Help identifying issue!

Needing help identifying what has caused this. First picture is what it looked like two days ago, and the other two pictures is what it looks like now. Seems to have gotten substantially worse, but its only on one column of leaves? Blue Dream Auto, 8 weeks old, FFHF medium, watering every 2-3 days. Only two things that pop into my head is that I did give it some of the Bergmans Flowertime Fertilizer for the first time last week, and have noticed a few flying gnat things around.

1 Like

Hey @Fjc0003 , welcome to the forum.
Did you adjust the pH of your water when you fed?
Fungus gnats are common and there are ways to deal with them.
Mosquito Bits from Amazon work well. As does Captn Jacks Dead Bug spray for the ones above ground.

5 Likes

Nope, not intentionally atleast. I use tap water and let it sit for atleast 3 days before using.

1 Like

Ph your water to 6.5 ish. Also, get your numbers from the run off. Good way to get the nutes right.
PaOjtXFCVqp5Q8g0si

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @Fjc0003 and sorry to hear you are having issues. Check the under side of the leaves for tiny critters and look closely for any “webbing”. That could be spider mites, AKA “the Borg”. They can be a serious problem, I know because I have been there myself.

3 Likes

Good practice. 24 hrs is usually good enough. Most tap waters are adjusted to around a pH of 7. But once the chlorine, which is acidic, has gassed away the pH can rise into the 8 or above area.
A pH tester is a must. Nutrients in the soil are blocked by high and low pH and will look like a shortage of plant nutrition. In fact it will look like yours.
Welcome to the world of growing inside.

3 Likes

Looks just like mine, I was using Jacks 321 and had low PH out ( also using FFOF apparently alot of batches had PH balancing issues). My PH out was in low 5s causing cal mag issue and then as I went into flowering harder I had phosphorus issue and swapped to a more phosphorus based bloom nutrient and seems to be better now.
I wish you luck becauae it didn’t take long before my whole plant looked like that.
Also blue dream Auto

1 Like

Most of these issues are caused by a nutrient lockout from pH imbalances. There’s a different pH window from bottle feed plants vs Organically grown plants. Trying to fix problems before adjusting to the correct pH parameters will just compound the issues. Having said that, all the above looks like simple Cal Mag issues that come by often when using LED lighting.

2 Likes

Yea I had to add dolomite lime and ended up switching to organics hoping it would help with the pH issues after I flushed etc v

1 Like

Are you feeding it cal mag? Looks like mine did and increasing the cal mag helped.

1 Like

Dolomite lime is organic. Seems to be the safest way to raise the pH since the highest sealing of the stuff is right at 7ph.

1 Like

It’ll also take time that autos don’t really afford. Lime seems to work best for adjusting your soil before planting when you can mix it in thoroughly and evenly. I did not get significant changes in runoff when I tried top dressing. Ph adjust all water from here on. If you are getting low 5s try watering in above 6.5 around 6.8 to bring it back. Maybe even slightly more but don’t get crazy with it. Check your runoff every time. Should have improvement in 1-2 weeks. Once you get it in the target range ph 6.5. Definitely add cal mag to the regimen. Add on water only days to keep feeding ppm from going to high. Good luck.

The lime I was using was testing ph levels above 9 btw.

This will work, especially if your doing the runoff thing. Runoff and organics isn’t a good idea. And if your doing the bottled nutes thing then don’t even bother with the compost tea. Just two different philosophies of growing here and it can get confusing if your trying to do both at the same time.

Your soils pH measured above 9 using Dolomite Limestone? or Limestone?

Yup. Not trying to say it is the wrong choice so much as relating how garden lime mid grow top dressing didn’t work quickly enough in my opinion when I had the issue my first grow. Ff soil issues. Ph ing seems to be the ticket. Didn’t even get into the ph changing as the soil continues decomposition I pre adjust with lime before planting always since that experience and with proper pHing have not had any issues since.

1 Like

No. A solution of powdered lime in distilled water i mixed up to check before just throwing it on top.

My soil runoffs were around 5.3

Ok, that makes sense, and a 5.3 runoff…ouch. Sounds like a possible root rot thing going on, and yes, same here with the Fox Farm soil, I had to start mixing in Dolomite Limestone (not Limestone) because the soil just goes acidic quick. I found something that really holds the Fox Farm together really good, even better than the Dolomite Limestone. Craft Blend from Build A Soil. Stuff is the BeeZ KneeZ. half a cup a pot is all you need as a top soil dressing, then maybe another half cup at flower and that’s a maybe. I’ve gone through my box of Dolomite Limestone (Down To Earth) and have some mixed in my own blend of organic raw materials but this Craft Blend is the way to go, all balanced out and these guys are serious about all their products. I have this conversation with a lot of growers here, So what’s your style of growing? Organic or bottled nutes? If your truly going Organics then it’s just the dry amendments and water (if everything is packed down right) Which is what I’m doing with my Autos, but I have the cushion of 10 gallon pots, I can get away with little mistakes. Sorry blabbing here again, not sure what your pot sizes are but if your doing bottled nutes then flush away man till you get that pH right. Overwatering can wreck havoc too.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like