Help and suggestions for my first grow setup

Hope all is well people… Happy and excited to be apart of this community. I’ve recently committed to starting my first grow and although I’ve done tons of research through forums, videos, etc. I still feel like I know nothing and will need a lot of help.

As of now I have a a 48x36x72 vivosun grow tent that basically splits into 2 tents (I’m pretty sure I will not use the divider and just use all of the space as 1). I have a 600w led light but I’ve already decided to purchase a better light before I begin. I was under the impression that leds were the best route but I’ve read so much about QB lights on this forum and I have absolutely no knowledge of QB lighting. Can you guys help educate me as well as throwing any suggestions as far as lighting?

I would like to try and fit 2 maybe 3 plants. Should I go with 1200/1500w leds or should I invest in QB lighting? I’m also not interested in any DIY projects if it’s not absolutely necessary or worth it.

Looking forward to the feedback!!

2 Likes

28893 35516 hey welcome to ilgm

1 Like

@dbrn32 @garrigan62 @imSICKkid @WickedAle should be able to answer your questions

1 Like

Go look at horticulture lighting group dot com. Or LED grow light depot

3x4 isn’t a common sized tent, so not a lot of led fixtures designed for it. I think your best bet there would be to assemble your own fixture. Otherwise you’re going to end up with a little that’s a little small or bigger than you need.

Oh ok I get it thanks… I wouldn’t even know where to start in regards to building my own… if you can point me in the right direction that would help a lot. Also what are the rough estimates of cost and time?

1 Like

What is your budget?

Really depends on what you wanna do and how handy you are. Maybe +/- $500 for space that size to get something good. If you do something with led strips and have a little mechanical aptitude you could probably do it on a Saturday afternoon.

1 Like

I was hoping I can spend roughly $300-400… but honestly if I can save up til the end of the month and double the budget… I must also add that I do plan on upgrading my tent when I get more space in the next few months if that helps with any suggestions.

1 Like

I’ll definitely look into it this week and see what I can do… appreciate the input. May have a few more questions for you in the near future.

1 Like

This video should help. You don’t have to use these strips, there are cheaper strips.

3 Likes

Well if your upgrading your tent do you know what size your gonna be going to? The quantum boards are awesome but after you go bigger then a 4x4 I think it’s better to use the strips.

2 Likes

I would listen to @dbrn32 and the others about the QB. I purchased a blurple before ever getting on this forum bc well the purple light looks cool and I saw pictures of people using them everywhere. It didn’t take long to realize well they suck. They can get you through a build or you can even find some nice set ups on horticulture lighting group or Amazon already together. You just do some basic assembly. If you get started without getting everything in check and ready first you’ll have more problems getting going than if you just suck it up and have a solid foundation first. Speaking from experience. I just wanted to grow and didn’t get everything together as I should have. Definitely get good soil, good pH pen, good light a d fans for circulation. Don’t skimp on lights or pH pen. I had to buy a second pen bc “oh the 12$ one will work”. PS no it doesn’t. Better lights will be your best friend I promise.

4 Likes

Lol thanks I definitely had a $15 ph pen in my amazon cart!! Well appreciated my friend!

4 Likes

Ya put it back! You’ll regret it and end up buying a different one anyway. All my advice is coming from my mistakes. I got ansi and didn’t get everything in check first. That has been my biggest mistake.

2 Likes

The 15 dollar PH pens aren’t terrible. And they come with the calibration packets so you can test them and know. There are things that you can go cheaper on, and some things you cant. Grow medium, lights, and ventilation are the 3 pillars to me of a good foundation. To DIY your own lights are about as easy as hooking up a tv. Everything is plug and play in a sense, and you will save hundreds if you can drill a couple holes and tighten some nuts and bolts.

2 Likes

Great advice! Good to know thanks!

2 Likes

Just make sure you have your tent size figured out before you plan your build or buy :metal: hit Dbrn up about the light you plan to buy before you actually buy it. Do it all the right way and you will have a great experience along with some great weed at the end.

1 Like

Hows it going @dbrn32?.. do you think 2 of these 3k lights would be decent for my 3x4 tent? also how many plants would you suggest in regards to that spacing and these lights?

1 Like

Probably not enough for flowering, it may do ok for veg though.