Having problems

I was wondering when germinating seeds in water do you plant the seed as soon as you see the Taproot or do you wait for the tail to grow a bit bcuz I have a seed in water right now that split and I can see the Taproot but it hasn’t come out of the seed fully. Not sure whether to plant it or wait?

I even tried to germinate directly in soil and that isn’t working either. I would just like to see something come out of the dirt and I am having no luck with that. I have been trying for two weeks and no success

I usually wait till the tap root has a bit of length to it before I plant. A soak for 24hrs then a damp paper towel works for me

1 Like

I drop the seeds in water 24 hours until they sink Then I put them in damp tissue ina plastic tip until the tap root sprouts then drop in soil, never had a failed seed

1 Like

So once the seed splits I’m supposed to transfer to a damp paper towel? It can’t go from the water straight to the dirt?

1 Like

What do you mean by in a plastic tip

1 Like

My question is does the tail have to be long or can it be planted as soon as the seed splits and you see the tail?

You must live right. Dropped 5 strawberry kush into water w/ a little peroxide on 18th, no tails so moved to paper towel on 20th, gave up on towel and put them in starter soil on 23rd. Nothing.
Did the same with 3 jack herer autos. They sent out tails within 24 hours. Directly to pots. They are showing their first true leaves. Go figure.

So as soon as I see the Taproot plant it even if it’s not all the way out?

I try to let it get to 1/4" - 1/2". If you are in water, you just don’t want to leave it in there to long because it can drown. If it sprouts quickly, you can assume it’s tap will also grow quickly meaning you can let it get longer before potting. Make sense? Otherwise to damp paper towel to allow tap to grow some more. Plenty of growers would move to small pots too. I do it both ways. I truly do not think there is a right or wrong at that point.

1 Like

Ok thanks

This last go round I just soaked them in tap water for approx 30 hours. Then right into soil. Red solo cup with seed starter potting soil, plastic wrap over top with a few holes in it and a rubber band around it to keep it in place. Make sure soil is moist. I also put them on a heating pad. Every single one sprouted and are thriving.

So was the tail completely out or was the seed just cracked open and you planted

My tap root is the same as @beardless. 1/2 long maximum. Carefully lift her out, poke a shallow hole in the soil and lay her down. Gently fold a little soil over the top and let nature take her course

2 Likes

I just hope i have some better luck this week

1 Like

Plastic tub I was meant to say sorry buddy and I don’t wait until it’s split I just put it in a glass jar of water for 24 hours by then it’s usually sunk to the bottom then I take them out and do the paper towel method until it sprouts a couple cm then put it in the soil a knuckle deep

1 Like

Also make sure the tap root is facing down

1 Like

So what would you say about an inch drrp

1 Like

So you would say about an inch deep

What’s up ,Welcome to ILGM
less than a inch ,and just sprinkle some soil on top . do not compress the soil .why make it harder for them

1 Like