Help! Complete newbie! Leaves discoloured very quickly

Heya!

I need some help, I’m a completely new and don’t know much about growing.

My girl has started to show some bad signs in the past week, she’s a blue dream.

No idea what the setup is, I got it from a friend.

The tips of the fan leaves started to turn a little yellow and now now the lower leaves are turning patchy yellow.

It’s in soil in a grow box that I’ll attach to this post. I just used premium soil from a jiffy and made the rookie mistake of just moving it directly into a giant pot

If someone could help me ASAP with the issues I would truly appreciate that. Thanks!

2 Likes

First start off with the support ticket below, and take the meter out of your soil. They are not ment to stay in soil.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

-What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed (photo or auto)
-Age of plant
-Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
-Vessels: Type and capacity of container (fabric, plastic, etc)
-PH and TDS of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
-PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
-Method used to measure PH and TDS
-Indoor or Outdoor if indoor, size of grow space
-Light system List brand and wattage/spectrum
-Actual wattage draw of lights
-Current Light Schedule
-Temps; Day, Night
-Humidity; Day, Night
-Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
-AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
-Co2; Yes, No

If growing Hydro some additional questions:

-DWC? RDWC? Autopots? Ebb and Flow? Other?
-Distance of liquid below net pot (DWC)
-Temperature of reservoir
-TDS of nutrient solution
-Amount of air to solution

Always try to upload a clear picture in white light of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Happy growing! :hugs:

4 Likes

Welcome to the community!! Yes fill out the support ticket with as much information as you can. Then the pros on here can give you great advice. Happy Growing :blush::v:

2 Likes

Blue Dream fem(not sure on bank)
-Age of plant ~ 10 weeks, Topped at 30cm.
-Method: Only used premium soil. Other than that just. Bit of seasol the past couple of waters(potential issues?)
-Vessels: Type and capacity of container is ceramic, I’m not sure what the actual size is.
-I check today and it’s sitting in between 5.5-6 PH in the soil. I have just gotten a ph reader and will probably change it to 6.5 if that’s a good number?
-It’s an indoor system, I’ll add a photo as this was given to me but quite old. It’s worked amazingly until the past week.

• lights are Sylvania Fb40cw/rs/ss-6 around sides, an old bulb on top for warmth, seems to be perfect in the box and a warm white one next to it. I’ll add a photo of the setup.
  • 34W for Sylvania and 25 for the warm white.
    -Current Light Schedule is 18.5/5.5
    -Temps the unit is consistent all day around and it has been relatively cold at night time until recently.
    -Humidity; it feels like a consistent humidity and the plant has had no issues until now!
    -Ventilation system;
    -AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
    -Co2; Yes, No
    I use nothing else for the other questions, I will upload a photo of the setup.

1 Like

So I know nothing about CFLs, but I would recommend some LEDs lights from a company like HLG. Those lights won’t do much in flower. Yes, you want a pH of 6.5 for a soil based medium.

Depending on the soil your going to need to feed it something. I recommend Jack’s 321. It has literally everything needed minus any beneficial microbes you may want to add (I use Real Growers Recgarge and Fish Head Farns FishSh!t). Insanely cost effective too! 3.6 grams Jacks Part A, which is the primary special sauce of Jack’s and contains trace nutrients as well. 2.4 grams Jacks Part B (Calcium Nitrate), which is your main source of, you guessed it, Calcium and Nitrogen. 1.2 grams Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate), for your Magnesium and a bit of Sulfur.

Part A - 1000gram bag for $26.99 = roughly 277 gallons, $0.10 per gallon.
Part B - 1000gram bag for $23.99 = roughly 416 gallons, $0.06 per gallon.
Epsom Salt - Depends on brand. Bag I bought was 5lb (2267grams) for $13.99 = 1889 gallons, $0.0074 per gallon.

Then they have 25lb bags too! :rofl:

If you see a magnesium deficiency, just add more Magnesium Sulfate… Nitrogen deficiency? Just add more Calcium Nitrate.

For reference, here is my month old plant using 2x HLG QB 288V2’s, Jack’s 321, FishSh!t, Recharge, Coco coir as a medium, topped and mainlined.
The bit of discoloration has been sorted out, but you can see the difference in growth. Also, just do you know, when you flip to flower the plant can grow over 2x its current height.

Also, highly recommend you get an EC meter as well. I recommend Apera for meters. The PH20 abd EC20 is the bare minimum I recommend. If you can sell out some more, get the PC60, it dies both pH, EC, and more. Plus it is more accurate, and has a backlight, which I like more than I thought I would.

EC is Electrical Conductivity. You may have heard of “TDS” or “PPM”, EC is basically the same thing, but presented differently.

TDS (measured in PPM) is Total Dissolved Solids, PPM is Parts Per Million. PPM is calculated from EC, and there are different conversion factors with going from EC to PPM. Some meters use the 500 factor scale, and some use other factors. In other words, two different TDS meters can give you wildly different PPM values. But EC will always be the same no matter what you use, provided the meter is calibrated correctly. So go with an EC meter for a more definitive value.

Recommend you look at Rain Science grow bags (what I’m using above) They are a mesh bag that allows soil aeration to a far greater extent than terracotta. So much in fact roots will even poke out of the mesh! :drooling_face:

Happy Growing! :hugs:

2 Likes

Alright man welcome, so right off the bat I know nothing about your lights system, but you plants looks very tall and thin maybe genetics or not enough light. If can turn it up more power. Another have no ideal what premium soil is, does it have a name, is it organic, does it come with stuff already added in for your plant? Also you have start of cal mag deff starting, what nutes are you feeding? Also your ceramic pot can it drain what at the bottom or sides? Also you need to get a ph pen and ppm meter that probe you have sorry to say are trash. I tried them in my garden and killed my blue berries, I have cheap ph pen and ppm meter have worked fine for me. Sorry a lot take and breathe, and go get them, good luck

1 Like

Thank you very much for this info, I appreciate your response :grinning: I’m going to get the right nutrients for it and give it some TLC.

I just got the gear and holy smokes the water I was giving it was 3.3. She’s burnt so quickly that I’ve flushed her and added ph 6.7 water with plenty of nutrients.

Should I leave a fan oscillating on her??

Her soil was 4.5. Not good.

2 Likes

Sorry I can’t give you guys more precise info, first 6 weeks she was in a tiny cup with a crappy little light, I was in hospital. Love the cancer!

I made a huge rookie mistake with the lower and higher ph bottles.

The new system made her flourish from what she is. This isn’t a bud but this tomato has been in there on the side for a week.

1 Like

Yes! A small amount of “shimmy” to the plant is all you need.

What nutrients? You want to use cannabis appropriate nutrients. Different types have different ratios.

How did you test this? Those in-soil meters aren’t going to be accurate. The only thing they are good for is to get an idea of how moist the soil is.

So sorry to hear this! :pensive:

I used Yates thrive, seasol and used a soil test ph kit. I used nearly a teaspoon of Yates and a 1 mL seasol over 2 litres 30 minutes after I flushed her out.

I will add a photo of the products :slight_smile:

Thank you for asking follow up questions, I truely appreciate it!

1 Like

Room is a consistent 24C all day around, I’ll check later tonight when lights are off.

1 Like

Looks like a Ca deficiency. Ck your nutrients to see if they contain calcium. …but you have some other basics to consider:

1. Photosynthesis depends on the availability of light. Generally, as light intensity increases, so does photosynthesis. I believe CFL(s) are not going to provide enough light in the proper spectrum especially later in flower.

Light is the source of energy to fuel photosynthesis like food is the source of energy to fuel our bodies. Many mistake nutrients as the source of food for the plant.

Fertilizers are not plant food! Plants produce their own food from water, carbon dioxide, and solar energy through photosynthesis. This food (sugars and carbohydrates) is combined with plant nutrients to produce proteins, enzymes, vitamins, and other elements essential to growth. Poor daily light integral = poor photosynthesis = poor growth. Measure and control your light intensity and spectrum.

1. You need to measure and control humidity and temp. Temp and humidity go hand in hand to optimize vapor pressure differential (VPD). VPD allows the plant to transpire properly. Transpiration is vital because that is how a plant takes in CO2 and expels O2 and H2O. Both leaf and air temp are used along with relative humidity. Use a VPD chart to determine humidity for a given temp and the stage of growth you’re in. Be wary of charts that don’t include leaf temp.

Use a dehumidifier or humidifier that has a hygrometer sensor and can turn on/off the device to maintain a RH range.

Look up your room temp on a vapor pressure differential (VPD) chart and set your humidity measured at the canopy in the range for your stage of growth.

This is important: If relative humidity is low, the VPD can be too high, which may cause stunted growth. On the other hand, a low VPD correlates to high relative humidity can result in disease and mineral deficiencies. I believe you have a VPD issue.

2 Likes

Like @MH47 if try and get some better lighting, and you’re gunna need more height when you put that girl into flower. I’m not familiar with those nutrients at all and I’m not the guy to look at the box and know if it’s good or not. Bottom line either way, is lights are food, more food = bigger plant!

1 Like

After the flush yesterday, the nutrients and ph6.7 water has brought the soil ph down to 6-6.5.

Will keep updated as to her health but it deteriorated quickly until I did this!

If I leave the camera on the lights it goes through a whole set of different colours very quickly, is that normal?

Thank you for taking the time to respond and I think you’re right about the deficiency. I don’t have anything to correct it so I’ll have to pick something up before I water her tomorrow.

Assuming this and the PH were the only issues, do you think I can begin flowering or too early? All the photos you’ve seen are with the lights dimmed by my camera. They are incredibly bright!

One more thing,check out earth dust. Great product,makes life easy as no need to add all sorts of crazy amendments along the way. Add to soil at start,amend one time at early flower. It’s all organic and has all the nutes needed for a healthy grow. Leaves you free to just monitor the environment. Peace.

2 Likes

It could be a good idea for my next plant! :grin:

Still need to figure out flowering logistics of this one first for now though. :frowning: thanks for the helpful info on nutrients though!

If she is a photo I personally would keep her in veg till healed. If auto cant. That will also allow time for you to get a light. Starting flower with photo is a choice and I personally will not flip till i see her blowing up. The light requirement in flower will increase tremendously. Just my thoughts. Calmag is your friend. Also your ph was way off. Hence letem heal a bit. I just locked out 8 plants last week. Lost a lot of fans. They are now recovering. Slow process as bad as mine got. Just was lazy.

1 Like

It’s a good idea to let her heal after the acid water she was getting, but I’m also restricted with room. I’m guessing she’s only going to keep growing til she’s 6ft or something. I was trying to stop her around 30-35cm and she’s at 43 now hence the thought of starting the flowering cycle.

I’m certain the soil is now at a great Ph now so I’m just figuring this out. The growing container does open so I do have more room… but how much will it grow during flowering?