Harvest question

I am on day 2 of complete darkness, 1 more day to harvest, should I just hang upside down for a few days then pull fan leaves etc. off and let budz dry for a week or so? I know it depend on temp and humidity. But what works best for you, could us ideas to dry before curing.
Thanks in advance

Yes, the prevailing thoughts on this does seem to be 72 hours of darkness.

Then yes, most people cut and hang the whole plant upside down for a few days. Pulling the large fans off at this time will help slow the drying process by giving the plant less pours to lose moisture through and helps prevent bud rot from having them wrap around some buds and maybe keep fresh air from getting to or that bud staying too moist.

I on the other hand never endure a dark period prior to harvest. If it doesn’t happen in nature; I don’t do it.

I remove my fan leaves immediately, because they snap off easily when fresh. After a few days they get stringy and limp, and are harder to trim.

I cut off thr top kola, and all the biggest kolas and hang them. Then I take the branches from large to small, popping off fan leaves, and trimming all the smaller bud leaves as I go. Once hung; I am done until bagging, and eventually glass jar curing.

As always there is a simple matter of personal choice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually it kind of does in nature, the end of the season for ruderalis growing in the arctic circle, 6 months of pretty much solid night.

But then so much of what we do does not exactly happen the same way it does in nature and we reap the benefits in growth and yeild. Although I agree in general – when in doubt, err on the side of mother nature.

DWC doesn’t happen in nature but there is no doubt that plants grow aggressively fast and large in a well tuned DWC system.

Also most of us do not painstakingly replicate the slowly changing light period to replicate the slow change that happens in the difference in photo periods from summer to winter, one day we just switch from 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness to 12/12 even or 11 hours of light with 13 hours of darkness.

The mass consensus is 72 hours or 3 days, and there does seem to be a lot of evidence backing it up that an extended dark period the last day or two does increase bud and trichome swelling, but I haven’t seen much evidence that much beyond 32-48 hours of solid darkness makes that much more of a difference to warrant a full 72 hours.

Plants growing in a stream are “Nature’s DWC”

Introducing a point about “odd” light cycles in Alsaka, or on the axis of the planet does not prove anything.

We try to emulate natural circumstances and photo periods of geographical areas, such as the South East, and Southern California; For Indoor growing.

As always; I respond and stated that this is a personal choice, and I stand by the fact that IMO’ Science and experience is on my side!

Actually the science is not on your side, about 24 hour light cycles or this issue, more swelling does occur with a longer dark cycle before harvesting, ruderalis is the closest thing to the ancestor of all cannabis.

1 Like

How did we get on Ruderalis? Member inquired about finishing plant in darkness. I do not do this. I harvest and then put in darkness, because plant still capable of producing as you described; After being harvested.

I just did my harvest. I did only 24 hrs of darkness then hung upside down in closed tent for 7 days and now they are in mason jars at one ounce per jar for two wks or I’ll do tests

Will

1 Like

It’s pretty straight forward, and I did mention ruderalis in my previous response as well, but I’ll spell it out for you. Ruderalis is widely considered the ancestor of all cannabis, and modern DNA science confirms this, and it evolved in the above mentioned “odd” light cycles in the arctic circle in Siberia, its territory stretching to the Himalayas, parts of northern China, India and Afghanistan, where it was first domesticated over 10,000 years ago. Not Alaska, California or the south east.

Your “plants growing in a stream are natures DWC” is easily about as accurate and relevant to indoor DWC as my point about arctic light cycles compared to indoor light cycles.

And there is a reason a large amount of growers, maybe even the majority, with way more contemporary medical growing experience than you or I use the 72 hours of darkness before harvest and often veg under 24 hours of light. The science does back up these practices, and under certain ancestral circumstances, nature does provide these conditions to the plants in nature, those are my points and why I do what I do.

1 Like

I for one completly understand what you are saying. And I agree. I use the 24 hour light for veg and switch to 12/12 for flower pretty Stright forward
But growing outside is a hole new game cause your growing in nature and nature has her own set of rules witch can’t be controlled as indoor grows can.

Will

Happy to hear that you have had a bountiful harvest. And; You did it your way :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you Latewood and as the. Beatles said …" With a little help from my friends.

Will

4 Likes

Hey will, I can feel the love between brothers with a common goal. We love to watch marijuana grow I think it’s the most wonderful plant in the world to watch grow. I’m just getting started I need lots of help I get kind of nervous but it still makes me smile. I have greenhouse with the light from the sun in the day and two forefoot LEDs at night so technically the plants are going to get some kind of light for 24 hours. When I decide to cut the LED light off at that point I’m hoping that will trigger flowering and the plants will get whatever the sun gives them after that. Probably get 12 hours or less of direct sun in the house. Up till harvest. Does this sound like an equation of cycles that might be successful? I will be using my new little baby crop of OG kush. Sorry for the long question. On a sidenote the LED light during the nighttime hours will not provide any heat and so the plants will be at about 55-75 f at nighttime. What might my prognosis be? I believe they’re going to grow and they’re going to flower and they’re going to be fun to grow. Guess i’m just hoping someone will blow some sunshine up my butt and tell me it’s going to be okay sorry for the long ass tirade. Rocking Rog. Attaching a picture of a clone I got from a club that started flowering immediately I couldn’t stop it called granddad and it looks like it’s trying to go back into veg I actually have two of them one of them looks like it’s going back in to veg one of them sort of doesn’t. I’m including a picture because it’s bizarre it kind of looks half house plan half marijuana plant I’ve never seen leaves like this on a plant a marijuana plant I mean. Thanks again rocking Roger

Who can recommend the best scissors for trimming buds is there a best pair out there or can somebody point me in the direction of a really good pair. Sure appreciate it thank you Roger

I feel ya Roger they just change over night awesome, but it seems to me you will have to keep tabs on the sun and flip that Led light off when the sun shines for only 12 hours then just leave the light off. As for the scissors I just buy any cheap pair will do.
As for the temp that should be ok just making e sure that it don’t get any cooler than that, but it mite big a good idea to get a small heater just in case here the end of your grow.
I will be more than happy to help you when ever I can. But Latewoood and Stoner are the masters here…lol

Will

Yep I plan on turning the LED off after about three months or so and just letting the sun take them to flower that’s my plan anyway thanks for all the great back and forth. Maybe three months is too long with the OG kush??
Again thank you.

Rog

1 Like

They will fill out nic.ely…I growing 5.OG 5 NL and 5 SS and 15 WW
iem doing main - lining with the WW.
I can see right now that I will be in for vegging for another 4 weeks so it looks like we are in the same boat…lol

Will

Will at your leisure I would appreciate your steps for harvest using the mason jars after hanging.

Thank you

Rog

Hey Roger…Ya just let them hang till you can snap a branch but keep an eye
On your humidity.
When you can snap a twig cut all your buds and put them into mason jars.
And every day open the jars for about 2 hours. To air them out and close them up do this for about two weeks that’s what iem doing now. Then do tests on your bud till you say Sweeeet and that’s it Roger

Will

4 Likes

Hi, just cut the stocks at the soil for hanging, or pull roots and all?

Thank you

Rog