Help.. Leaves dying

New leafs come up nicely, but get brown spots and die off… using moondust, but just ordered General Hydroponics Flora series… Ideas??

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA… seed
White willow
Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco? Hydro

System type? Cash crop grow box

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? trying to keep at 5.8 (keeps going down, adjusting)

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS using moon dust, using 1/4 to 1/2 what’s recommended.

Indoor or Outdoor indoor

Light system, size? 3 825 lumens,6500k cfl

Temps; Day, Night 70-85

Humidity; Day, Night 50%

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size yes

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,no

Co2; Yes (pad)

Leafs coming up nice, once they get a little bigger, start to brown. Have 3 plants in box

You might need cal-mag ? And you might want to look into advance nutrients ph perfect system to start a hydro grow to get experience , The hobbist nutrient system or Sensi grow A&B and Sensi bloom A&B or the connisuer A&B two part ph perfect system . Go to YouTube and look at advance nutrient test video , they even have a grandmaster , and Dutch nutrients is good for hydro as well .

I’ve keep my PH in check… you think it’s a lack of cal/mag ? plant is 3 1/2 weeks

Yeah it could be , look up sick plants and defiencies and try to compare your plant to photos . Download Roberts grow bible as well . But yes it’s your soil is hot like FFOF calcium and magnesium could be locking out due to undeveloped root system . But it’s fixable , you can even used Epsom salt dissolve in ph water to fix but it won’t correct it like cal-mag would . But maybe Macgyver stoner or latewood would respond to help , I’m no expert , but I had this same problem and cal-mag or magic cal fixed mines in a week .

I don’t know anything about moondust, but using at 1/4 its recommended strength might be a significant contributor to the nutrient deficiency like looks to your leaves. Half strength/quarter strength is sometime recommended in certain applications/special situations, but in general and especially with certain nutrient mixes it could be starving your plant by not having high enough of a certain one or a certain few to keep all functions in the plant happy.

Adding a cal/mag supplement might very well solve the problem, but adjusting to the recommended strength might fix it as well and maybe even be better, as the plants look very yellow, so it would seem they are not getting enough nitrogen as well, all possibly from running too low of nutrient concentration.

Do yourself a favor, I know there are a lot of nutrient systems out there that claim to not need a pH or concentration of nutrients reading, but knowing those things will really help at least confirm or rule out those being part of the problem. And the expense really isn’t that bad, you can find a decent digital pen of either pH or EC/TDS/PPM for about $20 or under on e-bay or amazon. Try to get both of them with automatic temperature control and a pH reading to 0.01 and for the EC/TDS pen, if it reads in PPM, make sure it reads well above 999 PPM.

Also make sure the CO2 isn’t being sucked into your air pump and then of course being pumped into your water, that could contribute to a acid problem, the leaves might like extra CO2, but the roots like extra oxygen.

I thought about the CO2 thing and changed my air pump to being outside about 2 weeks ago, didn’t help. Just got General Hydroponics Flora Series QT. and started it today, going to see how that fairs out. Do have the PH tester and I’ve been on top of that. It seems so far that PH is more stable with the new nuts. We’ll see how that goes. It’s only been 10 hours but plants look little better already… fingers crossed

We are all with you and wish you. the best…hang in there.

Will

Your pH instability was probably mostly from running your nutrients at such a low concentration with the moon stuff. A EC or TDS tester would also be a very good idea to have.

General Hydroponics has been around a long time and is generally considered good stuff, it will probably give you better results in many ways.

3 days on new nutrients (General Hydroponics Flora series) and growing much better and darker green color coming in. I still have hope. Anyone thinking of using ‘Moondust’ seriously think twice about it!

Looking really good thanks for sharing .

Yes, continuing to look much better.