Help help help. I woke up this morning and 2 of my 4 look like this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_aps_sr_pg1_2?ie=UTF8&adId=A0040929N3G0T637SR55&url=%2FApera-Instruments-AI209-Waterproof-Accuracy%2Fdp%2FB01ENFOHN8%2Fref%3Dsr_1_2_sspa%3Fcrid%3D34ERXPYFZ9I6O%26keywords%3Dapera%2Bph20%26qid%3D1556040787%26s%3Dgateway%26sprefix%3Dapera%2Bph20%252Caps%252C260%26sr%3D8-2-spons%26psc%3D1&qualifier=1556040787&id=6519991874662586&widgetName=sp_atf

6 Likes

Yep that’s it. I definitely agree on buying one of the better ones like mentioned here. I tried a cheap one and it failed and caused me plant issues. The apera has only needed calibration once since I received it. The cheap one was weekly and still was never accurate.

3 Likes

15 Likes

You are fully outfitted now, you will be a pH wizard…WooHoo!

6 Likes

I used the apera ph20 for over a year. It worked great until I smashed the bulb.
Now I use the apera pH60… with replaceable bulb

3 Likes

Oh I’m way out of my element here . Lol these things are intimidating just looking at them !

6 Likes

So it says to hydrate it for 24 hrs? Is that a must ?

1 Like

I would hydrate as instructed but after a couple of hours, go ahead and take some readings because you are trying to correct a current issue. After use, hydrate as instructed over night.

The hydration process prepares the probe for use and will insure accuracy and longer useful life.

Read and follow all of the manufacturer’s instructions. You will be using it like a pro before you know it.

Put the probe in the soaking solution as directed and while you wait for it to do it’s thing, study the manual.

4 Likes

I just wanted to tell you that when I finally learned how crucial pH is when growing cannabis (particularly in containers/indoors) I became a “pH Nazi”. I watch my pH like a hawk and take corrective action immediately when pH is not where I want it.

The instrumentation intimidated me at the beginning but I now feel quite competent.

8 Likes

You’ll get the hang of it. It was out of my experience zone so to speak for me as well. Now it’s just another thing that I do without even thinking. Make it a habit to test everytime and you’ll always know it’s right.

5 Likes

I use this pen as well as my cheaper one was constantly getting off calibration. Make sure you follow the instructions and yes do the hydration for the full 24 hours.

The only thing I dislike about this pen is it takes a minute or two to get a reading but that was because my cheapo had me spoiled. Just leave it in the water until the number stop dropping/rising.

With the ph up & down, it only takes a little to adjust… Takes more up to bring it up rather than down to bring it down. It comes with a 1mL dropper. I’m not sure how big your res is but I have a total of 14 gallons and if I need to adjust down by .1 or .2 then I’ll use half of the dropper. Takes a full 1 or two for the pH up… you’ll find what works best for you. I ended up buying some different size syringes (1, 3, 5mL) and keeping note of how much it changes.

3 Likes

Well I let it soak for a few hours and then took a reading of my tap water which was at 7. 0 now this tediously irritating task of ph’d down is becoming the bane of my existence. Uggggghhhhh

2 Likes

Hahaha, we all go through it I’m sure! You’ll get the hang of it after a few adjustments.

3 Likes

1 Like

And I should measure ph in and out after watering correct?

1 Like

Correct. Just make sure to adjust your PH after you add the nutrients to your water.

4 Likes

And a little tip: keep the glass bulb clean for accurate readings, especially after testing solution with nutrients in it. Easiest way is to get a small paintbrush and dip it in distilled water. Then clean the bulb with the brush.

6 Likes

Solid advice there @BobbyDigital. :+1:

2 Likes

Sorry I didn’t get right to you but it looks like you have some solid regulars here giving you solid advice @BobbyDigital beat me by sharing the PH graphs as well as many other things.
Those blue labs are solid devices $$$! I’m using the Apera and actually have to calibrate it tonight so thanks for the reminder haha.

Once PH is in range give it a week and just update your grow log here with a picture every day so we can see if the plants improving or not, actually go to the grow journals and start a new grow journal. Don’t forget to tag us all.

3 Likes