HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP (seedlings keep dying)

Yes my friend you are correct. I use a spray bottle and give it about 10 squirts every morning

1 Like

So unfortunately I did try adjusting the light for the second batch of dead seedlings (this is my third) but they all died still (it also made the temp on the plants close to 85degrees). Everything has died the exact same way :frowning:

They only last about maximum 1 week before falling over. I usually pull them out a day after they’ve fallen

It is stretching to the light but that also means that roots are forming and beginning to function

Aight. I dropped the light way down and turned the intensity to 1 just so it doesn’t get too hot. Hope it works!

Here is the LAST survivor :cry:

The first photo earlier was yesterday but I couldn’t post it at the time. I must say I am pretty shocked that she wasn’t dead when I checked this morning.

Also some dirt blew onto the plant when I was spraying them. Thats not a problem right?

1 Like

My clones all do that right at first

Ya I think the light is too close now. She is noticeably worse after I moved the light. :cry:

I think this one is gonna die too…

:cry: This sucks man

1 Like

Must reading given the problems encountered.

Might I offer some advice. Go get a small 2’ grow light from Amazon or Home Depot. They are like $20 start small then progress. Just like starting any seed slowly harden it off when changing.
I use a 17 watt tubular fluorescent grow light to start my seedlings and it works perfectly fine 3” away.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Thank you guys! I will check out that article and I might just get a seedling starter from amazon. Pretty much what you described but it has a humidity dome and the pods all there together. But I’ve already dropped two more seeds. This time in much smaller pots. I originally dropped those seeds (for the dead seedlings) straight into the 5gal pot :frowning:

hopefully the smaller pot helps with overwatering issues and drains/dries quicker.

also planning to JUST spray now until they bump into the top of my little humidity domes.

when do you guys usually recommend to remove the domes?

4 Likes

Well another batch of seedlings died. I think my coco coir must be SALTY :pleading_face: I read that sometimes the vendor does not properly rinse the coco

Hello @eisenhorn, real sorry to hear about your starting adventures not producing.
I wish I could help with the coco problem but I use soils. But maybe I can help getting your seedlings started.
I usually start my seedlings in jiffy pods and move to Happy Frog soil for vegging. The seeds can be in the pods for a couple weeks before needing to be transplanted. Maybe getitng them more established then putting them into the coco will help. I also have a simple 15000 lux fluorescent light I use for seedlings, it can be closer to the plants without overheating them.
I understand coco also locks out calcium and magnesium, and that is why I use soil. And yes, if the process as explained online doesnt go well, you can have a lot of sodium in the medium. Is it possible to try sprouting the seedlings in something else and transferring to coco when they are a little more established?

I think you are right. I grew some crappy bag seeds in my wifes garden soil (random bag from costco or tractor supply co) but they were all male. As soon as I got fem seeds and the coco I could NOT get a seedling to survive more than a week :sob:

I havent had too many issues with getting seeds to sprout, but I have burned clones and seedlings to too “hot” of soil–too many nutrients. Every method has its benefits, and I am lucky enough to have a big yard and compost bin to do soil grows and recycle the leftovers. Maybe give some seeds a shot at jiffy pods/happy frog soil for a couple weeks and see what happens. Happy Frog doesnt need nutes for about 4 weeks, so fewer problems at the start. Good luck, we are here for ya!

I find sprouting seeds in a seed starting mix and then moving into coco works better for me.
A small yogurt container for the first few days is enough.

1 Like

Yeah I just lost all or most faith in the coco coir. Right now I got a tote box with holes drilled in the bottom to rinse the coco and the water is coming out brown. I heard that means the salts did NOT get rinsed at the manufacturer even though it said “pre rinsed” on the brick

1 Like

I think most brown is just dust particles.
Once I get the seeds started coco is great.
I just seem to have better success in dirt from seed.

1 Like

Aw man. I’ll be SOO sad if my plants die in soil lol here we gooooooo

1 Like

Coco scares me. I’m sticking to potting soil myself. Good luck… You are in good hands here at this forum

3 Likes

I apologize for the late response. Looks like your coco coir is drying out too much. Also you RH should be atleast 60% for the seedlings.

1 Like