HELP! Fan Leaves turning brown and dry

I am a first time grower starting with a small indoor 3x3 grow of Super Skunk. Between weeks 5 and 6 of flower I notice that half or a little more of 1 of my 3 plants has many of the fan leaves turning brown and getting dry. I have always notice this one plant to be a runt much shorter than the other two but now I am not sure what is wrong with her. Everything between the 3 has been the same soil, water, light fertilizer etc… any ideas. I started her on hydrogen peroxide two days ago but not sure what to do next. Pull her all together and focus on the other two that don’t have any signs of this same issue?

First picture is the issue and second is half of her that doesn’t show the issue. Looks to be two of the 4 branches.

3 Likes

First of all welcome to the community. Bottom picture is showing signs of nute burn and possibly nitrogen toxicity (leaf tips burnt and really dark green leaves). What’s your soil and what are you feeding right now.
I’ve added a support ticket as well. Gives the rest of the team a better idea of your grow and the environment you’re growing in :sunglasses:
If you need to get anyone’s attention stick @ in front of their user name. It will put a flag up and they will swing by for a chat

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Davyg thanks for the reply. I’m excited to be part of the community.
I thought so too so I cut back on the additional bloom fertilizer just a small amount and tried to water with ph6.5 water for a couple days. As for soil it’s just a miracle grow natural soil picked up from Lowe’s. Again since it’s my first time I didn’t want to spend a ton on soils just to mess it all up. ILGM was out of all fertilizers so I ended up with “Flower Fuel 1-34-32” (mixing per the instruction). Up until the last 4-5 days I haven’t seen much of an issue aside from the tips. But now this, only one plant and not all of it so I’m confused to say the least. This one POF does have slightly less soil than my others and takes less water as a result

1 Like

This community is excellent and super knowledgeable as well, real decent bunch. You will love it here :heart_eyes:.
Not familiar with flower fields but looking at the NPK values that is a fairly potent mix for flowering. Some miracle gro soils are not cannabis friendly and as such that could be an issue. I think your biggest problem is your soil and potentially your feed. I think your soil is way to hot and adding that potent feed is making things worse. I think you should wind the feed right back and get yourself a tds/ppm meter of some sort to monitor your runoff

3 Likes

@ThomasM36. That is strange that only 2 branches are affected.
Check where the affected stems attach to the main stem and check for any cracks or openings.
If you could post a pic where they join it would be great.
Just havin a stoner thought. :wink:
:v::pray:

3 Likes

I need to go to bed now as it’s 11pm. Someone will pick up the baton and guide you in your quest. Good luck @ThomasM36 if you need to tag us add @ in front of their user name :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Davyg @Oldguy thank you again for the comments. I did check the main branch and all along up to the bud sites but could not find and damage. To answer some of the previous questions from earlier… if the issue is nutrient burn is there any saving this plant at this point 6 weeks into flower? Can I harvest or should I cut her and focus on the other 2 in the tent?? I moved to only water 6.6 Ph for a week to try and flush some

• ILGM Super Skunk Feminized
  • Organic soil see picture
  • 5 Gallon Fabric Pots so each plant is separate
  • PH of Water ranges from 6.4 - 6.7, runoff never checked
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable… I don’t know this info
  • Indoor 3’x3’x6’ grow tent
  • Lighting: MARS HYDRO TS 1000W Led
  • Temps: Day 77-79F, Night 73-75F
  • Humidity: Day 55-60%, Night 50-55%
  • Ventilation: YES Vivosun 4” 203 CFM
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, NONE
  • Co2; NO

1 Like

I would flush it a lot

2 Likes

I agree with @GhostGrow. You can do one of two things, you can flush her or you can give her plain water for a while and watch for signs of recovery. You really need to know what your runoff is like. Ph is on point going in but check your runoff PH or do a slurry test. Need an idea of your runoff tds/ppm as well. Takes a lot of the guess work out :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@Davyg. I’ve done slurry tests when asked before what are acceptable ranges? Is there a chart or something for us newbies? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

@JaneQP this chart shows the range at which various minerals drop out due to the soil being too acidic or too alkaline. If your pH swings too far one way or the other then the minerals affected will become immobile and no longer available to the plant. This leads to various deficiencies depending on which way your pH swings. If you look at the chart you can see that calcium starts to become immobile as the pH drops below
6.3 - 6.2. Hope this helps :sunglasses:

4 Likes

@Davyg. This helps tremendously! Thank you. I have only seen the water charts but now I understand.

2 Likes

Anytime @JaneQP. Here6s another chart that gives an idea of ec/tds values at various stages. Handy enough for reference :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Davyg again so grateful for such an awesome community willing to step up and offer tons of advice. As a first time grow I KNOW that I made plenty of mistakes. One major being my inability to test runoff, as my fabric pots are in direct contact with a common catch pan so flushing them is also a problem. I did attempt to move them so that I was able to but I fear damaging the as they are getting pretty too heavy. I fill three 6 gallon (22L) buckets for watering and I Ph them all the same and have tested at a local spa who normally does my pool water. With only a few weeks left in flower I will switch over to just a ph water and no additional nutrients. If what I lm hoping and it’s just nutrient burn will I be able to salvage the damaged plant?? Should I remove her and cut my lose?? Will I risk the other two if I leave her in the tent??

1 Like

This is an amazing forum @ThomasM36, knowledge is off the scale. As for mistakes, jeez I’ve assassinated my fair share of plants :man_facepalming::scream::rofl::rofl:. I would leave her in the tent but monitor that damage plant closely, you need to make sure that that damage doesn’t get worse or go mouldy. Keep an eye on your watering as well. Make sure they dry out a good bit and are not sitting soggy :wink:
Really need to get an idea of runoff some how as well.

1 Like

I would stay away from MG. I see in one phase of grow I would use it for. I don’t. The soil has bugs. Even if it is dry. If you use that kind of stuff you need to use boiling water to flush out the bugs. Also a hydrogen peroxide bath for the soil will help. To me it looks like you got a mold problem on a few leaves and a deficiency. The leaves look really dark. Make sure your getting air around your plants. Ph is important. I have found out the hard way. Looking again you may have just got it too hot

1 Like

@Davyg thank you! I honestly thought I would kill them all as I have not a green thumb on my body. I will keep a close eye on her and at first sight of more damage I will likely pull her. I was able to lift the pots and place them onto a few bricks I just hope that I didn’t cause damage to the health girls as they are very too heavy. As for watering I will stay away from the fertilizers for a week or the last two of flower. @Hemp I have used regular peroxide waterings in hope to keep the fly larva down so I hope this was able to help some.

2 Likes

I do that to the soil before I plant anything in it.
You can Do a hydrogen peroxide bath but really and truly nene oil works. I hate to say it I also use molasses it helps Honey the soil a little and keeps him from coming in and out. The fly strips work but I would use yellow.
I have used apple cider vinegar and stuff like that it helps for a few flys. You can give your plants a hydrogen peroxide bath but you got to be careful you put too much out of the peroxide in there it will bubble your plan out of the pot. That kind of stuff you need to research don’t take my word for it do not take a chance on what I say. What I’m trying to say is you got to be careful

2 Likes

Your flies are an indication that your soil is too wet for too long. Let them dry out, you will feel your pot getting lighter. They will thank you big time for a dry spell :wink:

2 Likes

@Davyg @Hemp with this being my first grow I expected to make way more mistakes honestly. I do have the yellow papers hanging in the tent and a small card in each pot. I don’t see many of any flies really I have kept up doing it more of a preventative step. But I will reduce the watering by another day I have been doing every other day, they normally take 1L every 2 days. Does this seem like enough, too little or too much??

2 Likes