HELP! Caterpillar infestation, bud rot! Neem ineffective

ahhh,very good!

I suppose spinosad is more humane than death by starvation via BT. Itā€™s a nerve poison for insects, so death is quick if your worried about the karma of caterpillar torture.

Did you all ever solve this issue? IN the greenhouse we have to patrol the 'Maters, and pick these buggers off individually. I know old school farmers used to make a soapy mixture to put on the stems, after plucking them all off. Sometimes, it takes a community. Sorry for your issues.

The US FDA actually says BT and spinosad are organic and so harmless to humans they let farmers us them on organic vegetables and they can still be certified as organic. They say you can also use them on tobacco, so smoking the product is not an issue. I spray spinosad inside my house. It has no odor or dangerous fumes. I wouldnā€™t spray right before harvest, but a few days before is okay. One of the few things that wonā€™t affect the buds flavor.

I hate insect since I started growing Iā€™d that hateful of me

@latewood Question? I have not seen 7 dust mentioned at all. Can it be used safely?

No. I personally would not use 7 dust.

Old tobacco farmers used to run off the worms by dumping a soap mixture around the bottom of the tree or bush, while picking all of them off daily until none were left on the plants.

1 Like

@latewood thanks but why not use it? What reports have you had to suggest not to use it. Good for a lot of insects. Not being argumentative just wondering why not use.

Do some research. Would you sprat 7 dust on your food? Or; Plants
growing vegetables. That is what you need to find out

@latewood. Ok thanks. Yes i would and ill let you know how it works out. Thanks

Up here in MA, we get tent caterpillars, and gypsy moth caterpillars. Some years they are REALLY bad. Last year it was so wet for about a month. It caused some type of fungus that wiped them out!
This year, not bad at all.

These look like what Iā€™m finding in my indoor garden, cutworm moths but Iā€™m not 100%sure thank you for posting this

BT is very specific for caterpillars. Clogs them up and they starve to death. Takes a few days to kill them, but they stop eating immediately. If you want instant death, try spinosad. Works for everything from aphids up to caterpillars and beetles. Kills the good insects too, though.

That works great if they are big enough to see.

That looks like a Gypsy Moth, that lays a s**t-ton of brown eggs on trees in a cluster. They develop into caterpillars that eat most everything, but favor Oak and Alder trees. They donā€™t touch evergreens.
Funny, I heard on the radio yesterday that people that like weed, also like IPA brews. I know I love them. They went on to say that hops are a sister plant to weed! I always notice that hops vines make cones that look like pine cones only softer, and green. Iā€™m thinking that a great way to keep those moths and caterpillars away would be to make a strong tea from evergreens, something palatable like SPRUCE, and that might keep all the pests away. The evergreens thrive here in the NorthEast.

Great idea! No moths, no caterpillars!

Iā€™m in Wisco, got the little bastards too, not limited to Cali

Mississippi as well. Pillars are every frikin wear. Little monster mobs

1 Like

ms? that is close @PurpNGold74

1 Like

Haha. Dont u love our good ole bible beltā€¦ :joy::joy::joy: im hoping we are the first to kick it legally. Not looking good tho. If i was a betterā€¦ itd be FL then LAā€¦ then us

1 Like