Help! I have two identical plants, but one is dying! I've tried everything!

2 Fastbuds LSD-25, 3 weeks old in coco, fed nutrient solution with water every day. They’re fed exactly the same, and were perfectly identical before one started to droop and discolor. I’m at a total loss. Please help!

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Also; what PH and TDS meter are you using? What kind of water? Please give details.

Plants are fine but lets see numbers and I’ll 'splain.

1 Like

Fastbuds LSD-25
Coco w/ perlite
Random 4-5 gallon pots
Indoor 2x4 tent
3200 watt LED panel (true wattage 330W)
Temps range from 70’s at night and up to about 87 during the day
Humidity is a consistent 60% controlled by a humidifier
4inch exhaust fan with carbon filter
Co2 not yet, but I’ve got a bag of exhale on the way!

Regarding the pH - My coco pH stays around 7.7. With my nutrient solution I always try to even it out by pH-ing the solution all the way down to 3-ish. Once watered, the soil pH stays around 6 before going right back up to 7.7 within an hour or two. Not sure what’s up with that, but I only started trying more acidic after the problem began, so most likely not the cause. The soil pH tester is from Lowe’s and I also use normal pH strips.

My feed consists of tap water (really good where I’m from), megacrop, calmag, and hydrogaurd, because my last grow came to an end with some bad root rot.

That’s just about all the information I’ve got!

Thanks so much

That pH is insanely high for coco… and going in at 3 (not recommended AT ALL) and coming out that high again? I highly recommend a dogital pH pen…

I see leaf cuppage (maybe heat light stress) and the droopy leaves maybe underwatering? How often do you water?

@Myfriendis410 i need ya bro. Coco alert :joy:

1 Like

These girls are always wet, I’m certain underwatering isn’t the issue.I also noticed the cupping and moved the light up a bit - it seems better today.

And regarding the pH situation… Yeah it makes absolutely no sense!

What kind of coco you using? And did you rinse it before use?

Spoiler: i know nothing about coco, just rabbiting stuff ive leached. And asking stuff im pretty sure will be asked anyway :joy:

@Drinkslinger not sure… you in coco?

Is this the meter you’re using to measure pH?

Forgot the pic. D’oh!

1 Like

That’s the one! I’ve also been testing runoff water with the pH strips that give the same result.

There’s the first problem.
Test strips and the inexpensive prong probes aren’t accurate enough.

Acceptable meters can be purchased for $20-$50 and are well worth it.

3 Likes

First off: ditch the Lowe’s meter: worthless

https://www.amazon.com/Apera-Instruments-AI209-Waterproof-Accuracy/dp/B01ENFOHN8/?tag=greenrel-20

https://www.amazon.com/DUMSAMKER-Profesional-temperatura-transporte-0-9999ppm/dp/B07H578WWT/?tag=greenrel-20

This is more in line with what is needed to grow in coco.

coco needs to remain ‘damp’ at least: if it dries out it resists water (not good)

Get a decent meter and you can revisit that number. Strips are not accurate enough FYI. If the substrate PH needs adjusting there are ways to do it but not what you are attempting. Good data first :+1:

This is a complete waste of time and money. You have to start out with insane levels of light in a closed system with climate controls to even begin to use CO2. Send it back. Seriously.

Just make sure to aerate before using to dissipate chlorine.

Bottom line is; plants look fine. The leaves you are referring to are kind of beat up due to being at the media layer and likely got wet more than once. They are fine until you don’t like em any more haha. Just pinch them at the main stem or leave for now.

Get that into fabric pots which works well with coco.

Light is not quite sufficient to flower off well: but you will get a yield.

7 Likes

I’m a big fan of the Apera meter for my hydro girls. I found it paid for itself in times I dropped it in solution. Those $15-20 meters on amazon tend to be less water tight. Also found the cheaper meters would tend lose calibration, be hard to recalibrate if instructions available, and even when dialed in would take much longer to get to a stable reading.
No I’m not paid by them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410 Wow good job (new fan) ,this is the reason why I visit this forum everyday. I just went through a similar problem .And everything I thought was wrong you listed. Just one more thing ,when his nutrients got locked out from bad ph levels. His plants was stressed ,which made them more vulnerable to the heat also. Is this a decent hypothesis.

2 Likes

Maybe, but don’t trust the data already posted. Let’s wait for good data.

Ordered the pH pen you suggested. Will arrive on Thursday.

I did my first grow with a “1000W” LED which actually turned out to pull only 70 watts from the wall… Considering this one pulls 330w from the wall (which is just about the same as some of the mars and spiderfarmer lights), so I think my yield will be fine. At least significantly better than my first grow!

Thanks so much for your input! Really helped me out. If anything worsens I’ll come back here!

1 Like

You guys were totally right! My pH tester came and my nutrient solution that the pH strips claimed to be 5, was actually 2! Just made some more grow sauce with MUCH less pH down, and got it right at 6.0. Just flushed them out and watered with the new sauce, hopefully things start picking back up within the next few days!

2 Likes

Hope you ordered a TDS pen too because you need it.

1 Like

Always something eh… congrats on the meter tho