Hello and Some grow room/lighting questions

Hello!
First time poster, long time reader.

I reside in Massachusetts and the Wife has given me the “green light” to make a grow area in our cellar/basement, whatever you want to call it LOL. I’m pretty much just looking to grow for my own personal use and maybe look into making oils and such down the road, also for my own personal use. I’ve been reading around here for a few months and have found a lot of great information from a great community.
My plan is to set up two (2) grow areas that are 4’ wide by 4’ deep by 78" tall. One area I’m pretty certain I am going to stick with T5s for veg growth, as I’ve had good luck with them so far. I currently have a 4 foot, 6 bulb T5 that I mix 3 veg lights and 3 bloom lights. I think one more of these lights would cover the 4’x4’ area pretty good. The other area would be for flowering, but I am considering LEDs for this.
So now it’s time to shed my shell and ask my question, I was thinking of getting either three 600W LEDs, or five 300W LEDs. As far as wall wattage, they come to about the same (650-ish) but I’m thinking coverage. With the three just in rows (I I I) or the five like the dots on a die (four corners and the center). Cost also works out to about the same, just looking for a little advice!
Thanks for reading, love this place so far!

• Dog

You should look into cmh 315 or 630 it will be a light that works really well bulbs are where it’s at 315 w Phillips 3100k bulbs work awesome and won’t be buying 2-4 lights just one and done

1 Like

Yeah, as @Hogmaster said. I’d go with two 315w cmh grow lights. That way you can spread out the lights some and have a bigger footprint

1 Like

If you are a do-it-yourself-er, @dbrn32 has numerous posts with information on LEDs that can really save money in the long term and really grow weed well. I’m relatively new to the LED world and not a DIY-er. I’m trying a 285W (1500eq) LED from Amazon for some veg and flowering growth that was about $150.

I still ultimately use a 400W HPS/400W MH for the last several weeks of flowering. Good luck

1 Like

I run 3 315cmh in a 4 x 8 grow room, so far it seems to work really well.

First off, thank you all for the replies! A concern for me with an HID or CMH type setup was heat. I’ve heard these are hot and cooling is a must. My paranoid self will fear, like a fire hazard or other not-so-fun things. I would have to see what was involved with the DIY LED as well. This is why I’m asking! Thanks again!

• Dog

Led still have some heat. I think the cheaper ones have even more heat than good ones since they’re less efficient. There’s several DIY LEDs around here. I think it comes down to how much are you willing to do. You can get more power with more work on frames and heatsinks. Or you can run more diodes at lower power with less heat to dissipate on plain aluminum plate.

@dbrn32 is the man when it comes to that sort of stuff. So if that’s what you’re interested in just need to tell him what kind of budget and how much work you’re willing to do.

Thanks for plug bro!

Happy to help if I can.

1 Like

Where can I buy that light at. And will it raise my light bill a lot

Well thanks everyone for the responses. I’ve read up on the CMH lights and I kind of like them! I’m thinking of starting with a 315 first and maybe adding another down the road. DIY LEDs I may attempt down the road, but for now I think the CMH will do. Thanks again everyone!

• Dog

If you’re referring to the CMH lights, I found them right on Amazon and not very expensive.

• Dog

Thank you. This is what I’m working with

Thank you. This is what I’m working with

External Media

dogzilla716

November 2

If you’re referring to the CMH lights, I found them right on Amazon and not very expensive.

• Dog

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

H146

November 1

Where can I buy that light at. And will it raise my light bill a lot

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.