Help! I don’t want to start off on a bad foot

@Impatient Sounds like you’re getting some good advice.

1 Like

@HippieRunner1 this is my set up. Some what similar to yours. I expect big things this year. No more grow bags for me.

2 Likes

I remember your journey from last year. It looks like you have chosen alittle different plan of attack this year? Solid work! This the amount of preparation and planning you have already put in you will be able to reap the rewords with great success. A great garden starts will a well rounded plan and proper execution.

The plants looks nice and healthy. I like how you chose to go directly into the earth. Let those roots go to there maximum potential. How many will you be running this year? Looks like good spacing between each plant. Should allow for great sunlight penetration around each.

Have you thought about trellis or anything?

3 Likes

I am growing 8 this year. I will put up something to help them with the high winds here as well as give aide to the branches for when they start budding up. I am not sure about having something in place that makes the plants grow through something to spread the branches out. My fear is the trouble it will be when I go to harvest to get the branches out. I think I use a cage like @stockdogranch dose on his plants. I am concerned with one of my girls already. I am hoping that with the transplant into new good soil and cal/mag will help her. What do you think?

2 Likes

Well my rain water catcher is complete and now all I need is it to rain lol

4 Likes

That is so cool!

2 Likes

Looks great! I would highly suggest a few large air stones. This way once you get water in it you can turn them on. This would add much needed oxygen to the water and would allow you to keep the water stored longer. (Keep the algae out). I think the air stones would help out a bunch. Not only would it help with those two factors but it would also clean the water even more.

I would also suggest creating some sort of screen for the top. Keep any and all birds, rodents and falling leafs out. You want to keep the water as clean as you can. Maybe when it rains collect the water. On those sunny days toss a black cap over the unit. Try to repel some of those sun rays.

Great work fella grower :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That is some awesome advice there I really appreciate it. I swear I did not think of that and will be getting those things right away. Really thanks so much.

3 Likes

I just got done spraying nematodes to combat grubs. I got them from Natures Good Guys. Its an easy natural way to combat many different types of grubs and other soil born pests like tics and fleas.
They also sell predator bugs like lady bugs, green lace wings and praying mantis. I got those too for my outdoor gardens.
I love that huge rain barrel, very cool :sunglasses: :v::green_heart:

4 Likes

@GreenJewels Great tip! I have used beneficial nematodes in the past for corn earworms and they worked great!

4 Likes

Here are 5 of my 7 girls. I transplanted 3 and sowed 5 germinated seeds directly into the ground only 4 popped.

4 Likes

Here are the other 2 they are struggling for sure. Still holding out hope

2 Likes

Looks great! Make sure to put some sort of wire cage or netting over the small seedling. Birds and rodents will munch it down in half a second.

2 Likes

Oh no. I didn’t think of that. I’ll get something over them today for sure. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

@Impatient They are looking good!

1 Like

Thank god I secured my tallest 3 girls this morning

2 Likes

I think my little seedlings is a total loss. Going to dig trenches to see if I can save them. An inch of rain fell last night and another half inch is going to fall this evening. Half my vegetable garden is under water to so lots of work to do today.

5 Likes

Looks great! The soil looks like some nice fluffy black gold :wink:

1 Like

Good luck, I hate seeing that :pray::pray:

1 Like

Yes but even the black soil is saturated.

1 Like