Hellraiser grows Gorilla Glue and other stuff

The most important thing while drying is not to over dry, once the buds get too dry (under 56RH or so) some terps will evaporate off and there is no getting that back.

Slow dry is best dry, near 60F and 60RH will give a nice slow dry and preserve terps.

The problem most new growers run into is: when are the buds dry enough to trim (if dry trimming) and close up in containers to sweat out internal bud moisture. This will require checking on the buds daily (after a few days anyway) and checking the moisture content, I just feel some buds and can tell when they are ready but that takes a good amount of experience. Some are using moisture meters to help determine this (when reading gets near 11, dry trim and close up in a container to start the sweat/slow dry process). Though I would probably start the process at 11.5 to be sure they aren’t too dry. I like to dry trim and close up the containers when buds are about 68RH and slowly bring that down over a week or 2 by opening the containers for a bit every day.

See the grove bag thread for more information on the moisture meter process

Yes having to burp and monitor RH in a bunch of jars sucks hard. I use CVaults for that part but food grade buckets with covers would work just as well. I prefer to keep separate plants in separate containers (unless they are clones then it doesn’t matter).

Once in the bucket or other container, you want a RH meter to monitor the humidity, close it up and see what the RH settles down to, then open daily for a bit to release some moisture, then close up, let the buds sweat out more moisture and repeat until buds are in the 58-62RH range, though I prefer closer to 58RH for very sticky strains like my Cherry Ice Cream. At that point you can put into grove bags or mason jars for storage. Nice thing about grove bags is they don’t need to be burped, buds in mason jars should have a quick burp for a couple weeks at least (quick burp so you don’t dry them too much more). Or can leave in the bucket for the burp stage (couple weeks) then seal up in mason jars if going that way.

I don’t use RH packs for drying, curing, or storage, don’t need them in air-tight containers as the humiidity level will stay the same as long as they are not opened. I do use boveda rh packs for the jars I leave out for smoking as they are opened many times a day by my family, friends and myself and they would dry out quick.

11 Likes