Happy frog and ocean forest!

Is this mixture okay for GSCE autos? In a five gallon fabric pot?

4 Likes

Absolutely.
Just use the ocean forest on the bottom and happy frog on top.
By the time the plant grows thru the hf it will be large enough to handle the extra nutes in the of.
Edit. Are you doing it in layers ?

:v::call_me_hand:

4 Likes

You doing 50/50? It’ll be fine… Or you could just use one or the other… Ocean Forest is a bit hotter… Ive started seeds in both… Personal preference really. Nice username by the way @Braadbuds4life420 :laughing: guess all of us brads think alike huh lmao

5 Likes

I just forgot I used a sohum, happy frog, ocean forest mix.

2 Likes

Maybe throw some perlite in that mixture to help out with drainage, good luck

2 Likes

@Braadbuds4life420 I would put the FFOF on bottom. I would then top dress with FFHF. This is how I do it. I make sure there is at least 4” deep of FFHF.

This will give your seed a better chance to survive the hot FFOF. I use only Fox Farm products.

@Kingkupa Since he is using fabric bags, the soil stays loose from my experience. But I use 15 gallon ones and the soil is loose and I didn’t
add a thing. :+1::+1::+1:

Thank you good to know

1 Like

Here is a mix for you ok you need strawberry Fields soil ocean Forest and happy frog ,now put some strawberry field’s in the bottom of ur pot half foot deep or less then mix se happy frog and ocean Forest in another container a gallon of ocean forest and three gallons of happy frog and mix together once you have done that put that mix on top the gallon strawberry Fields and ur done see the happy frog calms down the ocean Forest coz the ocean Forest soil is too hot and the strawberry Fields is there for when it starts to flower

I was a cheapskate and only got ffof and no problems with it being too hot

Your buffer zone of milder happy frog on top should be just right for a smooth grow

1 Like

Trust me FFOF is hot. Been using it for 3 years. I use Autos to deplete the nutrients out of the soil. I have had many seeds die and others have thrived in the new soil. It really comes down to the strain. :+1::+1::+1:

My Tora Bora from Pacific Seeds absolutely loved the new soil.

1 Like

I suppose I have got lucky :four_leaf_clover:

hi great info on the site, what about using, previous grow soil that had no issues as a buffer in ocean forest to make it not as hot as it is out of the bag. or should i just dump the previous soil. thanks to you all for the education i am receiving , john,(donovan56)

Im glad I stumbled onto this thread. I used a combination of Happy frog and ocean forest on my first grow.

I got about 3-4 weeks of really strong growth out of that system for lack of a better word. Then, the soil crapped the bed and I got all sorts of banged up with nutrient deficiency.

I thought it was calcium deficiency at first, then phosphorous. I am starting to hypothesize that my soil just got used up… I didn’t start supplementing soon enough. Was using General hydrophonics Flora Nova grow, and Bloom.
Overall the plants look pretty good…

first pistils were Oct 5 so great growth for just soil for 4 weeks from sept 8 to oct 5.

Some of them still look a mess, but the buds are growing and one of the plants just needed the extra nutes, I supplemented with some non-organic stuff, too and that kept them growing but the leaves are still digesting themselves.

Next two buckets I plant will be bottom strwaberry fields, middle OF and top/initial little root ball will be happy frog. That has to be big enough to let the roots establish I made one little root ball too small and the OF killed the seedling. And I am going to start with nutrients during week 3 instead of week 6 when I’m catching up the whole rest of the grow.

So, I would imagine using “used” soil won’t hurt but you might run into deficiency more quickly. These are AUTO seeds too, so I am learning you have to ride the nutes hard. I’m going to use more perlite , too because soil alone is hanging onto water for 4-5 days before they get remotely soft. Anwyays, hope this helps.

All the things you learn during first grow. Lol they could write a book :sunglasses:

@Braadbuds4life420 hi all i mixed not layered some hf potting soil with hf ocean’s with extra perlite for my little girls,2 super skunk babies… i transplanted them at 2 weeks old into the 10g fabric pots containing the hf mixture above and they are loving it… she’s 23 days old and well… she’s happy lol :joy:

I’m glad that you posted this question. I’m also trying to learn because I’ll be using feminized seeds of the GSCE in five gallon pots and using a living soil by California Super Soil and Fox Farm Ocean Forest. Currently researching about using FFOF & Happy Frog mixed for the top soil and the living soil medium for the bottom. The California Super Soil is a water only setup and comes with a bottle of nutrients (Growth Shot) that you add every 45 days. What are the benefits in mixing the Fox Farm and Happy Farm for top soil?

Thank you :blush: