Help choosing first LED Light

Hi, i am converting my shed into a grow room and need help choosing my first LED light set up, the shed is 6’×12’ but I am only going to start off using less than half that area with a 6’×4’ grow space… should I get two 400w led or one 900w led? The lights I am considering are two 400w Apollo? Two 400w Mars reflector? Or just one Mars 900w reflector? I would like to order my light or lights tonight but am still unsure about choosing because there are so many to choose from lol. Thanks you

1 Like

Basically I need help choosing my first led light and I have a $400 budget for the light or lights, if there are better options within my budget that are better I really need to know asap before I buy the wrong light lol, my head is gonna explode from trying to choose the right light and I don’t want to screw up before I even start by purchasing the wrong LEDs lol

1 Like

You’ll have a hard time lighting that space well with leds on that kind of budget. You can do it, but plants will be shy of their maximum flowering potential. I’m not familiar with many of those lights, but their effective light footprint is usually exaggerated quite a bit. You’ll be better off using the actual power consumption of each, and using the 50 watts per square foot target method with them.

Another option would be to get into a little more quality lighting, and put it together as you get more money available. Or, go to hid lighting. You could probably get a couple of decent 600 watt mh/hps setups for close to that.

3 Likes

Hello @TwilightZone I think, you should use this for the grow space: 36 sq ft (6x6) and a befitting wattage of 1152

Just finished building my shed build and I have same foot print and I am running 4 400 watt cob LED which each one is about 200 true watts.

Ernie, thanks for your reply I was looking at this Morsen MAX12 Super Bright led grow Light 3600W. What brand cob light do you have? This one has gotten really good reviews, a lot more powerful than the mars 2 I was considering, the Cobb is 399 and the 1600 mars 2 is 500 lol

@Smokin_ernie built his light as there are either good lights for sale (very expensive), Amazon lights (not that good but cheap) and diy. That’s where a lot of us fall in with the led’s.

You might want to stick your nose into the thread: Let’s talk diy lights and get current on what you need to know before your purchase. And, ask lots of questions.

Welcome!

3 Likes

@Myfriendis410 sorry but you must have confused me with someone else. I have roleadro lights. @dbrn32 is the man about diy lights. I think anyways. Mine were recommended by @Countryboyjvd1971

2 Likes

@Bogleg is who I was thinking of, sorry. Too many posts, too old, and too high lol.

3 Likes

No worries

1 Like

Couldn’t find par data or spectral distribution graph for that morsen light, usually not a good sign.

Said something like 530 or 540 watts though, so about 30-40 watts per cob before driver and fan loss. Based on what we’ve seen out of the knock off cobs, I’d probably shoot for a 300ish watt cob light from timber over that. You’d probably need a couple of them to do a 6x4’ well. But at least you’ll know where your light spectrum and output are, and be growing with some of the top leds available.

1 Like

@TwilightZone to answer your question, you’ll want more of the smaller lights, that way you can have more coverage. I use strictly Roleadro brand lights off Amazon and am having pretty good results. Here’s a picture of my baby. Grown under the Roleadro lights

3 Likes