HELP! Germination of Seeds - What am I Doing Wrong?

I think the seeds I received are duds. I initially placed the seed in water and put the container in a closet in darkness for approximately 72 hours. It did crack open because I could see the white of the plant root inside. I’ve had that seed in soil now for over two and half weeks and it still has not erupted from the soil. I changed the soil after ten days thinking that maybe it was the chlorinated water even though I let it set for 24 hours before using it. I decided that if I won’t drink the town water and I wouldn’t expect a pet to either, why would a plant be okay with it. I filtered (Britta filter) the water (I do this for my drinking water) and put it in a spray bottle and I have been using that water for the seeds.

I started a second seed following the guide for indoor autoflower germination just like the first one and planted it on Friday, April 9. It too has not yet made an appearance. I’ve had the lighting on 24/7 and still nothing.

The temp has been pretty constant at around 75 degrees. The soil has been kept moist and I am at a complete loss as to why they have not sprouted.

I feel ripped off. Perhaps I should ask for a refund on these seeds.

Any help or suggestions on why they aren’t growing is very much appreciated. If I left out anything that may be relevant please do not hesitate to ask.

1 Like

Biggest killer of seeds is love.
If you keep them too wet they will rot.
After soaking 24 hrs place in a damp paper towel
After you see a root place it in damp (not soaked) soil.
You should not be able to squeeze any water out of the dirt if you grab a handful
Try to avoid touching the seeds at any time.
Many of us myself included killed most of out first batch of seeds.
Do you have any pictures?.

Edit…I buy seeds here all the time. Get an occasional dud but most sprout fine.

5 Likes

I use the same method as spiney, with the addition of hydrogen peroxide for that initial soak. 3 parts water to 1 part 3% drugstore peroxide. I’d also recommend picking up a $1 jug of distilled water at the grocery store, just to be on the safe side. That jug will last you thru the first couple weeks when they’re at their most delicate stage.

3 Likes

I recently switched to the ziploc method. Well, incorporated it. 24hr soak, damp paper towel folded once in a Ziploc until +½" root, then ¼-½" in medium. Voila!

4 Likes

If your seeds come from ILGM you have not been scammed. Their reputation and customer service are constantly mentioned within this forum as top notch REPEATEDLY. There has to be a factor contributing to your problem. This is the place to figure it out. Be patient and follow along with these experts here. There’s some top notch advice shared here daily FOR FREE. Good luck.

4 Likes

If the seed cracked and you saw a “tounge” root …your seeds germinated! If just visible you should have followed up with a damp paper towel and once the “tail” root grows out 1/4 inch or more then plant. And since a seedling has no roots yet no watering is necessary. A humidity dome is a good practice as all moisture at this stage go in thru the leaves.

3 Likes

A picture won’t do any good. All you see in the pot is the soil I used. I try not to make the soil real wet it is damp when I touch it, but it doesn’t drip water and since the pot is very small at this stage there isn’t much to grab for soil. So I should use a paper towel even though the seed cracked along its seam, yes?

1 Like

Yes, i do.i let the root develope a bit.

Sorry. I didn’t mean to imply that ILGM is a scam. I know it’s not. I just feel like maybe there is some critical info I am currently not privy to.

So, now my question is: will carefully removing the seeds from the soil and using the paper towel method harm the seeds at this stage? They did split/crack open, but that’s all they have done.

1 Like

@Sioux1055 They have these support tickets that help everyone get up to speed on your particulars. Let me see who we can get you connected to. @MidwestGuy @PurpNGold74 @dbrn32

This riddle will be unraveled

Support ticket…

1 Like

I wouldnt it may still surface but im thinking it was planted too early and or too much water.

So, I wait for a few more days to see what happens or do I just go ahead and do the paper towel thing? I really, really, really want some pot since my neighbor said he would give me stuff as long as we are both here, except he didn’t and I am tired of relying on someone else to keep their word. Easier if I just grow my own. :slight_smile:

What kind of soil are you planting the seeds in, how deep are you planting, and are you watering after planting?

I am using a seed starting soil mix. I planted them about 1/4" deep. I did water after planting and I check them several times a day to make sure the soil is still moist. If the top layer is dry I take my little tool and move the soil on one side near the edge of the pot to see if it is still damp underneath. If it isn’t I use the sprayer and wet the top layer, check underneath again and add more water if it looks dry.

I am thinking that although the guides are really good something about using the paper towel to grow the root after the seed shell splits might be something to add to one of the guides on growing the seed/seedling. Just a guess, but I think that may have unknowingly confused me about the germination. I still have another 8 seeds, but if I can avoid using them right now it would do me better later on.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide or do to make these grow.

@Sioux1055 self resiliency is a powerful thing.

Lay off the watering. A seedling has no roots to drink yet. It drinks thru its leaves untill it produces roots! Your soil shouldnt be moist but just damp at most. mho

Understood about the water. The thing is that the seed never sprouted. There are NO leaves for its respiration process. I am trying to get the seed to grow, but failing miserably. I think I am going to try that paper towel thing and see if the seed sprouts a root that I can then transplant into the soil.

Soil. I have two types, one is a seed starting mix and the other is the Fox Farm Happy Frog potting soil or whatever it says on the bag. I also have 3 types of plant food one each for the NPK nutrients that will be needed later (also Fox Farm).

At this stage im still not “watering” but at best a drip or 2 off my finger. Mist the dome.

At this stage just a little water an ounce or 2 per warering approx.

2 Likes