HELP! First time grow. Already beat the gnats and culled my plants, but I’m facing ever surmounting odds!

Being quite soaked is not definitive as to what is in the soil! You must check ppms and ph and know they are right before you do anything regarding feeding!

1 Like

I would take a small stick and poke holes all around the soil to increase air flow to the root system. Overwatering can cause some big problems.

They don’t look too bad to me. I feel like if you just get your environment right they will be able to handle the soil.

All too often I see people try and fix issues buy flushing, feeding, etc. In most cases the plants just need some “me” time to get straight.

1 Like

So I’m coming to the conclusion that I was a bit overzealous going into this, and rushed to get the plants growing, before I really had everything I needed. Got a laundry list of things I need to tweak, upgrade, and acquire to get the grow going right. But hey! That’s how you learn.

The plan of attack is to continue this grow and try and learn as much as I can from it.

I’m starting a new job this week finally, as I had been laid off and unemployment Assistance is so far backed up that I’ve been waiting for 4 months for anybody to see me. So I’ll have money to get the things I need. Although unfortunately enough for me there no gardening stores near me that carry anything of real value.

However, the list is pretty much this.

Get myself a sonofarm pro series 2000 and a sonofarm pro series 4000 LED’s to replace and completely overhaul my light systems. That will give me the power I need to rapidly produce new growth and reallly fill the plant out with training.

For soil I’m going to be acquiring some 7-10 gallon fabric pots, although I’d like the wire ones that Velcro apart for transplanting if I could find any, but filling it up with a coco and jacks 321 mix that I saw on @Hellraiser zkittles grow.

Of course I need an ads reader to read the PPMs of my water run off

Buying a bulk PH testing and UP down kit

With the increased light, I’ll want to have some Co2 raining down on them so I’ll need to get that.

SEEDS! I’ll be looking to get some premium genetics for seeds. I know ILGM has some good ones that I’ll be checking out like Durban poison. But if you or anybody knows of a good seed bank that carries lit farms strains or things of that nature that would be greatly appreciated.

I’ll be building risers to keep the bottoms of the pots of the grow and increase airflow and oxygenation in the roots.

And better fans. I’m thinking the vivosun clip on fans will do nicely in my tent.

I’ll be adding a dehumidifier/humidifier to the tent as well to keep a stable RH.

Those are going to be the main upgrades. I’ll also be journaling every detail of the plants life like it’s a workout routine and sharing my results and progress here for other growers.

That being said, I would still love to save this grow and pull something decent out of harvest. I imagine my yield won’t be anything to write home about, but worth a shot.

If there’s anything I missed that’s gonna be key to giving ideal environments please let me know.

But all that aside I must admit I’m thrilled to see the chemdawg sprout I have responding well to everything and the shape of both plants is exciting for me as first time grower, to see that my training is actually working.

1 Like

There are things that you need, there are things that make it easier and then there are things that you just want! A TDS and PH pen are a necessity for indoor growing! It really isn’t hard to grow this weed as long as you can replicate an outdoor environment and keep it within parameters. I personally use coco(just basic stuff, nothing added) and in my opinion it is the best medium I have used. Those appear to be solid lights especially with a 5 year warranty!

1 Like

That’s for sure. I definitely jumped the gun, but I’m thinking if I can get the PH in check that’ll be half the battle. And absolutely. I don’t have them yet so I can’t say it with absolute certainty, but they seem to be the best quality LEDs currently out and the price with the warranty is unreal. I was really spurred to go for the purchase when I also saw it’s all in the USA and the customer service reviews were all stellar. At least that’s what I’ve been seeing around, so I’m stoked about that. That will drastically change my grow.

Also, any recommendations on where to get. Quality TDS and Ph pen? I know there are some on Amazon, but before I spring for it and get something sub par

1 Like

I use a generic TDS pen, and have not had any issues with it! I use an Apera PH pen and have been happy with it as well! If you do a search using the search function at top right of page by your avatar (select all categories and search for threads on the subject). From what I have read Apera and Blue Lab are considered the best!

2 Likes

Fantastic, alright I’ll. Check that out

Just creating an update!

I topped off the smaller plant a second time, as it’s quickly becoming the larger plant.

The wifi OG has seen little growth in the past week. I defoliated a lot of it’s dead crispy leaves to allow all of its energy to push to the top of the plant. I created holes in the soil to help get some oxygen to the roots. I feel like the plant has gone through too much. But we will see.

Anyway, I’m also noticing some red appear in the stems of the Chen dawg baby. I’m not sure if it’s from a MAG deficiency or what, but that’s the only issue with the chemdawg, save for a little nute burn from using

None of the upgrades I’ve ordered have arrived yet. Even my ADS hasn’t arrived. But such is Covid parcel delivery. Hope everyone’s doing good!

FFOF.

1 Like

UH OH! Guys I’m no expert, but is this a pair of balls on my little lady?

Or are they pistils? I can’t quite tell, but after everything this plant has been through, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was balls.

There are a couple suspect looking spots, but just watch them to see what they do! Sorry it took so to get back with you man!

1 Like

No worries, I think we’ve got calyx. It’s been a few days and I’m starting to see why looks like little hairs emerging from small splits in the middle.

3 Likes

AND in other news, for everyone who’s been with me and helping me along in this grow. You’ll be happy to know, that the plants are now properly fed and PHd, as it turned out my PH was the big factor in the Nutrient burn. When I had fed that plant in particular early on, I had done so with a bottled water that I didn’t realize was a PHd super alkaline water. It was like one of the bigger bottles of the fancy Poland spring. So that had stripped the soil. But I got everything in check, we are at a PH of 5.9 with the wifi that was doing poorly, and a cool 6.2 on the CHEM DAWG. They have been topped and responded well the topping. I’ve been giving them lots of LST and defoliating the lower parts of the plant. All of which they are now responding very well to. I’ve decided now, despite the smallish size of the plants, the wifi has now hit its second month in veg, and the chemdawg (now about the same size as the wifi but with more, healthier colas) has hit its 1 month mark, and I have some plans in the works for the next grow this spring, to put them into flower. A new light will be here in the next couple of weeks, full spectrums Samsung’s so I’ll be putting that in along with the blurple I have now sometime during their flowering. So looking forward to see what these ladies come out looking like.

1 Like

Alright guys, happy Easter! so I’m about 25-26 days into flower. I’ve noticed on one my chemdawg plant this burning/ambering(?) of tricomes on some of the smaller nodes in the middle. I know the purple light is on, but you can still see what I mean.

However, on the larger nodes of the same plant the tricomes are still a beautiful white color.

My first thought was that the light was too close and that they were crisping. So I moved the light back, but it continued to progress. Next thought was maybe it’s a cal mag deficiency?

It’s worth mentioning that the flowers in question, are very small but very dense, and cone shaped. They are COVERED in resin, as are their surroundings leaves. So that made me think maybe they’re premature?

I believe you are referring to the pistils and not the trichomes. It’s pretty normal for the ones closest to the light to start turning red gold or brown early and as far as I know isn’t the sign of any kind of a problem. Your trichomes are the microscopic crystals all over your buds and sugar leaves that are supposed to turn cloudy and Amber when the bud is mature.

1 Like

Cal Mag deficiencies will show up in the leaves as Rusty spots in between the veins.

2 Likes

Got ya, thank you. So you’re thinking that it’s no big deal than? And I had thought cal mag because I had read elsewhere that typically if you’re having issues with discoloration in flower cal mag is a good for step

1 Like

I have never baked soil. I have got my pots ready and put boiling water to flush them out. But that was MG soil. I’ll add a little molasses. To the water. It will crusty the soil. I call it honey the soil. It will trap them. At that point you can get some Dr Earth spray for them. Hang some yellow biug strips. I’ll be even got small little to go cups put vinegar in them . It doesn’t work :100:. Also put them in you pots on top of the soil. We say if we put a fan on it will keep them away this is true but if you have them bad they will crawl. If you can keep them from shedding their skin. You got them. Blue strips for white flies. There are videos on how to use hydrogen peroxide. I would not suggest that anymore. I did that last year. I thought it was going to kill my plants. It should have. It was crazy. The plants almost boiled out of the pots. No lie. I had to take them and put them in the shower to flush the soil. The next day I knew they would be dead. They where not. But it kills every thing as for as microbes. It stop the bugs for a little while. I stick with happy frog.

2 Likes

They look good

1 Like

The leaves look great. First grow? Looks like you going to get it. These guys and gals here will help you to achieve nice plants.

1 Like