Harvesting tech question

My 3 WWA autos share a space with 4 photos. One of the WWAs is ready to go (SO EXCITING). I’ve done my research thanks to this amazing forum and I understand she should be cut in the dark. Here’s my question: I’d like to do it tomorrow morning but circumstances have arisen that I may not be able to get in to my grow room before the lights turn on. Would my photos suffer if I maintain dark for a few extra hours tomorrow morning? 3 hours maybe. Also, say I were to do it tonight after the lights were off, how long does it take for the nutrients to return down to the root ball after lights out? Would one be better than the other? I would have liked to have put the WWA in total darkness for 48 hours but I don’t have a separate tent and didn’t want to harm the photos which are very happily flowering in 12/12. Next round I’ll stick to one type :). Damn! This has become an daily life obsession pretty quickly!!! :joy:. Can’t get enough!

3 Likes

To answer your question, no it won’t hurt the photos to extend darkness. But honestly, I’ve never noticed a single difference between chopping lights on or off. You have several plants, could be a good time to experiment for yourself.

9 Likes

@BobbyDigital Good to know. At least this gives me options. And you’re right, maybe I should try both. After drying and properly curing I’ve been trying to figure out how that last bit of circulation would really make that much difference. Especially after flushing or simply having stopped nutes for a week or two.

2 Likes

My personal experience is like what @BobbyDigital stated but @Nicky has some great info to move the needle towards 48 hours dark. No closet you can throw it in with a small fan for 2 days?

3 Likes

I have never been able to use a tent for dark period. If I can’t put it in a separate room I will wrap it with a large roll of brown paper. I figure it is better than not trying.

3 Likes

@Sirsmokesalot @beardless
Can’t figure out how to find the specific post from @Nicky but would love to read up on the topic. Sounds like it’s important enough to figure out a strategy. Closet space is at a premium around here but I think I’ll empty one out for the next few days. In the meantime, I’ll at least keep an eye out for a tall box that I can place over the next ones. If I start wrapping a plant it’s going to look like a huge mummy fail

1 Like

depending upon plant size, you may be able to get a box from your local appliance or big box store.

5 Likes

try this one If not I’ll tag nicky for you. @Nicky

3 Likes

@pillsbury Thank you. Found @Nicky response. This is very helpful

You can get a tall cardboard box for dark period they work well for drying too. As Merlin mentioned probably your local appliance store has one for free. If not you can order a wardrobe box off Amazon they even have a bar across the middle to hang from

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone for the information and all the suggestions. Great community of problem solvers!

1 Like

I did what Nicky told me on my original post. I left it for 24 hours (more I believe as I was busy) in the dark then I just got a good sharp pair scissors and went in the tent pitch black and cut the bottom part of both my plants, that way when I turn the light on the nutes do not rush back up to the buds (nutes are mostly stored in the roots if I understood what nicky told me) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you @Laqwanies. Hope your harvest came out as hoped. Did you visually notice a difference on the buds from when you put it in the dark to when you harvested?

Not really sure 100% BUT I felt the bud before and after turning the lights off ax they where in my opinion stiffer after the 24hr dark, I liked the idea of dark the last few hours so I will continue doing it, I mean it should make sense as when the light go off and they don’t turn on after the time the plant is used to it coming on it goes in “survival” mode and extract as much energy as it can from the leaves (this is just my thought no hard evidence :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

Noots arent stored in the roots… carbohydrates are stored in the roots. Noots are in the soil or carried in solution. The solution is drawn up through the plant via transpiration. Transpiration is highest when the lights are on. The difference in nutrient loading between lights on and lights off is barely noticeable. The plant does not take all the nutrients in the solution. They only take whats needed or accessible. If you make a solution you will notice that it becomes imbalanced over time as the water gets used by the plant, salts will tend to build up and some will fall out of solution. Yhis is because some are either not accessible or not needed or in the wrong ratio for uptake. This is more obvious in ff soils… if you water the plant will access somenof the noots in the soil as the water is drawn up… over time the noots become depleted or out of balance… the plant only takes what it needs or what is accessible. What darkness excels at is lowering water content in the plant prior to harvest. That may not be desirable if you want a slower dry time?
If you are doing a soiless grow or liquid hydro and you want less noots in your plant either simply remove the noot filled solution and replace with water or in soiless, stop watering or water with straight waterfor a few days. Does darkness increase resin production? Doubtful, the trichomes that were there in the dark, will still be there in the light.

7 Likes

That’s some really helpful info right there. I actually grow in hydro always was and always will. What I do the last 7 days I change the water completely and put only GH Ripen. Then after 7 days I change the water once again and this time plain ro water and leave it for 2 days. I never had problems with this but always keen to see what others think or what they do to get the best result possible

2 Likes

Thank you! Excellent useful information

1 Like

Any time, I am an arborist by trade and do horticultural sub contracting also. So plant function is part of the study curriculum to keep current.
Have been for over 30 years

5 Likes

Very interesting regarding your education and being an arborist. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Taking increment bores from trees
Its what I do for a living

4 Likes