Harvesting at different intervals

some of the growers here have enough high resin mmj that only a few go far enough to use the leaves and stems, even roots.

I personally use the best bud in my vaporizer or bong, for me and friends.

then the lower small airy buds and the small leaves covered in resin beads around the buds go into my cooking and hash making and generally playing around projects, expanding my horizons on ways to use mmj.

I have saved the leaves but after two seasons of not using them, gave up. If you like the leaf, you’ll love the buds.

2 Likes

I’ve been smoking weed since the late 60’s. Some very good,some very bad,and most somewhere in between. It’s pretty exciting to think that, on my first grow, I might very well be growing the best weed I’ve ever had.

3 Likes

I have been smoking since the eighties and have always been curious as to whether cannabis has gotten better or is it really all the same? With that said when I was only purchasing my cannabis, I noticed that at times the price really did not justify the quality, it was always hit or miss.

It’s certainly gotten better since the 60’s. Here in the N.E. weed back in the 60’s was a bag of leaf. Of course it was also cheap at $15/oz. It didn’t really get better here in Maine until the 80’s when they decriminalized it so possessing a certain amount was now a misdemeanor. Then the good bud started coming in because as far as the state was concerned an oz of bud was no different than an oz of leaf. Of course the price also went up. Now it’s legal but our fearless leader is a jerk and is delaying legal sales as long as he possibly can so there won’t be any stores for over a year. Which of course prompted me to grow my own which is looking like a really good decision.

4 Likes

Like I said I started in the early 80’s, and I did notice some improvements, of course prices were very high. Now street value is so high that it is rediculous. I remember when home grown was silly and it depended on who you knew, legalization is going to be an all around thing, it is going to take time because the politicians want to figure out how to tax it and how to regulate it, some good and some bad.

1 Like

hahahaha I thought MJ was just leaf! didn’t even know there was bud till the late 70’s !

2 Likes

My parents used to smoke all the time…laughing

2 Likes

@mainguy…I was wondering the same thing! Now I will use the leaves too!

1 Like

that is so true…bag of weed was the leaves.

1 Like

This morning is about the end of week six in flower mode and I noticed a difference at the top of one of the flowers. Normal? Mold?

Sorry,it’s the one on the right I’m talking about. All the others are more like the one on the left.

can you take a different angle or something or just of the one bud. I can’t quite make it out.

That’s the best I can do with my cheap camera. I have since received a much better magnifier and I don’t think it’s mold. It looks more like a very dense cluster of white pistils. It’s covered with clear trichomes.

1 Like

Ok brother I was hoping it was the light reflecting off some trichomes. Good deal and thanks for updating!

It is not mold. It is a strange growth of pistils alltogheter due to genetic!!! It is like a deformed flower in a common plant. Have you never seen it?
I often see this kind in my greenhouses.
Double flower, double leave. Etcc
Don’t worry it is not mold.
But check for humidity too. It is right stage for mold attacks your flowers! :thinking::thinking::thinking::hugs::hugs:

1 Like

Thank you. Humidity is fine. Around 40 during the day with the lights on and the doors open. It goes up at night when the doors are closed and the lights off but then I run a timed 50CFM exhaust that goes on and off every 30 minutes so humidity is only a little above 40 in the morning.

My 40X finally arrived and I was able to see that the white clump was covered with trichomes so I had figured all was well. This is my first grow so it’s a learning thing. All in all It went well. Veg kind of got away from me as it’s a small space but I was advised to bend which saved the day there. Next grow I’ll scrog.

I’m also experimenting a little with the harvest to see how the effects change with age. I harvested just a little at 7 weeks flower and after a quick cure of a small chunk I got a very nice high from two bong hits. As nice as any I’ve ever purchased so I guess it will only get better from here. I doubt I’ll let a lot of the trichomes go amber but will let some and harvest most when they get cloudy. I harvested a chunk today which had some cloudy at 7 weeks 3 days and I’ll quick cure a little piece of that to try tonight.

1 Like

Interesting to see what it looks like as it progresses. Keep us posted @maineguy

I had that at the top of my Strawberry Kush. It looked like all trichomes to me and it smokes awesome. Do not believe that is any worry. Jerry

1 Like

Have you made any drastic changes prior to noticing? Some strains may naturally do whats called foxtailing. Most times it’s usually caused by some stressor such as light or heat. Drastic swings between temperature could cause your plant to foxtail. There may also be some soil/medium issues not evident to the eye.