Help! Is this mold?

Hi guys. I think the hardest part of my first outdoor grow has been trying to figure out what it mold/bud rot.

I have l researched it so much I feel everything is bud/rot mold now. So I got one of the microscopes thinking that would help… till I realized I’m not a scientist. Lol!

I was wondering if any of you knew if these “hairs” on the leaf and stems are mold?

The “hairs” are pistils. They are white when young. It is normal for them to brown and recede into the flower as the plant matures.

If you mean these hairs, then those are normal. Just part of the leaf and stem structure.
Nothing to worry about.


Those are hairs on the hairs, and it’s actually normal. Like fractal imagery!

1 Like

Dump the microscope you will not need it until harvest if you have an issue such as mold it will show up first as dying leaves. Inspect your plant daily as a matter of course. If and when you have a problem it can normally be corrected simply and quickly, as per my experience any way.


Not entirely true, I’ve seen bud rot emerge from the center of the bud, usually as a result of pest damage that caused internal infection.

Best method regardless is to cut out anything questionable and wash the remainder in water/peroxide mixture.

1 Like

@Graysin New grower here. I’ve heard a couple people mention peroxide so far but I’m not familiar with HOW to use it. Do I mix it with water or just use a certain % concentration straight up?

Also peroxide is for mold and fungis right? Is it safe to smoke if you end up spraying the buds? Or do you not spray the buds?

Also want to confirm that peroxide is only for mold and fungus… you don’t use it for pests right?

1 Like

When I say peroxide I always mean the $0.50 bottle of cheap sh!t from the pharmacy or Walmart or wherever. Technically it’s 3% hydrogen peroxide from the first aid section.

Mold, fungus, mildew, root rot, and general pathogens/bacteria. I use it to bud wash everything I grow as preventative measures to stop mold from ruining my harvest during the cure.

Yep. It will evaporate off - it’s as harmless as evaporated bleach. Once it’s dry, you can lick it off your hands and be fine. Not saying to get bleach on your hands (or your buds) but I am saying peroxide is totally fine and harmless, especially after ~12+ hours in open air.

You can, if you suspect mold, mildew, or fungus on your buds.

I don’t use it for pests, no. I use spinosad (Captain jacks dead bug) or Neem oil or insecticidal soap for pest control. In terms of safe for flowering, I would use spinosad only.

Depends on what you’re doing. For a preventative bud wash, I mix 1 cup peroxide with 5 gallons of water.
For a bud wash where I know I have mold or powdery mildew somewhere, I use 2 cups peroxide with 5 gallons of water.
For a foliar spray to kill powdery mildew or suspected bud rot, I’ll mix an ounce of peroxide with 5-8 ounces of water in a spray bottle. The concentration of peroxide goes up the more at-risk my plant is, because I want that sh!t dead before it spreads.


Thank you so so much for the information. You are an incredible source of knowledge :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like