Hellraiser grows Zkittlez and Banana Kush in coco with Jacks 321

@violagirl0 wow, she is a beauty. nice job!

5 Likes

Most of the time the answer would be yes - water to run off at every watering.

There are exceptions to that though.

Small/tiny plant in big pot - watering to run off could keep soil too wet for too long, leading to over-watering.

Using organic ferts/dry organic ammednments - watering to excessive run off can wash out the nutes you want to keep in the pot/soil. When using chemical salts for nutrients (most nutes that are not organic) then you should water to run off to keep the salts from building up too much.

10 Likes

Good size plant, very nice!

I defoliate weekly in flowering and go after the largest fan leaves first, then let the other leaves grow for a week, hit them again and take the largest leaves and keep repeating until all the fan leaves growing from the branches are pretty much gone. Then I’ll start on the large leaves coming from bud sites - large leaves with an easy to get to stem will be removed on the last couple defols.

You are coming up on a traditional defol day - day 21 of flowering - good time to get all those huge fan leaves off. I’d start there and then weekly go thru and continue to remove large leaves, specially those that are shading your bud sites.

Now is also a good time to clean up the plant bottoms a bit more, get rid of larfy bud sites that just are not going to grow good bud, these are usually in the bottom third of the plant and also within the interior of the plant - those bud sites will not get much or any light and won’t produce well, not worth my trim time so I chop them early so more plant resources can be sent to the upper buds that do get a lot of light.

12 Likes

Thank you! Each photo is a different plant (there are two of them lol). Platinum garlic bag seeds which means they got crossed with something. They’ve cloned very easily and have been absolute beasts. Both plants are very similar as well in their growth patterns. One I mainlined and the other i topped but right now they’re too bushy to tell.

2 Likes

Okay, I’m gonna get to cutting then! Thanks for the insight. I really didn’t know where to start. It’s actually two different plants (both platinum garlic bag seeds). I can’t wait to see what they do finished. They’ve been monster plants and really fun to grow.

3 Likes

See next grow journal

13 Likes

Hell yeah let’s see how it goes down!

3 Likes

@Hellraiser yeah okay so while it needed to be done that was so painful for me!! I’ve never had to cut so much off a plant! Every low sucker branch I kept thinking “I can clone that, don’t throw it away”. :weary::weary::weary:. It literally felt like I was performing an at home alter sacrifice of my first born. Did I do okay?

8 Likes

Looks good! gotta get some light penetration to those other buds

4 Likes

Trimming sucker branches hurts my heart too. Learning that balance is going to be difficult for me I feel

4 Likes

Where did u order those from and what size are they?

1 Like

Looks great, nice cleanup! Much more bud sites getting direct light, more air flow, less humidity, you did good.

5 Likes

Probably from where I recommended, bghydro dot com, then do a search for POT ELEVATOR and they will come up, they have sizes from 13" - 26"

5 Likes

Thanks a lot @Hellraiser

1 Like

Public service announcement - the place that sells the Radicle mesh grow bags suck, name of the company is Garden Gear Supply. I was planning on using them for my next grow but the company sucks and can’t/won’t deliver the bags.

I placed an order for Radicle grow bags 6 weeks ago, after a few weeks with no delivery I tried to contact them, no replies to email, all calls go straight to voicemail and they did not return my calls. So got ■■■■■■■ (why hiding that - rhymes with Say Sal) involved as that is how I paid for it, then I finally get a email stating they had lost the order but was able to find it and will ship the bags immediately. 3 more weeks go by, still no bags and once again no replies to emails, the tracking info is useless, says USPS is still waiting for them to drop off the package.

So, no more Radicle bags for me, will stick with Rain Science as they have great customer service and fast shipping 3-4 days rather than the 2 weeks the Radicle bags took, the one time they actually came.

15 Likes

That’s crazy I guess I will be switching to rain science also

1 Like

Ordered some 5 gal. Rain science bags from Gardin 2 weeks ago, 10 bags, got free shipping and fast delivery just waiting for the next repot, thanks for the tip hell👍

2 Likes

@Hellraiser Hi again!

Just a quick question, I’m a noob when it comes to pot elevators but is 13 in big enough for 3 gallon pots or should I get 16 in or 18.5 in?

and the bottom saucers should I get them bigger?

Thanks in advance

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’m using 13" for 7 gal pots…I may be mistaken though. As long as they support most of the bag it’ll be fine. Drip pans I would get bigger…I went way bigger and bought 20" (all my hydro store had at the time). They’re a little on the big side, but super easy to suck up any runoff.

edited to add: I even use the 13" risers for the outside plants that are in 10gal pots and they do fine.

5 Likes

@MaD-VapoR Thank you so much!

I use a 3x3 so I wanted to make sure they wont take up too much space.

I use 3 gallon fabric pots. So 13’’ elevators and 20’’ drip pans should be good?

2 Likes