Having issues with my soil mixture ? I guess?

**Ugh :woman_facepalming:t2:… I’ve popped seed like 5 days ago now, and have been running my RO water in my mixture BEFORE I put the seedlings :seedling: in their 7 gallon fabric buckets. I have a mixture of Fox Farms-Ocean, Earthworm castings, Lime, & Perolite. I usually pick out a good portion of the wood chunks that comes in the fox farms, but I didn’t this time, and it’s the only thing I can figure that is going on… but my PH run off is 4.6, and I am not starting it off with a low PH, I am not comfortable till it’s above 5.6 at least. I don’t know what else to do, I seriously cannot add anymore lime, I mean each pot must have 1/2 a cup… **
any suggestions would be helpful… :woozy_face:

They are growing really well and I want to plant them like yesterday… I am at my wits end with the water situation… I have ordered a Hydrologic Pre-Evaluation Filter RO1000, because the money and time/effort to get that much water, I mean It will pay for itself within a few months.

Ocean Forest is already pH adjusted so why did you add lime?
Also lime does not work instantly…it slowly raises the pH over time. Lots of time.
See point #22 in the link below.

2 Likes

Because a PH of 3.6 is not PH adjusted… I’ve always added lime, and other stuff to the ocean fox farms, but for some reason this time it’s coming out really low. Last grow it was at 5.3 and I didn’t need to do too much.
That article still says you need a PH of at least 6… they are far from that

1 Like

I looked at your last grow log and they look really good.
But I never do a thing to the fox farms soil and my plant look just a good.
I dont check the soil either. Why is your showing such acidity? I dont know.
But I do know that fox farms soils all will be acidic when tested like that.
There was a whole thread on it somewhere.

1 Like

Here is what fox farms recommends for testing…

To test the TDS, we do not recommend testing the soil runoff or placing the probe directly within the soil. Testing the TDS of the runoff does not give an accurate measure of the soil’s fertility as the runoff not only includes dissolved nutrients, but also tiny suspended soil particles, which can result in inaccurate readings. If you would like a more accurate account of the soil’s nutrient content, we recommend performing a soil slurry test.

How to Perform an At-Home Soil Slurry Test to Determine Soil pH and TDS

We recommend two slurries:

• A 1:1 slurry – mix 1 part soil to 1 part distilled water (by volume)
  • A 1:5 slurry – mix 1 part soil to 5 parts distilled water (by volume)
  • Thoroughly mix these slurries and allow them to sit for about 15 minutes
  • Once the soil particulates has settled, check the pH and TDS of the slurry with a calibrated meter

Yes, I usually pick out a lot of the wood that comes in it. I had some issues during the veg stage last grow, and wanted to be sure my ph was bang on before I put he seedlings in. However, I didn’t have think I’d have this much trouble. I don’t want to burn them, or have nutrients lock out when they are so teeny… :slightly_smiling_face: it’s a little bit of extra work but whateves

I don’t know alot about RO water but I have read that it can lower the ph in your soil