Hello Everyone. Newbie preparing for first grow

Welcome to the community

I will definitely research a bit more before buying something more. Wife asked today if I was keeping track of expenses. :man_facepalming::innocent:

I did get my tent, exhaust, and intake fans setup tonight. I need to pick up a good power strip to start connecting power.

I recognize I don’t know what I don’t know, so I am more than happy for feedback or ideas. The last thing any of us wants is a dead plant. #cheers

5 Likes

Welcome to the community. :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Thatll get you through about the 1st half of vegging but you’ll definitely need a second light to finish up I’d personally recommend the 360$ hlg 260 xl rspec kit I think if you throw that 1500 at the back and run the xl you’ll get some gorgeous dense flowers , best of luck don’t forget to keep the humidity up and ph low :grin:

2 Likes

Welcome bud!

welcome . new grower here also. The T4 may be a little small for the 4x4. I have a T6 in my 4x4 and that seems to do the trick. you will be able to run it at a lower setting to pull the needed CFM and it will run quieter.
I run a T8 in my 4x8.
There is a wealth of information here so my best advice is to read, read, read., Read the guides. Read the Journals. There are so many good ones. this is a good one.

Good luck! don’t be afraid to ask questions. This isn’t those other places where people will call you stupid because you don’t know something.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard! Nearing the end of my first run - so feel your trepidation!

Always lots of very clever heads here to keep us on track! :+1: :sunglasses: :v:

2 Likes

Welcome to our community . You have seen those here are able and willing to give advice on how to get the best results for successful grows. good luck and happy growing. :rofl: :bat:

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

There is so much to learn, and a number of different ways to get there.

My idea was to grow in soil, but I really want to set up an auto watering system. It appears soil is more problematic for automatic watering.

After reading https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/diy-automatic-watering-system/

I think building a system like the one above and using ME coco/perlite as the medium.

3 Likes

Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome here! I just finished my first grow which was Wedding Cake. Half expressed a sativa side and half ended up purple. All very nice plants. I attribute the purple ones to being to the side of the tent, in Soft Pot not the hydroponic pots the greens ones were in. I thought I had harvested too early but after curing and rolling a J last night we are very pleased with the results. A super nice wake and bake.

Mine grew amazingly fast! ILGM seeds.

4 Likes

I realize I may have fallen into the Amazon grow light trap. :man_shrugging: The reviews were great. :man_facepalming:

I spent several hours reading reviews and information about lighting. I think I’ve narrowed it down to a couple of top brand options.

There is a medical dispensary and grow store here in town, and the people working are really friendly and all grow. They have a gravita 1700e at the store for roughly $1250 before tax. I know it’s a good light and gives a sale to a local business.

The other light is the HGL 650r, which is a bit cheaper.

My questions at this point are:

• when it comes to use, quality, and yield in a 4x4 tent, is the gravita light any “better” than the HGL?
  • would it be okay to use my blurple light in conjunction with either of the above options?
  • are both of these lights completely overkill for a new hobbyist, and a spider farm light will do just great?
1 Like

Hlg will do better, and hlg is a great option for a new hobbyist grower. Especially if you will be continuing after this grow.
You can blend any light spectrum, including blurple.
Happy growing.

4 Likes

Lights are the most important factor in growing quality and quantity. If you have the budget you should consider the HLG. It’s definitely top of the food chain. I grow mostly for wife’s medical needs and a couple other family members. I personally only smoke occasionally on weekends. I just finished up a grow and have plenty of supply. Even though I don’t need to start another grow I find myself wanting to start one. The point being is even if you only consider yourself a new hobbyist, if you’re like many you’ll find that growing these plants or as I like to call it medicine will become almost addictive and very rewarding. So if you can afford it buy the best and you won’t regret it. :+1:

5 Likes

How do you keep the humidity up I thought you needed a dehumidifier not a humidifier

I’d say HLG I just got my 100 in the mail the other day

2 Likes

First try control environment in the room that tent is in. But there’s only so much that you can do there. Depending on your overall seasonal environment you will need to set things up accordingly. For example during the summer months my humidity in tent usually gets higher especially during veg. So I run a dehumidifier in the room that tent is in. That helps control humidity in tent by my intake fan pulling in the rh level that I’m wanting to achieve. During winter I months rh levels get extremely low, so I use humidifier in tent and a Inkbird controller to turn humidifier on when needed. Achieving proper rh and temperature can be difficult but you just want to get as close as possible. It’s not absolutely necessary to get the proper VPD, but it will help.

4 Likes

There’s a support group on the forum for blurple users. But I mean it kinda how we all start.

6 Likes

Ok I dont know what rh is or VDP and can you answer this for me… when you are growing auto flower and the plant starts to flower, all you need to do is change the lights to 12/12 right? Another question is do you put the fan on high or low

I definitely plan more after this grow. I bought 20 wedding cake fem seeds and 5 gold leaf fem seeds from ILGM. I will grow 4 plants to harvest and then get a dozen started for outdoor transplant in northern climate. Beyond that, I hope the grow bug catches. Then I may be able to fix my house landscaping! :man_facepalming:

1 Like