Hello again everyone

I’m back. Sorry about the abrupt departure last month. I was ill, (Not with the virus). So I am starting a new journal for my first ever grow. I was able to start 2 Green Crack, 2 LSD and 2 Chemdawg; let me tell ya, I had to do a little experimenting to keep the babies alive with mixed results. Here are some pics.
The following is initial set up with the exception of the MH light. I originally had it a lot closer to the grow kit with a shorter covering.

I initially set up the MH lamp and but it got entirely to hot. I really thought I baked and drowned them trying to keep them cool. They got up to 106° F at one point.

1. I first tried adding a fan to cool the air between the lamp and plant kit.
  2. Keeping the fan; I added the soil you see surrounding the six seedlings and wet it down to increase the humidity, (RH was in the 30’s). Then I added ice cubes into the empty holes.
  3. I did all of the above and I was still getting hot temps in the low 90s.
  4. Then I got this, “Thingy” that turns my intake and exhaust fans on when the temp in the tent gets too high.
  5. As a result of all this, I BOUGHT A NEW LED LAMP.
  6. I have been keeping the tent doors and windows open in the room to let the cold air in.
    My results are above. I am concerned about all of them.
    The two that are upright look like they are straining for light. The two that came thru the soil look like they are dying. The last two, I peeked at with a toothpick. I could barely make out the seeds doing something. I didn’t want to mess with them too much.
    If it is possible, would ya give your opinion, criticism and advice. I really appreciate it. When I have grown other types of (veggie), plants, I have a tendency to over water. Also, in one of IGLM readings about PH, it stated to check the soil by the roots. Would someone please tell me how to do that without hurting the seedling?Next, I have been reading a lot about PH and my house has well and purification system where we have to routinely add salt. If my water’s ph is too high, how do I lower it? I might of missed it in my research, but all I have read is how to test it; not how to fix it. The gentleman I purchase the soil from swears by it and said I wouldn’t have to worry about feeding them for a month.
    I am changing out the lamp today with the LED 200x10 full spectrum light. The articles I read said it would be sufficient in 4’ x 4’ tent.
    Whew…done…
2 Likes

Listed below is some of the information you requested to be included in our post.

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  1. Green Crack
  2. LSD
  3. Chemdawg
    Received seeds from ILGM
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
    ORGANIC SOIL

• Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
    Initially they are in a grow starter kit w/heating pad. When they are ready, I will take recommendations on whether I should go straight to the 5 gallon bucket shown in my pictures or transplant to a 1-3 gallon and eventually graduate to the 5 gal. If all six survive the growing phase I will decide if I want to keep all of them indoor or if I would like to separate them, 3 indoor and 3 in a small green house I was given last year and never used, (Still in the box).

• PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
    I am using distilled water until I can figure out to adjust the ph of my filtered faucet water. I just recently read about testing the runoff. Would I used the same method as testing the water with the addition of a filter of some sort, (I was thinking of using the cheesecloth I have on hand???).

• PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
    Do I need a special meter for this?

• Indoor or Outdoor
    Indoor/maybe 3 outdoor

• Light system
    As the picture and note I posted earlier, I had original had a MH; ran into a major heat issue. As a result, I invested in a LED previously mentioned

• Temps; Day, Night I will record in the future. Since planting the temps have fluctuated as low as 61°F and high above the 100° range.

• Humidity; Day, Night
    I will record exact numbers and times in the future. Once again since starting the RH fluctuated as low as 30% all the way up to a 90% reading.

• Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
    Yes. I will have to look up the measurements on both the intake and filtered exhaust thru a flexible duct out the window with a cover

• AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
    As of right now I have a humidifier. If later in the growing process they need AC I have a stand alone or window AC

• Co2; Yes, No
    If the CO².is coming from a canister, then no.

To bring your ph down, one product you can use is called PhDown. I use white distilled vinegar. There are other products as well. You will really only have to measure your tap water and how many drops of down it takes to get it right a few times, then it just becomes your recipe. Like when I do a 2 gallon feed, I use 1/4 tsp of vinegar to end up with 6.5. I grow in soil.
Good thing you got your temp under control. That was hot.
If you got your soil from a guy that is good with it, and advised you no nutes for at least a month, I would take that advice. I have a couple just entering flower that have never been feed, just good soil and ph’d water. That will change very soon in flower, but none so far.
I like to transplant a minimum of times. If I was going 5 gallon, I’d just do it. Why wait? But that is just my style. Many growers like the graduated transplanting stages. Just pic what you are comfortable with.

1 Like

Day 4
I will be posting more later with pictures. I just need to share because I am so happy. I really thought I killed this time changing out the light. Two of them were shrivelled up an dead looking, two were non-existent and one was growing completely sideways and the last one was sprouted upside down and was so delicate with tweezers to turn the tail face down…This morning I woke up and granted they are not as healthy looking as I’d like, I don’t care though because all but one looks alive again.!!!

2 Likes

Day 3 and 4
• Day 3 & 4

1. Green Crack
2. LSD
3. Chemdawg
(Received seeds from ILGM)

ORGANIC SOIL

• Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths

Distilled Water (I am having to water frequently because soil is getting very dry within hours of watering previously).

I am going to be buying either the Beginner’s kit, (sold out) from ILGM or find one that is commonly used when I am done reading different blogs and posts. I am concerned because of the different information on temp, how strong of a light you should use for different indoor tents and how high the humidity should be.

• Indoor or Outdoor
3 Indoor /3 outdoor if all six survive

• Light system

• Above is the light I am using now 200*10 full spectrum grow light. I was using a MH 315w. I just couldn’t keep it moist or cool enough. I am holding onto it just in case they need more light later.
• This sheet came with the light. I am usually good with numbers. And I understand different colors help with the development of plants of any kind. I swear my brain froze to death or something.

MH information

• Humidity; Day, Night

• Day 4
MORNING

• Above Top Number is general tent temp. Bottom is inside the soil of the grow kit

Yes.

• Plugged in one bottom is a temperate timer I have set up with the intake/exhaust fans

As of right now I have a humidifier. I will be installing some time soon. It is still to cold out to put ?one in. I also have a dehumidifier if needed later

• Co2; Yes, No
• Yes

Future plans:
I am rereading the,Beginner posts. I will finish making a wooden slat to fit in the window for the exhaust. I will be getting a 6" flexible hose for the intake to block the light later.

Lessons learned.
1. NEVER start your seeds without having the atmosphere under control.

My pictures didn’t post…huh. I wrote in Word, attached photos and copied/pasted

You have to click this to add images.

Let’s try this again. This is what I posted last night. Hopefully this time there will be pictures. Thanks for letting me know @QueenCityB Queen

Day 3 & 4

1. Green Crack
  2. LSD
  3. Chemdawg
    (Received seeds from ILGM)

ORGANIC SOIL

• Vessels:
Grow kit

Distilled Water (I am having to water frequently because soil is getting very dry within hours of watering previously).

I am going to be buying either the Beginner’s kit, (sold out) from ILGM or find one that is commonly used when I am done reading different blogs and posts. I am concerned because of the different information on temp, how strong of a light you should use for different indoor tents and how high the humidity should be.
• Indoor or Outdoor
3 Indoor for sure /3 outdoor if all six survive
• Light system

• Above is the light I am using now 200*10 full spectrum grow light. I was using a MH 315w. I just couldn’t keep it moist or cool enough. I am holding onto it just in case they need more light later.
• This sheet came with the light. I am usually good with numbers. And I understand different colors help with the development of plants of any kind. I swear my brain froze to death or something.

This is the light I was using

• Humidity; Day, Night

• Day 4
MORNING

Above Top Number is general tent temp. Bottom is inside the soil of the grow kit

Yes.

Uploading: 20200402_130443.jpg…

In the picture above, the flexible duct exhaust will be attached to a piece of plywood in window just out of view.

This vent will be on the outside of the window.

• Plugged in one bottom is a temperate timer I have set up with the intake/exhaust fans

As of right now I have a humidifier. I will be installing some time soon. It is still to cold out to put one in. I also have a dehumidifier if needed later
• Co2; Yes, No
•No
Future plans:
I am rereading the,Beginner posts. I will finish making a wooden slat to fit in the window for the exhaust. I will be getting a 6" flexible hose for the intake to block the light later.
Lessons learned.

1. NEVER start your seeds without having the atmosphere under control.
1 Like

Woohoo!!! It worked.
Day 5
From here on out, I am only going to post the subject matter that changes everyday. Anyone who want to know my set up so far is welcome to read the replies above. Of course if there is a problem, I will reach out for advice with pictures to help.
The photo below is from this morning. They are looking there best, but I am ecstatic because they are alive. Also, I have been reading other posts from the beginner’s section. One thing a lot of them had in common was only watering every few days a week at the most. I have been spraying the outside of each plant and spraying the hood. So I thought maybe I am watering them too much. So I didn’t water them last night before bed. I checked on them first thing; some of the leaves had a.yellow tinge. I read it could be over or under watering them. I figured they turned yellow because they didn’t have enough water.

Temp & Humidity

PH
Morning
Distilled Water
Afternoon
Distilled Water
W/temps. & rh

Evening

Someone noted I should stake them upright. I thought they would be to delicate, so I put the tin foil there to use as a prop on the one that was leaning really badly. The other pieces of aluminum are there to reflect light up in a hopeful counter of the light above pulling. I used tin foil because it doesn’t retain heat.

I also increase the height of the plastic dome because the two taller ones were hitting the top of the original one.

Lesson learned:
When germinating make sure to do individual containers per seed, so you can adjust for height when one grows faster than another seed. Plus it will be easier to check RO. Also, in my last post, I didn’t attach the sheet of numbers below.

GOAL TOMORROW
Cut the grow kit into individual pods. Adjust their height.

1 Like

Good Morning
Day 6
Morning 7am
It looks like 5 out of 6 are alive, but not thriving. I checked the PH of the soil and it was 6.6. The water I used was 7.0
I am worried about all of them because their leaves are turn yellow and they curling under. What isn’t yellow, is light green . I was going to cut the tray and try to adjust for height, but even the smaller ones are light colored too. ALL of of plants’ new leaves are coming in already looking dead. Here are the pictures from this morning. I am going to be posting on one the other threads for help since my journal isn’t really producing a lot of traffic.
These are the picture from this morning. I took them after immediately opening the tent because it was way to warm. 85° F.

Underneath squarish paper towel there is a seed sprouting. It hasn’t lost it shell casing yet.
I

Day 7
It has been a week and my babies are alive but sickly looking. I went and looked at the photos with the different issues. I couldn’t really figure out which one it was.
What I did read that helped, was everyone is reporting RO. I had never had any RO to check. I looked at the pictures again for lack of water. It was very simular. So I watered each one a tablespoon of water, (PH 6.6) and waited. I was finally able to order a TDS-3 meter and soil tester that see how wet they are.
The two pictures below are from this morning and just now. I see a difference on the leaves; they look, “Perky”.

I am going to post this on the other thread that deals with environmental issues and see what they think. I am hoping that was the issue. I will know for sure maybe later tonight or tomorrow morning when I check on them.

I germinate the seeds individually in 3x3 tray inserts under a tray dome. When they run out of room under the tray dome, I put them individually under 2 liter plastic domes that I always have on hand.

Day 9
Update. This is going to be a short entry.
I posted pictures and a description of my issues with watering and temperature on environmental issues. Didn’t get a lot of responses, but I have to be thankful for the people who did respond, (@QueenCityB, and the others who responded on the other forum too). I think my plants are going to make it.
I see a difference, but I am going to wait until tonight to post before and pics after

Lesson Learned: Ask for help before it too late.
Goal today: transplant into separate containers to adjust for height.

1 Like

@Raven71 what up raven how’s it growing over there

You probably know this, but I get my soil wet before I transplant into it. I think it’s less shocking for the roots. Good luck. I just did a transplant yesterday. I enjoy this type of work. It’s all zen like to me.

1 Like

I thought I would add… I always water my young babies with a turkey baster. Seems to always be enough, and very gentle.

@QueenCityB that’s a good idea to do that a turkey baster I will keep that in mind Queen City b

1 Like

Hello everyone. I just wanted to give an update. My little ones are looking so much better. I think it was a combination of not enough water and the light burning them
The first picture is from 2 days ago and the second was from this morning. I can see a difference

Last night was the first time the temp. didn’t go crazy high. I am thinking about transplant the tall ones to styrofoam cups, (Maybe bigger), so they don’t fall over later. I’d like to do them all, but I think I would risk hurting them because they are so tiny. We will see what happens.

1 Like

Day 11
Good Mornin from the East Coast. I decided yesterday to give it another day before deciding whet to transplant or not. I took these pics just a bit ago and I think it would be best to trans plant the one LSD, (Center) and one Green Crack, (Right Bottom). My little Chemdawg that wouldn’t lose its’ shell casing finally did. The problem is if you look closely, (Bottom Left), the first set of leaves, look like they are stuck together with new growth stick out. Should I take toothpick and try to get them apart?

I accidentally posted the same picture. Let’s try again.