HELP! First time grow. Already beat the gnats and culled my plants, but I’m facing ever surmounting odds!

Yes indeed, all plants are transplanted from the solo cups now to 3 gallon pots. Now as far as soaking the soil is concerned, I’ve been fearful to do that because the plants didn’t seem to be drinking up the water and I was fearful of overwatering.

And yes I have the feeding chart from fox farms, but what I was feeding them, I was giving them 2/3 of the recommendation because I know as a rule of thumb the company that’s selling the product wants you to use more of it than you need so you buy more faster, lol.

And I did bake the soil, using a meat thermometer to ensure that the temperature of the soil didn’t go above 200 degrees Fahrenheit. All the reading I’ve done it says that’s the sweet spot to kill the dormant larvae without scorching everything else. And I’ll have to check those out once I get a little more money.

The lights suggest hanging height is 24-32 inches above the canopy. However other growers who used this particular light system had warned that the light isn’t as powerful as it advertises, so I had it a bit closer. But I’ve moved it back to about 30 inches and added those twisty clip on lights to the sides of the tent to try and imitate in some way the pattern of the sun with an outdoor grow to boost the yield of my plants and promote more flowering sites with a little LST.

And yes absolutely it did. I’m going to get the plants a good soak and keep the thread updated with my progress.

I’ve heard that before. I’ll give that a try on my next grow for sure thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also, should I cut the ones that are contact with the soil even when it’s just because they’re wilting? And if I defoliate the chemdawg seedling to early, won’t it stunt the growth?

1 Like

Also, I’d like to take another second to thank everyone for taking the time to look at my issues and help me with them. It really means a lot, and is all very welcome and very very much appreciated.

1 Like

@Holmes @CMichGrower @imSICKkid @AAA @mrgimpy200 this is the chemdawg baby, it’s about 2 weeks behind the WiFi OG and was just transplanted and soaked. The upper canopy seems to be loving it as the leaves look healthy and are reaching straight up for the sky. The lower fan leaves however not so much, and I’m curious if I should defoliate the lower portion of the stalk so that I don’t have wilted leaves sitting in the moist soil. However, I’m fearful that if I start lopping off branches too early that it’ll stunt the growth. Any input is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

As a reference to the rate of which this girl is growing, this is a picture taken in January 28th.

1 Like

If the new growth is doing well and if those lower leaves don’t recover in a few hours then they will never recover and you can lop them off.

1 Like

Just went ahead and removed the two larger fan leaves that were drooping into the soil. They were pretty crispy as it is.

Those leaves needed to go man! Once a leaf gets damaged they will not recover that part, they may not worsen and if it stops you can just trim off the bad part! Check this out and take the time to fill it out and we may see something that could be an issue in the future! We all like to grow bud, we all like to smoke bud and believe it or not we all want to see you grow some bud too! :sunglasses: :v:
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Always remember pics with natural light or flash!

I’m Sorry about the late response I couldn’t get to a computer. The strains currently are WIFI OG and Chemdawg. They’re just bag seeds to start off with from a friend.

My growing medium is just straight out of the bag fox farm ocean forest, in plastic 3 gallon pots.

The water PH at my house varies between 6.6 and 7.6 usually

I don’t know the PPM so N/A

Indoor grow

Light systems is currently a cruddy blurple vivosun 300w light, but I’m currently getting together money to invest in a better light.

Temps range between 55 (night) and 70(day) with it usually being around 65 degrees.

Humidity stays around 60%rh

Yes I have a 6 inch inline ventilation system with a carbon filter.

N/a

N/a

My next investments it appears are going to be into more powerful professional grade lighting, and some better seeds from a trusted seed farm. As well as larger fabric pots instead of plastic. And, if anybody on this post has any suggestions for an easy to make or relatively fairly priced growing medium that they think would work better than ocean forest or anything I’d love to hear that. I’ve been doing a bit of reading since being on here, and it seems that coconut coir(choir?) and a perlite mix in a about a 70/30 ratio is the sweet spot. But I don’t know anything about making my own or what companies to trust and other mixes and all that. Also anybody’s suggestions on strains or maybe which seed pack from the IlGM shop might have worked for them in the past. Thanks again guys! Mahalo and much love.

@CMichGrower @AAA @Holmes @imSICKkid alright, so I’ve topped the chemdawg and defoliated the wifi OG to prep them for some LST and get a little more light distribution on the canopy. The chemdawg is responding really well and has already started sprouting an entirely new node! But the wifi OG now has leaves that are turning a purply/ orange and crispy.

I’m wondering if it’s just nutrient burn, as both pots have recently been soaked, and after being defoliated as much as it did, it maybe pulled up a lot
More nutrients with the watering and had less places to put them? Which maybe caused the leaves on the top on bottom to burn like that? That’s my best guess. Would you guys happen to have any input?

Just some more pics.

Looks like your going way to hard on the feedings. The curling leaves are from nitrogen toxicity and the other plant looks like shes over fed as well.

5 Likes

But how could that be? They’re just Recieving water. I know the soil is a bit of a hot mix, and we discovered that earlier I was having nute burn because of this. At @CMichGrower suggestion, I’ve just been soaking the plants once every 4-5 days depending with 100% H2O. Like that be the issue? As the roots are reaching for new areas of the soil they’re getting into untapped nutrient rich areas of the medium that are causing this? It just seems like a bit much. I noticed the yellowing of the leaves as well indicative of nitrogen burn, and if that’s the case, what can I do to fix the issues if I’m not feeding? I’m currently just waiting for them to grow out of it.

Definitely clawing and burn from Too much N! More water = more feeding from the soil! Do you have PH and PPM numbers from water in and runoff?

2 Likes

I don’t have the run off values as I don’t have a an (ADS)? Reader and can’t really get one yet as I’m having issues with my bank account, and most garden stores have next to 0 stock because where I live it’s considered seasonal, and we are out of season.

@Holmes however I do know that my water PH is about around 7 usually, so it’s ok. The PH of my soil when I bought it was 6.4.
The question I now have, is how do I correct this? Just wait until the plants out grow it? I suppose since the issue appears to be because of the soil being too hot for the plants right now, that I could of course transplant them. But that seems unnecessary and ffof is rated for seed to harvest. Less water when feeding?

Ok, as I’m reading about it elsewhere On the forum it seems the solution is to flush the soil with water. But since that’s all they’ve been getting anyway, it seems like that’s not the solution for me. What I’ve decided to do is increase direct airflow on the leaves hoping to mechanically speed up transpiration. My thought process is that since the N toxicity is coming from the soil and not anything I’m adding, that if I can speed up the rate in which the plant uses it’s water, while drying out the soil faster, I can quickly flush excess Nutes by forcing the plant to brute force “use it or lose it” and by doing so, hopefully regain some balance in my medium. What do you think?

Flushing will leach the nutrients out of the soil, unlike watering as normal will just keep feeding! You can make the environment ideal and they will use more nutrients and more water and more light! You should flush thoroughly and start a light nutrient regimen when the new growth is normal!

1 Like

Got it. They’re completely soaked as is, as far as a light nutrient regiment goes, how would you suggest I get started on that? Also, just a quick update, they seem to be reacting well to the direct flow of air. The leaves, while yellow, are starting to reach up towards the light. I also rotated the pots, as a lot of the literature on this site suggest that while it’s not a science yet, light seems to effects the way the plants react during toxicity. They seem to be happier, save for the leaves that are crispy and burnt, and will be removed once I see the plant peeking back up.

I’d also like to just say that while I see it’s yellowed, and I expect it to be because of the soil I’m using, I’m really happy with the growth of the smaller chemdawg plant. It’s only about 3 weeks from the time it popped and it’s already got 3 strong colas starting to form. I’m excited to see how it reacts to an upgrade in light, and more accurate feedings once I get the PPM reader. I’m also considering moving it into a larger, canvas, pot once the new light system arrives. Anyway, just wanted to say how happy I was with the shape this little lady is taking.

1 Like