Help! I don’t want to start off on a bad foot

I am trying my hand at growing for the first time this year and I feel I am already late in starting. I got seeds from my mother in law she calls them sweet bud. I put my seeds into a glass of bottled water yesterday. I started using a wet paper towel then decided to put them in a glass of water. Then I plan on once they sprout to put them in biodegradable pots to let them grow a little then plan on planting them on my private land which is 13 minutes from where I live. And take water to them daily. I plan on keeping some in large pots and rest plant in the ground in different spots. I have been spending a lot of time on this forum and reading a lot of people posts and comments and I am so overwhelmed and worried I am going to fail at this and I desperately need to be successful because I need good bud to help with my medical conditions. I am tired of getting it from dealers, I hear horror stories of people adding stuff like fentenol or however you spell it. I just want to grow my own and know what I am smoking and cut out the middle man. I have 3.2 acres of land in south east Ohio and. I have no clue why I am just now thinking of growing my own. I’ll post pics below of what I am doing and my next step process. Please please help me so I don’t kill my seeds or plants once they sprout. I have like a million questions lol

Stop while you are ahead and get a different soil. That MG (miracle grow) will more than likely fry your seedlings, making it harder for you in the long run… if you don’t have any starter soil dig some up from outside… sift through it get rid of worms and rocks, then bake the soil. Yes bake it. 350 for 20 mins. This will sterilize it and whatever else is there so you can start inside. Start off in small pots, very small. If you’re planting in ground, now is the time for looking at nutrients. If you’re in pots, look for fox farm happy frog. Good starting/jumping off point.
If you are comfortable mixing your own, dig up some more soil, buy some perlite and mushroom compost. This will get you by for a hike. See that 6 month feeding thing? Stay away. Completely uncontrollable and unreliable.

7 Likes

These are useful. Also look into pest control a lot of critters and bugs love the plants. Preventative action is best and look into the benefits of using milk for pest control. If you have deer look into cages or cattle panels you can bend around your garden.

I’m no expert but tag me any time. I’m sure others will step in.

4 Likes

Miracle Grow and cannabis don’t get along too well. It nukes your plant with nutes every time you water and submarines your pH at the same time.

3 Likes

If your growing outdoors you will want to check with like a farmers almanac to see if now isn’t to early or late to plant outside. If inside, for sure no MiracleKill. It isn’t as simple as just putting a seed in the ground, regardless of what Joe Biden says. You will want to read like a librarian on steroids,

This book and Bergmanns Downloadable grow Bible are great sources as well as the forums here to help you understand, what you need, why you need it, and how to use it. Check out Bill Ward on YouTube. He grows alot of ILGM seeds both photo/auto and in/outdoors, and is quite knowledgeable. Welcom, good luck, and happy growing

3 Likes

Hey all don’t be hating too much on the miracle grow. I use it all the time.

Totally understand the downside of no control over feeding but i find if u get your watering schedule and volume of water to a happy level the plants do just fine (if your growing for simple personal use/quality) I don’t recommend using miracle grow if high quality buds is your goal. But as a start to get a few buds in the jar while learning how the plants grow it’s not too bad. That’s just me tho. I personally think I have found the happy place for my MG levels. I just don’t stress over numbers and accept the fact that I get what I get. Once I get more experienced I will be definitely moving away from MG. The girls in the orange buckets are still sleeping so they are droopy.

4 Likes

Thank you so much. I just placed an order on Amazon and I hope what I got gets me started on a good path to being successful on a nice harvest this fall.

2 Likes

Awesome. Good choices.

I’d try looking at local stores for the happy frog in the further. I think I generally pay between 18-22 for the big bags.

3 Likes

I plan on it because I need to fill 10 of those 10 gallon cloth pots with it. My seeds are coming right along I think the bag of happy frog buys me some time till I can get enough to fill the pots for the final home for my seedlings.

4 Likes

Did you say your planning to bring the water with you too a different location?

This could be a way bigger undertaking than it sounds if that is the case. 10 plants outside will consume a huge amount of water. And daily

2 Likes

Yes! I have to for the time being. I have huge water barrels at my land and they are hooked to the gutters of my barn. Plus I will haul some from my house. The electric to my barn will be installed next month and a few months later my water tap will be installed and ran to my barn. Basically water won’t be there till around harvest time. I also have a rain gauge at my property. I will check it before I water my girls so I don’t over water. I have 13 seeds and I just tossed 2 of them. So I have 11 left and I have no clue on the sex of these seeds so I am hoping to have at least 6 or 7 of my seeds to be females. I am putting my seeds in small pots today in and incubator type thing and watch them sprout. My first time so I am excited. I have never seen marijuana grow before lol

1 Like

You should be excited! Just be careful… it’s an awful lot of fun and addictive to grow. Good luck

2 Likes

If you’ve got rain barrels that’s about as good of water as you can ask for and if you’ve got a gator or quad or something other than just your back to hump that water over to your grow site you’ll be golden.

At the risk of telling you what you already know you’re gonna need like 4 bags of that Fox Farms soil to fill those 10 gallon pots. Those soil bags are like about enough to fill one pot. Also for the plants going in the ground I’d recommend in the bottom of the hole you dig a big scoop of something like chicken manure or ProGro if you have it at your agway.

1 Like

2 cubic feet is the biggest bag I can find. My local Walmart sells it and it’s $31 for 2 cubic feet aka 40lb bag which is the same on Amazon.

I have an old chicken coop that is no longer in use. It has chicken wire on a wooden frame that goes over the top and all sides and is anchored to the ground. Raccoons or something kept killing my chickens so I quit raising them. I didn’t know chicken manure was good for plants. I have mass turkeys that roost in the pine trees in my woods and they come up to my field to eat the bugs or something and scratch around on a daily basis and I can see in the winters by the prints left in the snow that my land is a pathway for deer to cross between fields and woods like my land is a freeway or something and got lots of coyotes running around. So that is why I will have some on balcony of by barn that faces south west and one inside my barn sitting right in front of sliding door. It’s pretty windy at my barn to so I need to support my plants just have not figured that one out yet. I just know I need to do that. Next year will be way better and I will have way more knowledge than I do rn.

For what it’s worth I use coast of Maine Stonington Blend which comes in a 1.5 ft.³ bag and fills a 10 gallon pot with just a tiny bit of soil left over.

I figure it with easy numbers 10 gallons is about 1 1/3 cubic feet.

1 Like

I just lost my last two chickens last week to a raccoon. Sucks. At least the first one got dragged off into the woods and was never seen again. The very next night I knew that raccoon had a taste for chicken and would be back so I made sure to lock my last hen up real good in the coop and that son of a bitch got in there somehow And just made the absolute goriest mess. And it was gnarly. It was like I was cleaning up the set from an M night Shyamalan movie.

But yeah, chicken poop is real good for plants. You got a compost it for a few months first because it’s real hot and will burn your plants plus fresh poop can have pathogens in it and you want to compost it to make sure that stuff gets killed off but yea it’s good sh!t lol. I don’t have enough chickens to have a real good supply so I just buy it from Agway in a 40 pound bag

As for staking up your plants, treat them like tomatoes. I jam stakes straight into the pot whenever I need them for extra support but that’s nothing you have to worry about until August when things start flowering. The plant will support itself in vegetative growth from now until early August

1 Like

It’s been 2 years since I have had chickens. I live in Ohio and leaves on trees start changing color mid September. Leaves are on ground end of October so I imagine my plants to be ready to harvest end of September beginning of October depending on temperatures. Which is why I feel I am late in the game.

1 Like

It’s really not up to you when it starts flowering so the fact that you’re only starting plants now does not make you behind in really any meaningful way. The only sense you’re behind is that if you had started them indoors in April they’d be bigger right now but that’s about it. They’re still going to all start flowering at the same time which will be in about mid August depending on your latitude. Depending on the strain you can plan to harvest sometime in October. I am at about the 45th parallel in Vermont and my plants typically finish up mid to late October but we deal with the same weather patterns you do in the sense that leaves are turning in September and are all on the ground by the first couple of weeks of October

They can handle cold temperatures. Especially a plant loaded with buds nights in the 30s are not the end of the world at all. Mine usually wind up going a couple of nights lower than that

2 Likes

Quick question. I see my seeds sprouting and I am planting them today in dirt. Do I plant the thing coming out of the seed up or down?