different view. The discoloration doesn’t show as much in reg. light Also, the veins and stems are quite red. However, they have been since beginning; just that leaves are now showing the color a lot. Is a chocolate-type strain and I think (hope) a genetic trait.

Yeah there’s two that look like they need a little nitrogen. So might be time to raise the PPMs a little.

Okay, not that I was seeking confirmation bias, but this SEEMS right. Everyone insists not to add nutes for a long time yet. However, these ladies are very vigorous and perhaps need. So, maybe a 1/3 dose of the three parts?

This is MUCH appreciated!

Well people in dirt can get a little further I think because soil grows a little slower. And might get some food from the dirt. But those are just guesses. All the hydro guys agreed that’s what mine needed at the time. And yours are a few days older I think it was 11 or 12 days. I’d have to go back and look at my journal.

Yes, brother, thank you for bringing common sense to this with me.

Update: This morning the color has started darkening again and the leaves show a seeming renewed vitality. Great growth over night during 5 hours of dark. Hopefully this was the correct path. It does indeed seem that when only in water, if the plants grow with such vigor, they WILL need nutes sooner than the fourth set of leaves. Thanks all!

1 Like

That he is… never feed seedlings they have there own source of food up till they have 5 or 6 true sets of leaves

1 Like

Ok sir, any advice from this point forward is greatly appreciated for my only desire is to know the truth and care for the little ones as they should be. How should I proceed?

No nutes just keep ph stable :hugs:

This may be an obvious question but is it bad for the seedling to be fed? And why

Yes it is, the seedling have their own supply of food till they have 5 or 6 true sets of leaves

So feeding them will do what? Slow their growth?

No it will kill them.

And if it doesn’t kill them it’ll make them stronger?

1 Like

No if you feed a seedling you can or will kill it period…