Helmut head Seed shell stuck on

Seedling is on day 2 with shell still stuck on. its grown long and thin about 3 inches and its laying sideways. i had it in a dome yesterday, today I have the shell laying in a bottle cap of water. Not sure if I should dump it, remove shell or leave it.

1 Like

Looks like you might have bigger issues than a shell sticking on it (but can contribute to the issue you cite.)

Soil looks too wet, which results in unhealthy roots. What are you using for lighting?

2 Likes

Try to remove the shell. If you can get it off, she’ll be fine. Just need to add more soil around the base of the stem to give her stability back.

3 Likes

i tried, it snapped like a icicle. Back to the drawing board, thanks though.

Yeah, unfortunate but it just happens sometimes. Plants are like that.

3 Likes

Mist the seed cap a couple times to help soften it up use 2 toothpicks to pry apart and remove be careful not to pull up on the little sprout. Also add back fill. Happy growing :v:

2 Likes

I had two GSCE sprout and one did exactly the same thing. I babied it for 2 weeks before it finally withered and then snapped in my fingers. But the other GSCE is a Beast now just 60 days later

4 Likes

Yup, any time you get a helmet head, just mist the shell with purified water. Take a pair of pointy tweezers, close them and slide between crack on shell and slow let the tweezers open on their own. If it doesn’t work, sprit again and try. Max of 3 times is all I’ve ever had to mist and it pops right off.

2 Likes

Good one. Thanks

Ages ago, someone here suggested this slightly different than what others have said. I have found it to be significantly better than misting alone.

Do the quick mist and then put a solo cup or some kind of small yogurt container over the whole thing. Couple hours later it’ll come off like a wet skin flap when you been in the hot tub or bath too long. If you don’t do the humidity dome over the whole thing, they stay pretty thick skinned and leathery. If it’s a thick husk seed they will bend and still snap off at the stem. Mist inside the dome cup first too before you cap the helmet headed seed.

I have found in my seed runs if I over ripen the seeds, they have much thicker skins on them. Not to go off on a tangent.

1 Like