Help! Im setting up a 2 room grow (veg/flower) Cash is tight, house is old. Can we talk cheap veg lighting? (possibly LEDs)

Hello peoples, thank you for taking the time to peruse my post. Basically due to Covid, I’ve lost my job, economy is screwed, I’m not hopeful, especially considering this lockdown is never ending. Since my last venture into indoor, lighting has come a long way. If I was going to run 400 or 600 MH (veg) running alongside a 400 or 600 HPS (bloom), not only does it get expensive and thermal it’s very much a red light (thermal imaging/excessive power), but the biggest issue I think I’d face is my house is old and its wired badly, old fuse box, only 3 fuses. For examople, one time 2 powerpoints stopped working, turns out 1 fuse runs only 2 power points, I assume the other 2 is lights and the remaining powerpoints. I’m rambling through lack of sleep but you get the gist, the house makes no sense.
For this reason I think if I could run LEDs for veg room, there is a chance the power wont trip out constantly, I also like the idea of smaller power bills but I have concerns. I want rapid veg growth for the 2.5 months in veg stage. I don’t know if LED’s can provide the rapid growth comparable to MH. I’m also not keen on spending anywhere near $1000 just for veg lights. So please chime in if you know a bit about LED’s and can reassure me of my concerns. I also understand it’s possible to DIY LEDs, if that can reduce cost substantially, then Id be interested in hearing about that.

For your info, the 2 rooms are approx 3mx3mx3m each. I was planning on staying with HPS for the bloom phase. with a room that size, with in and out ventilation what wattage would do the job?

Happy to hear from anyone thats got 2 cents to share. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place. The hlg 65w led lights are amazing for veg and they are about $89. I was vegging several plants with one light in a 4x4 and growth is exceptional. Although diy might be better for your situation. This guy will help, he’s an expert! @dbrn32

1 Like

Thanks for your advice. That is considerably cheaper than I was expecting, I’m in shock. Cann you explain how this affordable option differs from the LED’s that are in the high hundreds. Is it just down to required Wattage for size of room, or does a brand name add a few hunderd. Don’t get me wrong, I’m delighted, just trying to understand without becoming an expert in LED tech.
Considering the price, I could possibly afford something with a little more oomph but only if that oomph translates into rapid veg, compact branches etc. For example the HLG 100w, would that make a positive difference in growth without causing any other negative issues. Also the price you quoted me, that’d be in US $$??

Thanks for your help already, anything extra is like a nice butterscotch sauce. I’ll be sure to share my experiences once the room is completed and the stork has dropped off my babies. I’ve got many hurdles to clear before I’m at grow stage. Due to Covid, the government has had us locked down for nearly 5 months, cannot even go to hardware store, closed to general public. I basically need to buy timber to frame up the rooms, the works. Nothing worthwhile is without a challenge.
Ta

2 Likes

I got the hlg 65 v2 4000k it’s actually 100$ now. But worth every penny. The 100 v2 is 50$ more.

1 Like

You can even flower small plants it says on their website. And people say 4000k flowers just fine. Just for small areas though.

Hey Shaggy, thanks for your input, I was having a liitle look at your recommendation and lights similar to your recommendation. I noticed that some lights as far as kelvins go there is only 1 choice and others may have multiple options. For straight veg, is 4000k ideal?

While I’m mid post why stop there. With my exp. with grow lights in the past, a reflective light shade was great at spreading the coverage. I noticed when I googled hlg 65 v2 4000k, no shade, do you know why not?

Thanks @Shaggy you are right its about 100 bucks. My local hydro store had it for 89.

But if you add in shipping its pretty much $100. Sadly its out of stock now so yeah, heh.

@Iglet here is some specs on the light. Im not 100% sure about the reflector not being on it but these lights are great trust me. My advice would to just add reflective material around your grow space if possible and it will help a ton.

Hopefully this helps some, gotta get back to work now. :v:

You’ve both helped immensely. Thanks again. I’ll leave you to your work. cheers. :wink:

1 Like

Hey get it from the actual horticulture lighting group website and use the discount code dude it ends up being $89.10 and if your in the USA I believe its free shipping! @Iglet happy growing :seedling:

2 Likes

I’m gonna do that and end up ordering another one I think. I just wish they had a 3000k in stock. I believe they make them just none right now. I want to get more lighting for flowering. Right now I’m gonna have to rely on that. Lol.
Good thing I can make it work. Lol.

1 Like

Actually I think only the 100 comes in the 3000k.

1 Like

I think I’ve seen it at 3k before. Now I’m tempted to buy another one. Lol I only use these for veg. I was using the 100s for flower but now i have 3 beast lights. :muscle:

1 Like

Hey…I don’t know why we are recommending you hlg 65s and hlg 100s. You are looking to veg a 9 x 9 ft room…or 3x3 meters if I understand correctly? You will need a bunch of those little lights. Wouldn’t make sense to go that route imho. Honestly, based on your criteria you don’t want HLG at all. They are relatively expensive lights and probably not worth pulling the trigger on for a strictly veg room. I would look at mars hydro, spider farmer, alibaba. Something of that quality if you don’t want to sacrifice veg growth and don’t want to pay a fortune.

2 Likes

Those are good lights.

1 Like

I don’t know about the new mars hydro lights but the old ones just wasted electricity. I kno @dbrn32 will chime in. I didn’t recommend anything for flowering.

2 Likes

I believe the OP had asked about a veg light for 2×2 which the hlg 65 is perfect for. And its not much more expensive then the other brands you mentioned, maybe 10$ more… so you pay a few dollars more for a light that’s WAY better then the competition… I’m guessing you haven’t tried an hlg yet? Because you seems against them due tto the pricing. But everyone I’ve seen on here that used any of those brands you mentioned could get 2-3 oz per plant. But 2-3 lbs with the hlg lights. Or with autos a lot of the people getting 8oz have hlg. They’re amazing because of how efficient they are. And 65w on your lught bill is nothing. Most people dont realize lighting is a major issue when growing. And just because they’re a big names brand doesn’t mean MH or SF are any good…

4 Likes

I have a 135 r spec in my 1 x 3. That’s beside the point. op asked about a 3m x 3m or 9 ft x 9 ft. He would need 9 hlg 100s to veg that space.

2 Likes

Even to veg out a 3mx3mx3m which is roughly 9’x9’x9’ its going to cost around $700-$2000 depending on what quality of led you run. I use Amazon lights in my 3x3 but I make sure they are the Samsung LM301H or LM301B diodes with an hlg or xlg driver.

6 Likes

I was thinking the same thing that is a small light for a 9x9 room. I use diy lights ao i dont have a lot of experience with hlg so in not sure what size to tell him to get. But a 9x9 is an odd size for tighting it will most likley take 4 lights to get good even coverage. @dbrn32 would be the one to ask.

4 Likes