Help! I don’t want to start off on a bad foot

Thank you :blush: set to watch…

2 Likes

Hi, im also watching :eyes: :relaxed: Full Flower Eclipse Moon… i just dropped 2 new seeds like a few days ago… i wish i woulda seen that thread 1st… i woulda waited lol… to much going on to drop any more :sleepy: :confused: :laughing: :rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

Hey @stockdogranch like my location? The rest of that row will be 73 strawberry plants.

4 Likes

@Impatient Wow–that’s really impressive! That looks like really sandy soil (other then what you put in the holes for the girls). You have sandy soil there? It reminds me of what I had in SoCal. How did you make those rows? The plants look really happy to be in the ground!

1 Like

Thanks but no it’s pretty much all clay here. Just tilled 3 times over and turned the soil into dust lol. It was concrete lol. I used an organic soil I got from a greenhouse near by that has worm castings and kelp meal in the soil. I dig a moat around my girls to help catch rain water. This is my first year planting in the ground. Last year I grew them in fabric 10 gallon pots.

2 Likes

My husband had a bobcat delivered yesterday and a big tiller. So he took off all the grass and I filled it over and over and over again. He made my vegetable garden a little different and just dig up 3 foot rows with 3 feet of undug rows between each rows aka walking paths.

2 Likes

@Impatient Wow–you really did turn it into dust lol! I’m learning how to deal with this clay. All I know is to keep adding as much organic matter (of whatever kind). I’m sure it will get better each year. As I was putting all the plants in the garden this last week, I was amazed at the number of worms I saw in there, so I guess something is ok in there! I like your idea of the walking paths between your rows. I’m anxious to hear how things compare between the pots you used last year and in the ground this year.

1 Like

If you scroll up on my journal you will see pics of my pots and girls from last year. I had to destroy my photo period girls because of a nark that threaten me to report me to the police. But I was able to save my auto period plants and move them to a safer place. The autos didn’t produce much at all and the buds was so tiny and airy. So not doing autos anymore and the ones I had to destroy were so big and just starting to flower. I was so heart broken. Also when I was filling my rows in my garden I seen lots of grubs in the dirt. So I got some stuff to kill the grubs but afraid to use it on my girls. It goes in the soil, then water it and then let it dry before humans and pets can go near the area I used the pesticide on. Which is why I am Leary on using it near my girls.

2 Likes

Hey @Fieldofdreams, @PurpNGold74 what do you think. Do you think it would be ok to use the above pesticides near my girls to kill the grubs?

1 Like

My husband is building me a massive rain water catcher right now. It holds 500 gallons of water.

4 Likes

A quick googling shows its main active ingredient is bifenthrin. Subsequent research shows that its on the low end of the risk scale, but definitely comes thru in the smoke. IE has test confirming residuals after harvest. Now i dont know how itll effect you in the long run, but im not with smoking any pesticides.

So longstory short, id look for something more natural. What pests are you fighting? I wouldnt use it and would prefer something akin to ladybugs, pests that eat pests, bacillus t, something like that.

@Myfriendis410 is my goto for sciency answers but he may not be around just yet. @Lacewing is another good one. Im sure he’ll have a good answer for you

3 Likes

Grubs and ants galore here. Not sure if they will effect my girls or vegetables.

1 Like

@Impatient I’m no expert in this area but it does say on the bag it can be used in gardens. My biggest concerns with pesticides is mostly with foliar types where the plant may retain a residue on the leaves and that isn’t something I enjoy the thought of. I want a smoke as natural as possible with out any health issues down the road from inhaling something that will have an adverse affect to your health. I don’t know that grubs are gonna give your plant any major issues though, I have them in my beds as well and my plants did fantastic. Maybe some other more experienced growers will have a better grasp of this topic?

2 Likes

Yeah I definitely do not want to smoke any kind of pesticides. I want all natural. So I’ll definitely not use them any where near my girls. Probably won’t use them in my vegetable garden either. Just around the barn and camper. Which my entire garden falls towards the barn and camper so no run off will get near my garden.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan. Feel free to dust any outlying antbeds. Just didnt want u putting it near the gurls (or food) without some expert opinion. Definitely not my strong suit (safe pesticides and the like)

1 Like

Thank you so much. The whole reason I am growing anything to smoke or eat is because I don’t trust what they sell to us in the stores. If I grow it myself I know what’s in and in them. Just my preference. You helped me to decide and thank you.

1 Like

@Impatient :+1:t2: I’ve used Grub-x on my lawn because they will definitely give you brown patches where they’re heavily infested but since I ain’t grazing like a cow lol I never really worried about this type of issue. I did deal with leaf hoppers and caterpillars and used Neem on the plants but honestly once the rain washed it off I felt like the hoppers came right back.

2 Likes

I have captain jacks dead bug coming. It will be here tomorrow and I feel that is safe for insects for both girls and vegetables.

3 Likes

@Impatient Sounds like a good plan.

2 Likes

@Impatient Heartbreaking for sure to have to destroy plants!! Glad you were able to save something. I would also be cautious about the bug killer stuff. Curious to see what others have to say. I generally don’t use much in the way of chemicals in my garden, so I don’t know much about them.

1 Like