HELP! Buds drying out on plant before harvest

Looking for some expert help please :pray:

Around week 7 of flowering stage. It is an auto flower and has been an absolute dream to grow this girl. Zero issues until now!

It is hot here in Melbourne Australia currently.
Sitting around 30-35 degrees in the grow tent and around 40% humidity.

Watering cycle is approx every second day with nutes and roughly every 5th watering cycle I do straight up water with PH of 5.5-5.8.

She was thirty tonight so I gave water only.

The other girl in the tent isn’t having this same bud drying out issues.

Why is this happening?

Should I be cutting these buds off and dry/cure them now?

Advise, suggestions and input will be very much appreciated as I am stressed!

Cheers for reading. :v:

3 Likes

I will cry if it is bud rot!

Also there was no issues yesterday, literally happened overnight.

Further close up pics

Sorry to say it is mold. Manage your humidity, airflow, and get rid of that exhale bag. It looks like it is a mold factory. Supplemental CO2 does no good for the vast majority of hobby growers. You need high light intensity and a tightly controlled, closed-loop environment for extra CO2 to add any benefit.

9 Likes

Ok will throw out the CO2 bags.

Is the whole plant gone or just cut buds that are dry off?

1 Like

I would carefully cut off the affected flowers and throw them away. It is probably a good idea to spray the rest of the plant with a dilute mix of hydrogen peroxide as a preventative. Be sure to do a peroxide bud wash when you harvest the remaining flowers.

6 Likes

Ok thank you! Not done a spray before, if you have any tips or links that would be amazing.

I also have a second plant in the tent….should I be worrried for that one?

1 Like

Just pour a 5:1 water/peroxide mix in a spray bottle and spray the plant just before lights out.

I suggest using distilled or RO water for the spray mix.

I would also spray the second plant. You are going to liberate a lot of mold spores when you cut the affected flowers off and you don’t want them collecting on your plant.

1 Like

What a nightmare, literally a right before harvest!

2 Likes

I get it. It sucks and I’m always sorry to see it.

What is the humidity in your grow space? Do you have good airflow?

If you get rid of the exhale bags, have proper humidity, and have good airflow, then you shouldn’t have a problem going forward.

2 Likes

Temps are too high and you should try to get it down. Max temps should be ~31 or 32. Humidity is okay at 40%. I’d point the finger at that exhale bag. You shouldn’t be having trouble at 40%.

2 Likes

Not sure I can get the temps down without getting AC unit in there.

Got a fan circulating air, I open the tent 2-3 times a day to get further air exchange

1 Like

The problem with portable air conditioners is that they exhaust a lot of heat, so if not managed properly they can make the issue worse.

You may be able to mitigate the heat with good airflow. Good airflow is also important for mold control.

3 Likes

All the vents are open on the tent, fan and dehumidifier run 24/7 - humidity is always around 40%

Those frigging bags are gone! Not happy!

1 Like

This could be the source of your heat problem. Dehumidifiers put out a lot of heat doing their thing.

Do you know what the RH is with the dehumidifier off?

6 Likes

Problem

Problem

Problem

Excuse my lack of knowledge! What is RH?

Relative Humidity. The amount of water in the air relative to the temperature.

Alot easier to manipulate then true humidity

1 Like

Ok now feel out of my depth! I only measure temp and humity only….

1 Like

And that gives u RH. Actually most meters just read in RH.

Dont feel bad. Its a learning experience. Try looking up a VPD Chart. Itll show the acceptable temp/humidity for diff stages that you want to aim for

3 Likes

80% when off!

1 Like