Harvesting your plant

Ive got a question any one ever heard of removing your finished plant from the dirt shake off loose dirt boil root ball 1 minute then hang upside dowm anyinput

5 Likes

Never heard that one…not sure of the theory on it. Sounds like a recipe for bad soup

7 Likes

Not until now.
But i can tell you there is 0 benefits from this…

5 Likes

I dont know why that would be any different than just cutting off the stalk at the base.
Boiling the roots would kill them thus rendering them useless. Nothing would travel in or out as all the cells are dead.

3 Likes

Seems like an unnecessary step to me, or maybe more bro science, but I can’t imagine any tangible benefits from doing that. Maybe I’m wrong, who knows, maybe I’m not smart enough to understand, but whether you kill the roots by cutting or boiling, dead roots are dead roots, and should be the same either way :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’ll admit, the mental image of a guy holding his freshly harvested plant over the stovetop is pretty humorous to me though. My plants are too big for all that, I would look ridiculous :rofl:

6 Likes

Old timers use to do this they was thinking like tree goes to sleep all sap goes to roots trying to do it backwards to push everything to the plant but i don’t think it ever made difference though

1 Like

Found an article about it
The purpose is to shock the plant into closing the stomata so that it dries more slowly thus giving the chlorophyll time to break down more completely.
Please Know, This is not my opinion or viewpoint, …Just what the article said.
May or may not be true. Too much hassle for me as my drying and curing are just fine.

8 Likes

I was advised to do something similar and kinda opposite. I was told to submerge the rootball into ice bath for about 30 minutes then hang whole upside down. I havent tried it as I read leaving the rootball attached will increase unwanted starches. So many theories and practices hard to know what to do or not to do.

4 Likes

Back in the day we pulled them up by the roots shake all the dirt off hang in the barn upside down with root ball. This was in the early eighties our thoughts was root ball would help it to dry slower. Good luck :v:

6 Likes

Well i tried it boiling the root ball not an easy task but i think well worth the effort increased flavor and smell quite a bit

2 Likes

How long ago? You asked the question 5 days ago.
Just curious.

4 Likes

“Sounds like a recipe for bad soup”…That being said. I do things that are more superstition than science with my grows.

I flush the last couple of weeks…my nute company recommended and I am getting good results so I do it, but see that is not a majority opinion.

If I harvest the whole tent at the same time, I do 36 hours of dark…I’ve seen more info that debunks than supports this…but I do it. (If anything, it gives me a break before trim jail)

I flush the day before harvest (or dark period) with ice water and pack the top of the soil with ice (or one time I used snow)…supposed to shock plant into throwing last of their energy into buds and close stoma. Not sure it helps…but I do it.

I harvested the top half of a Big Bud (that was not big) last week and left the lower buds for another week to mature some more, am harvesting them tomorrow…just did their ice flush…made me think about your post.

Alls good if you enjoy what you reap.

5 Likes

5 Likes

I did it the same day and the intense smell was the next day and the flavor was there can’t wait

2 Likes

I was wondering the same thing :thinking:
I guess boiling the root also allows you to completely skip drying and cureing since if you boil it and the taste and smell is on point the very next day :flushed: :rofl:

1 Like

:thinking: :thinking: wondering the same. @1HappyPappy

1 Like

Very interesting.