Harvest top buds only or wait?

A question from a fellow grower:

My plants are flowering and a lot of the pistils are turning brown thanks to your seeds. The pistils on the flowers at the top of the each branch are 70% - 90% brown. But as you go down the same branch, the pistils are still only 0 - 60% brown. So my question is, if I want the buds to be most potent, do I start harvesting the ones at the top that turn 70 - 90% brown? Or do I wait until the ENTIRE plant’s pistils turn brown?

Imo best way to judge if plant is ready to be harvested is using a pocket scope or loop and checking tricombes :+1:

2 Likes

Yes but my question was, do I start harvesting the buds that turned brown or do I wait until the whole plant’s pistils are brown?

2 Likes

@Typpo I usualy just harvest the entire plant. I’ll wait until I find that the trichomes in the upper and lower buds are where I want them to be and then harvest.

There are some members who harvest there top buds and let the lower buds mature longer but I personally like to harvest the entire plant at the same time.

1 Like

Thanks for that reply. Maybe because of the strong Southern California sun, the top buds’ pistils have turned 90% brown, trichomes milky. But the lower ones are still 90% white with clear trichomes. If I wait any longer, I’m afraid the top ones will pass their peak. I may have to start picking the top ones.

2 Likes

I like to get some amber trichomes in mine.
If it were me I would give the top buds a little while longer to get some amber trichomes and then hopefully by that time the lower buds will become milky. That way you will have some mellow smoke along with some couch lock.
But again I usualy harvest the entire plant but I grow indoors so it is more convenient for me as I use the tent I grow in to also dry so I wait until all of my plants are at a happy medium and then chop them all down so that I don’t have to have the lights on any longer.
Being outdoors it will be easier for you to harvest the tops and allow the lowers to continue.

That is a great advise. I will wait until the trichomes are amber. Thanks!

Maybe this will help you

1 Like

I did a split harvest on a WW plant last May and the second harvest was better than the first. I attribute that to the simple fact that most of us harvest too soon. There really were no negatives in doing it that way. In fact, it spread the harvest out somewhat which helped.

2 Likes