Having trouble getting started

Having trouble getting started. My plants started out tall . Naturally they started leaning. Didi not burry deep enough? I added more soil to give them extra support. Am i pretty much screwed or can i still save?

5 Likes

No, you’re not screwed at all. You’re seedlings are just showing a little stretching which means they need more light. Can you move the light down a bit?

3 Likes

Let’s start out with a support ticket. Please be as complete as possible. I am particularly interested in your light and your watering practices. Please include the type of soil, type of ph measuring device, etc. This will help others help you better.

To create a grow support ticket we need some basic information to help diagnose the issue.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?

System type?

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS

Indoor or Outdoor

Light system, size?

Temps; Day, Night

Humidity; Day, Night

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

Co2; Yes, No

If you can, upload a picture of your plant. It helps the diagnosis, if needed.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you :slight_smile:

Thanks!

4 Likes

We water as needed. Not everyday , dont wanna over wAter

2 Likes

i think your light is to high, someone correct me if im wrong

1 Like

12 in off the tops of the plants

@Dmullinax I would drop the lights down to 6" if the heat is not above 80°F or so at the plant. Those lights are incandescent which means they give off a lot of heat.

1 Like

It can easily get up to 80 in there with those bulbs. I just lowered them. Down to 9 . thats as low as can go

1 Like

That’s why I switched to 15 watt (90 watt equivalent) led spots for my little ones. I can put them as close as 4" if I use a small fan.

Maybe half the heat with just as much light as your bulbs.

1 Like

Please fill out the support ticket so we can help with your starts. How often do you water, what is the ph of the water, what kind of water, etc.

You may want to think about installing some lights that are more ideally suited to growing MJ. Those will grow weed but you will be fighting issues with them and your yield will be low compared to other lights.

@dbrn32 is our lighting expert; he might have some input.

4 Likes

@Dmullinax Howdy! Okay here’s how to do it! Transplant the babies into a much larger pot, leaving the stem at the current level. VERY slowly start mounding the soil around the bottom of the stem, leave it a day or two, then mound a little bit more and on. Tiny roots will start to grow from the buried part. Most people make the mistake of burying the whole stem but that will cause the stem to rot. If you are feeding them stop. You want the root system to develop before the top of the plant, so the stems and such can support the adult plant. I use gypsum because the calcium makes very sturdy and strong branches.

Welcome to the best place in the world (and I do not use that term lightly) to gain any type of knowledge you may desire concerning growing. The people here are the best and are at your disposal for any questions you may have. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question if ya don’t know just ask! Come visit my grow journal ‘Come grow with me by hcg’ and while you are there check into starting your own! Please tag me as I would love to see how everything turns out! Great growing!

2 Likes

The one that’s leaning looks a little over watered from the picture. They all don’t look bad but the light could be a little closer. With the seedlings you just need to keep them moist around the top of the soil you don’t have to water the whole pot. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Look im not looking grow large amounts. Trying to keep it small and simple . Honestly if i can pull 5oz outta of these, id be overjoyed. Just using tap water. Ph appears to be good. I didnt buy the premium soil because it wasnt availbe to me.

1 Like

@Dmullinax it should be no problem to get 5 oz , you have a nice tent there if you could maybe just invest in a Ph and PPMs testers and your soil if you don’t have a way off using anything then you have to make it work if you could fine a good few little pebbles and put them in your soil to help with the drainage off the water from the pots were there is a will there is a way and enjoy your experience there is plenty of help here mate :v:️.

1 Like

You have to get some vague idea what your PH is, especially with inexpensive soil. It’s just not negotiable if you want to be successful.

Then, the lights. The incandescents aren’t going to cut it. Just the wrong spectrum. Some LED or CFL and about 50 actual watts per square foot. You need 5000K color or higher for veg and 4100K or lower for flower. You can start with fewer watts but by the tone your plants are full size, you need to be in the 50 watts per square foot range.

You’ll have more questions but it looks like you’re off to a great start.

2 Likes

I bought one of those ph / moisture testers off amazon. It says its at 8ph. I do have a “36W LED Plant Grow Light” also but i thought maybe i should wait on that.

1 Like

That’s great @Dmullinax you need to get you Ph down to between 6.2- 6.8 and that light should be good you will get some soiled advice on that soon also.

1 Like

Fill out the support ticket
That light looks like an incandescent and 6” away will destroy your seedlings
Do the support ticket so we can give you accurate information

2 Likes

I would get some cfls your going to kill your seedlings dude

1 Like

I’m in agreement with the others, par watt vs heat watt not in your favor with those lights. As already pointed out, that’s why they wanted to stretch on you.

You can grow weed with just about anything, but it’s a little more difficult to do it well. If you’re looking for 5 oz you’re going to need a pretty big upgrade in lighting. Even a 36 watt led wont produce those kind of numbers.

5 Likes