Hellraiser Cloning

I hear you. I was just concerned that my plan of taking clones during late veg, for the next grow, repeat, had limits. Beats me. Maybe someone who knows can chime in.

4 Likes

Ditto - maybe @Hellraiser or @Cannabian can elaborate.
And maybe tweak my plan! LOL!

Kinda off/on topic - but does ProMix HP have built in nutes?
I’d really like a medium with nothing premixed in so I can control EXACTLY what the ladies are eating. It also seems like a neutral medium would be great for starting clones and doing a SoG.
Hmmm…

HGE!!

2 Likes

Hey to clarify what I meant lol, a clone does not tend to grow as vigorously as a seed plant of the same strain. What I think the mistake was in the understanding is that clones are genetically identical plant material. The original mother is best used for clones. After many successions of cloning clones, it is possible for the genetic code to become less reliable. This is similar to inbreeding animals… you dont want to make children from sister and brother or dad and sister too many times lol… or yall will start playin banjo with 1 front tooth and a hound dog next to ya. While clones are a tad different in that mom makes more moms etc. Or dad makes more dads… down the road genetic instability will definately occur. That said, many folks have cloned clones with varying degrees of success.
I would discourage it unless you are either trying to mass produce on a large scale or trying to do rescue breeding.

2 Likes

No promix hp does not, unless its clearly marked on the bag… Ive never seen that.
As for clones taken from a clone or a plant late in growth phase. No its ok to do. Later material is a tad woody and as such generally is more difficult to clone than early veg material, but it can be done. Another way to do this, is to reveg the plant you wish to clone. You can harvest all but the bottom branches… cut them back to a couple branches with some green material still on them. Set the plant under weak 24 hour light until it starts to sho new growth. Then reduce the the light to typical 18/6 and increase intensity. Then when the plant has suitable material… clone away! You will have a lot of material too.

2 Likes

OMGoogle!! :rofl:

Blockquote

But now for the drawbacks to growing clones. And they’re some pretty big drawbacks. Clones are easy to grow, and they’re usually healthy enough. But seed-grown cannabis plants have a degree of size, health, and vigor that clones can’t ever reach. This is partly because of the strong central taproot that emerges from seed-grown plants. Clones have a wavy scrim of roots, but no main taproot. And part of the difference is because clones have a tendency to “decay.” Cannabis growers all over the world describe this phenomenon: after a few generations, clones lose their vigor. They start to get weak, susceptible, lower-yielding…and then they often give up altogether. Beloved genetics often disappear forever this way. Many people believe this is due to “genetic drift”: some kind of progressive buildup of mutations, or perhaps a progressive wearing down of the ends of the chromosomes (a process that happens in many replicating cells, and is called telomere-shortening).

Mutations do, in fact, appear spontaneously as plants grow and could be passed on through cuttings. However, there’s no evidence that this leads to progressive weakening of clones over time. It seems more likely that something else is going on. Every now and then you meet growers who this doesn’t happen to — and they’re always the ones with the most obsessive cleanliness practices. Some of them run clones for years without problems. We think that “clonal decay” is the result of the progressive accumulation of plant diseases. This is partly because we know that the clone economy in states like California, Oregon, and Colorado has led to an historic spread of cannabis plant diseases. People have been sharing and selling clones for years, and the practice has massively expanded in the last decade. As clones travel between grow rooms, they carry disease with them — bacteria, viruses, fungi, and even insects. Growers know this, and paranoia is setting in. Many people won’t accept unknown clones under any circumstances now. But nonetheless the result of this clone economy has been a massive explosion of pesticide use.

I won’t get into pesticides right now. That’s a different story (read about the work we did on it here ). But the point is that clones carry disease, and seeds don’t. (Although there is some evidence that seeds can still harbor certain plant viruses, we haven’t seen this for cannabis, and if it’s possible it’s certainly very rare).

There’s a TON of info on the nets! But like everything I read - I check here with the pros! :joy:

HGE!!

edit: I guess blockquote doesn’t do crap!! That’s from the net - NOT me!

4 Likes

While it is generally more difficult to clone older wood, it can be done. I would suggest ether a reveg or keep mom plant in veg and learn to head back your cuts. A pot plant can stay in veg pretty much indefinitely if it is a photo. You can clone a clone mom, and do this several times, every time you do it runs the risk of a genetic error. So try to limit the amount of iterations you do.

2 Likes

What you say is true… there is potential for all of that to happen. One issue with clones is that no introduction of new genetic material creates weakness in a plants natural defenses. This has been known for many decades and is the foundation of why Minsanto is so evil. Their intensions were good, but the results were horrific and quickly became all about the money. I spelled the name wrong intentionally.
What is for sure… clones are a great resource for growing material. They are easy to transport and as such are considered a vector fir transmitting disease to unsuspecting growers. Most major growers will buy clones and quarantine them through an entire life cycle to be sure they are healthy. They will not pass on a virus or other bad stuff. That material will be cloned and the process repeated.

4 Likes

Totally agree on Monstersanto!
They’re the ones who will end food production across this country.
If all the growers of corn are growing the same seed - that they CAN"T COLLECT AND HAVE TO BUY YEARLY and a disease comes around that we can’t control - Goodbye Orville Redenbacher!
And it’s that way with every crop they touch.
We desperately need to make sure they DON’T get into the cannabis industry.
I’m sure they’re already working on it though…

HGE!!

EDIT: I didn’t say that - I copied it from the web!!! Sounds reasonable though! LOL

2 Likes

That would be me.

I’ve made clones from clones for years with no problems, no loss of vigor or potency. I also keep my mothers/clones in a very clean and healthy environment. I sterilize my aero-cloner and tools when taking cuttings. Everything done as cleanly as possible.

What many would claim is genetic drift is just keeping mothers and clones in not so clean/good environments which can lead to diseases and pathogens that would certainly lead to a loss of vigor and everything else along with that. Environment is key to maintaining healthy mothers/clones.

Do it right and you’ll be tired of smoking that clone line long before you ever have any problems due to cloning a clone.

22 Likes

Too late! Monsantoo are already in the cannabis industry

2 Likes

Thats why yer the clone master!

Just now at the Lebanese plant…

10 Likes

So it sound like there’s nothing inherently wrong with multi-generation clones in theory. The problem is (as usual) in the actual practice of that theory.

I heard a guy talking about taking clones and using his fingernails to both pinch the branch, and to scrape away the epidermis (is it epidermis on a plant?) before applying clone gel. That seems like a recipe for introducing a wide array of “unknowns”.

5 Likes

Well damn, but I figured…But Corona Beer is one of the biggest players in the industry should tell me something! LOL!

2 Likes

This. I kept a special pheno of Master Kush around for almost 10 years. I was on a 5th gen mother when I finally said goodbye.

8 Likes

here is my 3rd generation clone, of a clone, from mother plant looks like its working to me . and i have taken clones from that making a 4th generation.

she is 58 days old ,and 34x31 by 21 tall on second level of scrog net.
:alien: happy growing

10 Likes

@Hellraiser
Thanks for the cloning lesson. I finally got everything I needed and today is day one for the tangie clones.

Only thing I did different was the 8 hour bleach run. I did just 2 hours. And 2 hours of just tap water.

Happy growing!

8 Likes

Nice, happy cloning!

6 Likes

Hey, didnt i hear about this on the show Travelers? is that what Trevor had? :wink:

3 Likes

Just a quick update on Kandy 0.2. I have spotted the first sign of roots!

20 Likes

Checked again, saw 4 more root tips pointing out, so she’s in the dirt, and back under the dome for now. Thanks for all the advice once again @Hellraiser!

10 Likes