HELP-Late in bloom stage, I can't get the pH down below 6.9 sometime as high as 7.4

Most of this grow was problem free except for pH. I was able to keep it about 6.1 and was happy with that. But now it’s out of control. I mix 5 gals of tap water (pH starts at 7.8) and add food grade citric acid till I get to pH of 4. I measure the water coming out at the bottom drain holes and its about 6.8.
I have done this flush many times only adding Clearx. I even purchased a 2nd pH meter in case the first is screwed up - but they both save about the same pH readings.
I don’t know whats going on!

1 Like

How late into flower are you? If you are a couple weeks from finishing I’m not sure a full flush would even do you any good, you might just have to deal with what youve got. In saying that, ph’ing your water down to 4 is crazy low! Im not sure about using citric acid as I’ve never done it, I’ve used baking soda to raise ph and potassium carbonate in powder form, but now I just use ph up and down, much easier and you know what your getting with it. If you are growing in soil, then you should always ph your water going in between 6.3-6.8, no higher and no lower, especially not down to 4. To do a proper flush, use 3x the size of your pot. e.g. if you have a 5gal pot, flush with 15 gal water ph’ed to 6.5.
The most important question here is, how are your plants looking? If they are looking okay and your almost done, just keep watering with 6.5ph solution and soldier on.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome that sounds a bit like Alchemy to me or I’m not quite following I use General Hydroponics pH Up and Down is very stable and consistent have you considered that I also have used it in large five gallon buckets and it works fine in those as well …good luck with your issue!

3 Likes

There is no mention of medium being used here? very hard to help without a few more details soil coco? Promix fox farms?

5 Likes

@Donaldj

i was just going to ask that very same question, thanks Donald

Will

2 Likes

I’m growing in soil although it’s probably just a root ball now.
The leaves are drooping. I’m about a week out from harvesting.
The citric acid was working very well until about 10 days ago.
I was using such a low pH in the plain water thinking that it would bring the pH down like it had previously.

Do you think that the microbes around the roots could be on a sugar high and can no longer break down the nutes for the roots to absorb?
Should I just go buy regular pool :swimming_man: pH Down? I didn’t know if that was safe to use on plants?

dont do anything. If your only a week or so from harvest then kick back and relax.

5 Likes

Agree with @bob31 at this point the corrections wont have enough time to benefit the plant . I would just try to water one or 2 more times and leave it till harvest . Luck to you

1 Like

LMAO You two guys guna put me out of a job… was just going to type the very same thing. It seems you guy’s get there just before i do so i came up with this count backwards 10 1000 9 1000 to 0 1000 and that should i’m pretty sure it will give me time to get in there first…lmfao

what do ya think

Will

6 Likes

Lol well I’m glad to finally get an answer right! Geez it’s sick when someone asks a question and you realize hey I know the answer to that one! Lol

You are training us all well!

2 Likes

and when you do know you just go and answer it i was just given you two a hard time in a good way. but i’m sure you knew that.
you guys are great and when i do see how your doing posting it make me feel good tthat what i say is working.
and or i see a post that one of you postef and i read it and to me i could have posted that make me feel good that peope are learning from what i have told them. there is no better feeling…well there is…lmao but you know what i mean.

Will

3 Likes

I/we do certainly. It’s a game we play, called beat the mods!

Later Will!

Bob

1 Like

So do you all think this is a safe pH down? Sodium bisulfate

Thanks,
Eric Francis

I really don’t know the product but I don’t see why it wouldn’t

Will

Yes you can…but not recommended.

The main difference that you should take note of is that pH down made purposely for hydroponics not only brings that pH down, but contains the acid’s conjugate base in equal proportions which allows the pH down to have a buffering effect. Buffering effect means that when the pH reaches a certain number, the acid and base in the solution constantly react together to keep the pH steady, which is what plants need to be healthy.

Using sodium bisulfate has no buffering capabilities, so when it drops the pH, no further reactions will take place and the pH will not remain steady…

Hoping that’s useful information @macisgr8

~Al :v: :innocent:

3 Likes

[quote=“macisgr8, post:16, topic:9143, full:true”]
So what brand should I buy for future grows?
You all are so helpful, I really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Eric

https://www.amazon.com/Indefectible-Hydroponics-Adjustment-Alkaline-Indicator/dp/B017XTFKE6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487129335&sr=8-3&keywords=gh+ph+up/?tag=greenrel-20

And Eric, do not give your full name, it’s a public forum and it’s not recommand to do so :wink::v::innocent: @macisgr8

~Al :v: :innocent:

4 Likes

I do not understand why you lower your PH to 4.1

If your original water is 7.8; You should just lower the PH to 6.5-6.7/8 and use that for watering your plants. Are the plants twisting when you water them?

1 Like

I agree 100% This is what you should be using to adjust your PH. Most of the time, you do not need PH Up but, it does not hurt to have it on hand. Just try not to be heavy handed with the acid, keeping your PH on the slightly less acidic side of OPtimum 6.5

3 Likes

I actually just got some of this exact stuff from amazon today. my water was at 8.1 I used 1.5ml to get a gallon down to 6.7. Seemed to work great to me

2 Likes

I use rain water thats around pH7 when it comes out of the barrel. I lower it with plain old concentrated lemon juice to around 5, and that gets it to around 5.5, where it should be for coco coir. Stopped using pool stuff because of the chemicals.

2 Likes