Heating a grow tent

From a fellow grower: I am installing a grow tent in my unheated garage. What would
be the best method of heating the grow tent?

Even with temps hitting here in the low 50’s, my two kits of HLG 260xl rspec keeps the tent warm.

Now if I lived where I am from, I’d building a extra shell around the 3 sides of the tent and add some insulation. This would help keep the heat in.

But this would also probably drop the RH% in the tent down so a humidifier would probably be needed.

Side bar…what temps is this person going to have? That is a must have knowledge so a good game plan can be implemented.

I would try running the lights of the night during the coldest part of the day hopefully the heat off the lights will do it if not you can add a heater outside the tent. And pull the warm air in the tent at the bottom through the pass through hole and exhaust hot stale air out the top with exhaust fan. Hope that helps good luck

A radiator styler plug in heater in the room outside the tent with a thermostat will help. I would also place a some styrofoam insulation boards under the tent so the plants are not on a cold floor inside the tent.

4 Likes

Someone here recommended a 5 gal bucket, filled with water, with an aquarium heater keeping the temp stable.

Seems like the safest route to me.

3 Likes

@kellydans @Nicky @BobbyDigital @oldmarine ok i moved the heater I have outside the tent temps up and down too much ,now i have it outside by the passive vent drawing in the heat from there. Temp is steady @75.4 never been stable like this.so does you all think this better way to heat than having hot air blow right on plants in tents?

3 Likes

For me I wouldn’t want more direct heat in the tent. I like the idea it being sucked in. If its holding temps, then keep trucking on. :+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

Good to hear now I sit and watch the temp gauge for a few minutes

2 Likes

Heres the way it looks. Sucking in exhaust fan on low, two tower fans on low. With all flaps closed up to 76.0 wow

4 Likes

This is why I have lights on at night. Its just to hit snd humid here in South Texas to grow during the day indoors. :+1::+1::+1:

UP HERE in fat man IL. It is cold in basement 64-66 tent is nice and warm, now i got to take out small table that heater was on ,more room for growing!!!

1 Like

Yep , I like Control temperature and humidity from area you pull fresh air from outside tent. I’m with @MrPeat , Sounds like you got it under control my friend. Good luck

3 Likes

@MrPeat @Drinkslinger @Moondoggie @ILGM.Claire i will be going down in a min. I never thought the draw from the exhaust fan 440 cfm would put heated air in so much to make such a difference. But the space it opened up by removing heater and small table is greAt I thank everyone for the input here

1 Like

Ok so I have a question, so have any body used a heating lamp or something like this, hook it up to an ink bird thermostat. Don’t feel comfortable living a heater plugged in unattended all day ?

No my heater in controled by temp goes on and off as needed. I would think the lamp you would not be able to control the heat output

I would use this as thermostat to control power, even with light on low 70 lights out 60 so trying to find something, like said above just not thrilled about have a heater on lug in all day in my basement?

1 Like

@kellydans @Kingkupa @MrPeat @Drinkslinger @Moondoggie @ILGM.Claire ok now the temp is high 80 in tent. Heater is on timer same as light, i agjust temp down. So should I leave heater on same timer or left it on a plugin 24/7 for contanst temp. Basement temp 66 when heater is off for 6 hours. Whomever wired the 200 amp service set up 2 20 amp breakers just for the basement alone which I love
So any ideas growers of the Green

The gray little tower fan rotates blows heated air into tent from passive vent

1 Like

66゚ is not a deal breaker Lights off Winter Basement grow I’ve never had a problem. I would put the heater on a different timer than the Lights. Thermostats also work good.

1 Like

Ok i can do that but how long? Timer setup

1 Like

My heater has a thermostat it will maintain setpoint. Heater will maintain the set point temperature in the area I’m pulling my fresh air from. only use in the Winter time.

2 Likes