Hellraiser grows Gorilla Glue and other stuff

Hey @Hellraiser since the last time we’ve talked I also have upgraded the grow space with the 2in foam 4x8 sheets. Got 26 sheets of it from a job site that was left over, it also has the aluminum foil backing and front on it so I pretty much got blessed with that man it’s helping for sure with these weird weather days we’re having. I’m not sure if you remember it when I first started on here I was having some major temp and humidity issues and you were more so the main one giving me advice on it, but needless to say I think I got those 2 things dialed in so far lol. Now I’m gonna get screwed with like a 100 degree temps lol

1 Like

@Blue89 i got a ac unit. Bit costly but definitely worth the money. Haven’t really looked for one thats capable of working as a 3 in 1 function (dehumidifier, heat, and cooling) this one has 3 modes but it doesn’t work well at all as a dehumidifier so I run my dehumidifier and ac unit nonstop. Its helped me tremendously because my grow is located in the basement on the side that does flood lmao and I always have high humidity and the temp isn’t as cold as you think down there I was having issues keeping it under 90 degrees after putting in the dehumidifier because it exhaust into the tent not out which is why I got the expensive ac unit that’s a dual hose so it can exhaust the heat out. Sprry if this has no relevance to you I just thought it might be helpful

4 Likes

Got to be careful where you are looking, as the trichs on the bud leaves will go amber before the trichs on calyxes, we want to look at trichs on the calyxes only.

Like in this pic with the bud leaf, if you looked at that, you’d think plenty of amber, time to harvest while trichs on the calyx can be still mostly clear/cloudy.

But yes GOG 1 and GSC are a little ahead and could be taken a week or so before the others.

I’ve tried every trick in the book, using ice cubes last few days, trunk splitting, days of dark, etc… While some of that can make a tiny difference in trich appearance or frostiness and such, won’t do a whole lot to increase THC amounts, which is largely determined by genetics and luck of the draw (getting a strong pheno of the strain).

10 Likes

Yep, it’s always something else that pops when you think you’re dialed in and then the season changes and throws things out of wack, at least with hot you can solve with a AC unit.

7 Likes

@Hellraiser gotcha man. This is my 3rd grow so I’m still learning but im always willing to learn more! You think planning to chop on Friday would be too soon on the GSC extreme and GOG #1? Took a whiff of GSC extreme last night and boy oh boy smells like chocolate lol. But I’ll have to get some better pics of the calyxes just so hard to keep a steady hand or find a prop to set the microscope on so I ended up getting leaf pics on some

1 Like

Snip a small piece of calyx put on paper and zoom in

4 Likes

They would certainly be good smoke if taken on Friday though I would probably go just a little longer (another week) but that’s just personal preference. Just scope them out and look at middle and lower buds as well as they can be a bit less mature than the upper buds which leads to some growers taking the tops first and letting the mids and lowers go another week or 2.

4 Likes

Cool man. Just trying to get a feel on when everything will be done. I’ll plan for next Friday to chop the GSC extreme and GOG #1 and another week after to chop the GOG #2 and Bruce Banner. Then when i get back home here in a bit ill try and snip some calyxes and update my new post so I’m not cluttering up other posts lol

3 Likes

Yea that’s how it always is no matter how good or how experiences of a grower you are something always happens lol. And @BigCat420 i ended up buying
2 portable ac units last summer before I got the insulation all put in and everything cuz I’m in the garage so it gets really hot out there since there’s no insulation in the walls lol but I appreciate the thought of trying to help out.

2 Likes

No problem man always willing to help whenever I’m knowledgeable on a subject and think it can help

1 Like

Sorry for being a week or so late to this topic and resurrecting, but here’s my latest stringed acquisition… She’s taken a lot of attention from her siblings lately. Great player.

And yeah, D8 is a little different, but no joke.

7 Likes

Sweet axe!

1 Like

You can tell they pay special attention to the “Paul’s” line even in the SE segment. Quality is darn near my American made Silver Sky… VERY impressive for the $…

1 Like

Hey @Hellraiser would you mind sharing with me what your nutrient regimen looked like in late flower when you were still doing soil and AN connie line? I’m doing 5ml silica, 8ml each of A+B, 5ml cal-mag, and 6ml overdrive per gallon. I’m feeding 1 gallon per 7 gallon planter every watering (~2-3 days). I’m going into week 7 on my second ever photo run, and I’m worried that I may be under-watering and underfeeding since they went yellow and couldn’t hold themselves up last time as well. Last time I really sweated it out for the last 2 weeks of water only constantly clipping off yellow leaves. Thanks!

3 Likes

Plants are looking good, just some yellowing of the large fans leaves on the one, would not be too concerned about it, better to be a little underfed than overfed at this point in the grow.

In late flower I was pretty much done with calmag and silica, which I usually stop after 5 or 6 weeks of flowering.

I also would have been ramping down on nutes starting the 6th week after feeding heavy during mid-flowering (weeks 4 and 5).

This would be my late flowering nute mix with AN

3ml CalMag (stopping after 6 weeks)
6ml each of part A and B of Connie bloom
4ml B52
4ml Overdrive
8ml Bud Candy
6ml Nirvana
6ml Sensizym
6ml Rhino skin (stopping after 6 weeks)

Yeah that can be normal in late flowering as the tops just get too heavy for the branches to hold up, it’s why many of use a trellis net or plant stakes or plant yo-yo’s to give them some support as it sucks to open the tent and see colas bent over and laying on the tent floor.

6 Likes

Thanks so much, sounds like I’m in the ballpark and just worried because I don’t remember seeing many yellows in your tents, sir :slight_smile: Looks like I’ll order a couple more sets of yoyos to get through the next few weeks, and will plan on scrogging once I move the next set of girls in there.

2 Likes

I would have removed the large fan leaves earlier in the grow so they would not be around to go yellow.

3 Likes

Ahhhhh OK, I gotcha. I am still a little hesitant when it comes to defoliating. I always remember you saying something along the lines of not removing any fan leaves coming out of a bud, so I tend to err on the side of caution kinda like how much water I give. I swear you gave me a phobia of overwatering from way back at the beginning of this journal! LOL

2 Likes

Yeah I tend to rant a lot about over-watering but it’s usually the most common problem I see with new growers. They want to love the plants too much and think a little water spritzing every day to keep the top of the soil moist is going to help when it really hurts the plant.

Now I’m in a completely different mindset with coco coir, which you can water like crazy and not have over-watering problems, new growers should definitely check out coco.

11 Likes

Have you tried / do you have any thoughts on a blend like Fox Farms Coco Loco? Considering trying as a “compromise” after current grow (in Happy Frog).

1 Like