HELP! Caterpillar infestation, bud rot! Neem ineffective

Gosh, that’s so discouraging! You guys worked so hard & waited so long for this yield! Were you all able to salvage some of your plants? What is the BK &/ or BTK? Or whatever that you mentioned? I thought I wanted to do an outside Grow in spring but I live in the woods in the south, so maybe that’s not such a good idea. All comments welcome.
@Rugar89 @Manny_FTGUTube @bob31 @FloridaSon @Trav @KingShark @Screwauger @bruinsfan33 @Willd

2 Likes

Don’t let this discourage you from outdoor growing in the least. You just need to be vigilant concerning outdoor pests. That being said, if you don’t have easy access to your plants daily, it would be that much more risky.

3 Likes

I have to agree. While we are more succeptable to pest and other hardships that nature has for us, there’s nothing like watching your girls grow out in the ground where they belong.

I usually expect to lose one or two. That’s what makes cloning so valuable to me. I have a Crystal in the ground that is being devastated by something right now. It may be residual effects from the catapillars, but I’m not sure.

None of my other plants are having problems, so I’ve donated that one to the pests. It’s an experiment I’m working on. Why treat all my plants when that seems to be the only one they want? :wink: That’s the theory anyway.

The point is…

Outdoor can be trying and frustrating at times, but it is well worth the effort in the end.

I’m thinking of going to nothing but regular seeds from now on instead of the feminized due to the stresses of outdoor growing. I think I am coming to the opinion that outdoor growing needs the stability of regular seeds.

Learn to sex them and enjoy what the great outdoors can do for you…

2 Likes

@PHamm, Bt-k is the acronym of Bacillus thuringiensis var. Kurstaki

It’s a bacillus that when the caterpillars eat it will liberate tiny crystals that will multiply, clog and liberate a toxin in the digestive system of the caterpillars… They will stop eating, munching on the plant after 2 to 3 hours after the ingestion and they will die of starvation anywhere between 2 to 7 days…

It’s very effective… And safe for beneficial insects, birds, fish and mammals… It’s accredit for organic grow…

Hope that’s responding to your question PHamm,

~Al :v: :innocent:

5 Likes

BT-K took the 1st wave of worms out, it just takes a few days to see results. The ladies are a day overdue for their second treatment- I wanted to wait til the chance of precipitation passed so they can dry quicker.
I received the mosquito netting and hung it under the eve of our house- so at night I move the plants under the netting and also away from the neighborhood yard lights etc. Should help with the nocturnal moths. I move them out into the sunny yard spots in the morning. I don’t have a way to suspend the netting over them during the day… been thinking about a PVC type thing that can hold the net up and can be taken down or moved easily. Last thing I need in our little yard is more clutter though.

4 Likes

Where do u find them?

1 Like

I’d be interested to know everyone’s preference of strains & why. Are there some more or less susceptible to pests, etc.? & climate of growth if outside?

@PHamm Here’s a link to Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Safer-Brand-Caterpillar-Killer-Concentrate/dp/B00GVKZG8E/?tag=greenrel-20

You can find Bt-k in your local garden store or in big surface (Walmart, Lowe’s, etc.)

~Al :v: :innocent:

1 Like

Thank you. I’m learning so much from this group. I’ll tuck this away in case I ever need it.

2 Likes

Did you identify the species with certainty? They look like what we call inch worms in the South East but I’m certainly no expert.

Send us a picture if you can. What about a green house frame w/o the green house? Also if you put a bug zapper on the opposite side of your house they may be drawn to it instead. JAT

They were cabbage loopers. The descriptions I found online matched the worms here. No legs in the middle, and white striped backs.

Unfortunately, where we live everything is miniature- no room for any kind of permanent structure or anything. For now, keeping them covered under the eve at night will have to do until harvest time. I’ll come up with some bug tent ideas for next spring.

Master Gardener Association reference pic:

mine:

Our tiny spot. Limited options. This is what you get in Orange County if you only spend $400,000 - $500,000. New condos don’t even have yards or garages now. They’ve gone to high density, “high-rise” style buildings.

2 Likes

Yep, they look like our inch worms. So does that mean Cannabis is in the cabbage family?! Lol
Could you put a small zapper on one end of your house where it wouldn’t affect the plants. Is that white fence right up against your house or maybe you could put one in front of your house. They make them with black lights. That’s what I had to do to keep them from coming through my dog door. This is a good time to get one, they’re on sale OR another thought is tiki torches w citronella oil may burn most of the night if keep the wick low.

1 Like

Hey Trav,

Looked at your recent pics and got bad flashbacks! The spinosad seems to be keeping the devils at bay for me. Sprayed another 2 gallons last night.

Here’s to a happy ending bro!!!

1 Like

HAHA, yeah I was just moving pictures off my phone and kinda had the same feeling looking at them. Yuck.
Things are back on track. 2 treatments of BT-k, and some spinosad in between is keeping the bugs off the plants.

The buds that were munched have nice green fresh growth back on them and it looks like they’re filling in a bit. Hoping for some more bud density, although I don’t have a clue what to expect given all the variables.

Here’s to it!

2 Likes

Would a bug-zapper work in a closet if you have a gnat problem? :slight_smile:

Looks like the netting is helping to keep moths out. Found on the net this morning.

5 Likes

@garrigan62 so I have been seeing praying mantis all around this summer so would it be benificial if I let them room in my box? I could easily catch a couple…and they will just leave if there’s nothing for them to eat, or can they harm your weed plants in othe ways

1 Like

@Whodat66 I have had issues with the flies and knats but what I have notices may or may not be the norm. But I only notice them in the veg box they were in the flower box until I started to flower then they were gone. Then I built a veg box and they are back but stI’ll none in flower box, even though the boxes are 18 in apart from each other

1 Like

Just a shy garden spider waiting to eat pesky insects. Get em, spider!

4 Likes