HELP leaves very light green, spotted, hooked like claw

Does anyone know what this problem with my plant might be? It started out with the leaves looking very dark in color, then the tips burnt, then the outer parts of the leaves turned very light green and now really the whole leaf throughout most of the plant are light in color with some having red veins and spots, also some leaves looking like an up side down canoe. Here’s some pics.

The leaves throughout most of the plant look hooked like a claw and light green like this with a good amount having spots on them

If they went dark green first, then it’s most likely too much nitrogen, which then continued to lock out the other needed nutes. Picture 4 looks like mites but most of the others look like deficiencies which are caused by lockout and/or PH imbalances.

I’d flush with PH’ed water, but would rather wait until 1 of the pros answer this. I would also like to know from someone more experienced what is the cause of picture-2.

1 Like

The little dot marks in Picture #4 actually look just like the ones in picture # 1 it’s just the grow light messing with the camera that makes it look a little different in that picture. I’ve been checking the underside of the leaves regularly to rule out pests. I’m pretty sure it has to do with a nutrient lockout from using rusty water/ph imbalance in the soil/root zone. Also I think I somehow got nitrogen toxicity but I’m not sure. I know it’s common in slow nutrient release soils like m-grow which is what I am using but I’m not sure. I’m no expert I have just been doing research. I wish I would’ve done some research before I listened to someone who told me to use a slow nute release soil.

Yes, it is probably a pH and EC/TDS/PPM issue.

Fill out a support ticket and with more info we can probably say more.

~MacG

ILGM Support Ticket:
What is the strain and type(unknown bag seed, strain name, regular seeds, feminized seeds, auto-flower, etc)?
clone off of a friends plant. Unknown strain. Not sure if plant came from a feminized seed but plant is female.

Indoor or Outdoor? If outdoor, planted in ground or in a container?
indoor/5 gallon bucket

Size of space (max height and area, length/width)?
5’Lx3’Wx7’5"H

Soil or Hydro? Type of Medium used? System type?
Soil/m-gro slow release

pH? Of the soil or medium (root zone/reservoir/run-off) and of the water and/or nutrient mix that is fed to the plant?
water ph is 6 give or take a couple points. Waiting for soil to dry to test the runoff

Type and strength of nutrients used? NPK?
Humboldt countys own advanced for about the last week because I think the soil ran out of slow release nutes

EC/TDS/PPM levels? Of what you feed it as well as what is in the water by itself and in the soil/medium (run-off), or reservoir.
I don’t have a way of testing for this but I am using hard water that is pretty rusty. Started using store bought drinking water at the same time I started using the nutes
Temperature? Day vs. night temp or highest and lowest temps?
80-85day/70-75 night

Root zone temps?
Not sure

Humidity %? Day vs. night
Stays around %35
Light system/watts/lumens/FLUX/PAR?
400w metal and 400w HPS
Ventilation system? Size? CFM? CO2? AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier?
Just two fans blowing fresh air into the closet

Number “weeks/days” from into Season, Vegetative Growth or Bloom/flowering?
About a week into bloom

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but try to be brief and to the point. Short and to the point questions and/or facts will help us help you :smile:
I’m thinking it has nitrogen toxicity from a mix of the use of rusty water causing some kind of lockout, wrong root zone ph, slow release nutes running out but I’m not sure it started with foliage getting pretty dark in color, then burnt tips, then small dots on lower leaves, then leaves getting very light around edges and between veins throughout whole plant along with dotted leaves in certain spots throughout whole plant and clawed leaves throughout whole plant, some leaves now getting larger brown spots.

Try giving it distilled water only. You might need to flush it with lots of distilled water, to get out the rust, extra iron or calcium from the hard water and alleviate the lockout.

And get the tools to test, they really are not expensive. That would help with knowing exactly what to do or what to add to correct the problem.

Here is a really affordable TDS meter on amazon:

Here is a really affordable pH meter with a lot of high ratings by customers.

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Accuracy-Pocket-Handheld-Tester/dp/B00FJFEB2O/?tag=greenrel-20

Here are the drops:

http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-Test-Kit-1-Ounce/dp/B000BT32UA/?tag=greenrel-20

And strips:

You can try e-bay as well. But simple paper test strips like these can often be found many places easily like at drug stores or hardware stores. Also many swimming pool pH test kits can be used.

Hope these help.

~MacG